OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.xx SneakPeak!

NeMesiS

Step 3: Repacking XeniumOS with the Original Skin...

Finally, we will need to download "Xenium-Repacker" by TeamUIX
xenium-repacker.py: https://github.com/OfficialTeamUIX/Xenium-Repacker
This is a python script that will allow us to unpack and repack XeniumOS.

ADCreHegYcnxU6whKDE_KUCd233UMY77YonM8CgL

I put both the dumps into a folder and named them accordingly, along with "xenium-repacker.py".
For this python script I'll be using Linux sub-system on my Windows 11 machine.
Open up the terminal into the directory where the dumps are located.

Use the following command to unpack XeniumOS v2.3.1: "python3 *.py -d *2.3.1.bin"
A folder called "extracted_banks" will be created, rename it to something else temporarily.
Now run the command again but for XeniumOS v2.3.5: "python3 *.py -d *2.3.5.bin"

This time leave the folder called "extracted_banks" and replace "XeniumOS_Additional_Data.bin"
with the "XeniumOS_Additional_Data.bin" from the XeniumOS v2.3.1 dump.
This file (aka XOS data) will return the Original Skin and re-enable custom skins.

Repack XeniumOS v2.3.5b using the following command: "python3 *.py -p XeniumOS_v2.3.5b.bin"
You will now have pineapple free "XeniumOS v2.3.5b" 

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1

Step 4: Installing pineapple free XeniumOS v2.3.5b...

Transfer the newly created "XeniumOS_v2.3.5b.bin" to "XeniumTools" folder on your console.
Launch "XeniumTools", select "Write a RAW 2MB Flash Dump" and install "XeniumOS_v2.3.5b.bin"
Upon completion, reboot your console. Finally delete any bioses you had previously installed as they
will no longer work. An easy way of doing this would be to "Reset to Factory Default" under "settings".

ADCreHcsaK0GrDEFsDAMw_ZFhsGsTBZ3-SO82M67

We are all done... Share, upload and enjoy!

13 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Step 3: Repacking XeniumOS with the Original Skin...

Finally, we will need to download "Xenium-Repacker" by TeamUIX
xenium-repacker.py: https://github.com/OfficialTeamUIX/Xenium-Repacker
This is a python script that will allow us to unpack and repack XeniumOS.

ADCreHegYcnxU6whKDE_KUCd233UMY77YonM8CgL

I put both the dumps into a folder and named them accordingly, along with "xenium-repacker.py".
For this python script I'll be using Linux sub-system on my Windows 11 machine.
Open up the terminal into the directory where the dumps are located.

Use the following command to unpack XeniumOS v2.3.1: "python3 *.py -d *2.3.1.bin"
A folder called "extracted_banks" will be created, rename it to something else temporarily.
Now run the command again but for XeniumOS v2.3.5: "python3 *.py -d *2.3.5.bin"

This time leave the folder called "extracted_banks" and replace "XeniumOS_Additional_Data.bin"
with the "XeniumOS_Additional_Data.bin" from the XeniumOS v2.3.1 dump.
This file (aka XOS data) will return the Original Skin and re-enable custom skins.

Repack XeniumOS v2.3.5b using the following command: "python3 *.py -p XeniumOS_v2.3.5b.bin"
You will now have pineapple free "XeniumOS v2.3.5b" 

LOL. Thats me :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Not sure if anyone noticed but I was able to expose MakeMHz for hosting the very same thing
that Dustin and Ryzee attacked me for, XeniumOS v2.3.1 in the form of a recovery.bin!

ADCreHe0vKHzJDvJIgN4PfdOBPH9JDhUq3djwmua

Also during my search for a source of XeniumOS, I came across this thread:
Need Full XEnium Flash Memory Dump - Page 2 - Modchips - OGXbox.com

ADCreHd0fqR21wMwY8VUHGmVsgzIbh_7Ra10-ZSt

ADCreHerkIU808MVL0BNwLRMCH1TkI9b_vbMJUly

Ironically "Mr I never hosted XeniumOS" has done the very same thing he accused me of.
Not just any XeniumOS mind you but XeniumOS GOLD, by he's own admission it was never
released to the public by TeamXodus. Essentially uploading IP that wasn't he's!

You will notice this pattern a lot throughout their arguments, that they are already
guilty of the things they are trying to accuse me of...

Whatever professional courtesy I was extending to MakeMHz no longer exists!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eeksdee said:

Any particular benefit by using LoveMHz version of XeniumOS?

You can have a look at the releases along with their changelogs here:
Releases · MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update (github.com)

Be warned BS is included... for example:
"Disables 'skin' support to prevent black screen on boot if drives fail to initialize"
This is a load of crap, he just doesn't want anyone replacing he's MM skin...
So, take what he says with a grain of salt...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eeksdee said:

Any particular benefit by using LoveMHz version of XeniumOS?

When Xodus switched from Cromwell to an RTOS based system, clones were becoming a big problem. They built in self destruct code to combat this.

