OGXbox.com

The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)

dtomcat

1 minute ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Since you are having issues booting with HDD… maybe there is an issue with eeprom.  Only thing I can suggest is install a pin header so you get a better connection 

ok I'll install a pin header when I have a minute...I'll report back in this thread w/ an update.  Thanks for your help :)

779669289_picoPromSDPinheaderinstall.thumb.jpg.d783447ca82b279072ae2469e4a02d5c.jpg

1 hour ago, Dtomcat18 said:

No problem 🤞🏻

I installed a pin header and same result...just get the error.

Here's a pic of my pin header install; I used the pic you posted a couple posts back as the diagram.

2 minutes ago, gehx said:

779669289_picoPromSDPinheaderinstall.thumb.jpg.d783447ca82b279072ae2469e4a02d5c.jpg

I installed a pin header and same result...just get the error.

Here's a pic of my pin header install; I used the pic you posted a couple posts back as the diagram.

Dang, that's funny you put in a header with only what was needed... I guess if you're planning to remove it then it would make it easier to desolder...

I mean, yeah, if you have the gear then you can pop a TSOP chip off your Xbox motherboard, program a new BIOS in to it, and then solder it back on. You can likewise swap in brand new replacements that way.

But it's unlikely that you'll ever want to do either of those things. You'd only even consider it if you wound up looking at a console with a corrupt TSOP chip. That's not exactly a common fault, and it's one that's very difficult to confirm without installing a modchip: it generally results in a triple-boot FRAG, which can also be caused by a lot of other things. Even in cases where you know for a fact that a TSOP holds corrupt firmware, odds are the hardware itself will be ok and all that's required is a re-write. Buying a pile of spare TSOP chips to keep on-hand would be a total waste of cash, as you'd almost certainly never use any of them.

What is much more common is that you'll get a system with a failed / missing HDD, and to recover from that all you need is to read the system's config data from the EEPROM chip using a reader like Dtomcat's. Then you've got the HDD key needed to install a new drive - so dump some softmod files on your replacement, lock it up, and slap it in.

Once a pre-1.6 console is softmodded you can then proceed to run TSOP flashing software through the Xbox itself in order to hardmod it. 1.6 consoles unfortunately lack writable TSOP chips, storing their firmware in read-only Xyclops chips instead, so if you want to hardmod those then you're stuck with modchips.

The config data in an Xbox EEPROM chip will likewise sometimes corrupt, resulting in the console's front LED going red only. This seems to happen much more often than with the BIOS data kept in the TSOP chips, and it likewise doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware itself needs replacement. If the chip itself is still good then all you need to do is use an EEPROM reader device to program something valid back in.

Edited by Bomb Bloke
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

Is there a way to tell between a bad TSOP and a bad firmware?

Sure, attempt to reflash new firmware into the TSOP. If it works then the old firmware was bad. If it fails then the TSOP itself is bad.

Reflashing the TSOP of an Xbox that can't boot is easier said than done, though. The easiest way I've heard of to perform such a thing would be to set up a pin header, plug on an Xblast Lite modchip, and then to follow this recovery procedure:

https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/lpcmod_os/wiki/xblast_lite_manual/Extra_features#3.2 TSOP recovery

If it works, great! Take the modchip off the pinheader and you're finished. If it fails, then you can either think about desoldering the TSOP... or you can just stick with running a modchip.

Of course, if the console still can't be used normally with a modchip, then obviously the original fault wasn't with the TSOP nor the firmware it contained anyway.

In some cases a corrupt TSOP will result in a "coma console". These systems display a green front LED only, like a normal functioning Xbox would do, but they give no video output. They're almost always 1.0 or 1.1 units, which fortunately can often be salvaged with just a little re-wiring:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050525003956/http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/ComaConsole.htm

If you have further questions about TSOPs (or modchips), probably best to use another thread for those. This one is related to Dtomcat's EEPROM reader, and I don't want to drive it too far off topic.

Edited by Bomb Bloke
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bomb Bloke said:

I mean, yeah, if you have the gear then you can pop a TSOP chip off your Xbox motherboard, program a new BIOS in to it, and then solder it back on. You can likewise swap in brand new replacements that way.

But it's unlikely that you'll ever want to do either of those things. You'd only even consider it if you wound up looking at a console with a corrupt TSOP chip. That's not exactly a common fault, and it's one that's very difficult to confirm without installing a modchip: it generally results in a triple-boot FRAG, which can also be caused by a lot of other things. Even in cases where you know for a fact that a TSOP holds corrupt firmware, odds are the hardware itself will be ok and all that's required is a re-write. Buying a pile of spare TSOP chips to keep on-hand would be a total waste of cash, as you'd almost certainly never use any of them.

What is much more common is that you'll get a system with a failed / missing HDD, and to recover from that all you need is to read the system's config data from the EEPROM chip using a reader like Dtomcat's. Then you've got the HDD key needed to install a new drive - so dump some softmod files on your replacement, lock it up, and slap it in.

Once a pre-1.6 console is softmodded you can then proceed to run TSOP flashing software through the Xbox itself in order to hardmod it. 1.6 consoles unfortunately lack writable TSOP chips, storing their firmware in read-only Xyclops chips instead, so if you want to hardmod those then you're stuck with modchips.

The config data in an Xbox EEPROM chip will likewise sometimes corrupt, resulting in the console's front LED going red only. This seems to happen much more often than with the BIOS data kept in the TSOP chips, and it likewise doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware itself needs replacement. If the chip itself is still good then all you need to do is use an EEPROM reader device to program something valid back in.

It actually often results in a "coma" boot, which is a full power-up and solid green light but no activity and a blank screen. It's usually a dead giveaway that the TSOP contents are only being partially read and further confirmed when a bios is booted through the LPC, like you mentioned.