Now for the most part, Ryzee did a great job making the chip appear authentic, but its a very possible issue that something may trigger that self destruct code. Which MHz patched out.

7 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

You can have a look at the releases along with their changelogs here:
Releases · MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update (github.com)

Be warned BS is included... for example:
"Disables 'skin' support to prevent black screen on boot if drives fail to initialize"
This is a load of crap, he just doesn't want anyone replacing he's MM skin...
So, take what he says with a grain of salt...

I have seen this happen, so it's not entirely BS. But nothings stopping anyone from running a recovery if their drive fails.

18 minutes ago, Milenko said:

When Xodus switched from Cromwell to an RTOS based system, clones were becoming a big problem. They built in self destruct code to combat this.

Now for the most part, Ryzee did a great job making the chip appear authentic, but its a very possible issue that something may trigger that self destruct code. Which MHz patched out.

Agree there are beneficial fixes...
I would occasionally get a modchip that would self-destruct, fortunately I put them aside for another day.
Upon using the update those modchips would light up red, reboot and return to normal.
(I'm going by memory here as this hasn't happened to me in a long time)
Another great fix was v1.6 using component video...

17 minutes ago, Milenko said:

I have seen this happen, so it's not entirely BS. But nothings stopping anyone from running a recovery if their drive fails.

Yea but it just seems like he used that as an excuse, especially when you consider recent comments.
And the fact that MM happened to introduce he's skin on the same update...
It might have been a fix but I don't think the intent behind it was positive.

EDIT: It's pretty obvious it's not what everyone wanted.
So, I showed the community a way how to opt out of that fix if they wanted to.
Of course, with the use of the "Xenium-Repacker"... ;)

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 3:16 AM, Ryzee119 said:

I'm morally confident 15 year old xeniumOS binaries are a different beast that MakeMhz XboxHDMI fw.

On 9/26/2023 at 4:37 PM, Ernegien said:

I wasn't referring to the general use of XOS as everyone does it and just assumed that was the common "accepted" (even if still wrong) baseline we've all moved past from, but the patches to it are Dustin's work, not yours.

Again, I don't think anyone here really cares (not that there isn't still some consideration to be made, because it is Xodus') about the original XOS binaries being used, we were just discussing it in the context of you using the MakeMHz-patched version on your hardware, but enjoy your "pineapple free" version :P

10 minutes ago, Ernegien said:

Again, I don't think anyone here really cares (not that there isn't still some consideration to be made, because it is Xodus') about the original XOS binaries being used, we were just discussing it in the context of you using the MakeMHz-patched version on your hardware, but enjoy your "pineapple free" version :P

He provides the exact same binaries in his “patcher” just in a byte array. Had he released the project files he said he would and actually contributed to the community outside of his echo chamber, this wouldn’t even be an issue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ernegien said:

enjoy your "pineapple free" version

Ooooooh, we will... We all know how much this butt hurts MakeMhz!

Nice try... ;)

7 minutes ago, Milenko said:

He provides the exact same binaries in his “patcher” just in a byte array. Had he released the project files he said he would and actually contributed to the community outside of his echo chamber, this wouldn’t even be an issue.

Let's discuss that shall we and what we can do about it?

• Haha 1

Just now, NeMesiS said:

Let's discuss that shall we and what we can do about it?

How about the fact that bootloader.cpp and xeniumos_data.cpp are byte arrays of closed source software, included in a project that is licensed under GPL 2.0.

You’d think that would negate the license, considering it’s not an actual patch, but a patched binary image split into two pieces.

I mean since we’re bringing up how you shouldn’t be providing anything you didn’t actually write, this sounds a bit shady IMO.

These can be exported as is, to two image files that can be flashed to a Xenium. All the “patcher” does is write them to the flash. They’re pre-patched binaries of software he did not write, and can’t attribute a license to.

https://github.com/MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update/blob/main/assets/bootloader.cpp

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update/main/assets/xeniumos_data.cpp

If we’re going to call people out, be consistent. Don’t just play white knight on forums because they’re your friend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ernegien said:

We brought special cleaner to get rid of the banner. It is really great to not have Dustin forced on you every time... 😛

1632378935830-1.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Milenko said:

How about the fact that bootloader.cpp and xeniumos_data.cpp are byte arrays of closed source software, included in a project that is licensed under GPL 2.0.

You’d think that would negate the license, considering it’s not an actual patch, but a patched binary image split into two pieces.

I mean since we’re bringing up how you shouldn’t be providing anything you didn’t actually write, this sounds a bit shady IMO.

These can be exported as is, to two image files that can be flashed to a Xenium. All the “patcher” does is write them to the flash. They’re pre-patched binaries of software he did not write, and can’t attribute a license to.

https://github.com/MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update/blob/main/assets/bootloader.cpp

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update/main/assets/xeniumos_data.cpp

If we’re going to call people out, be consistent. Don’t just play white knight on forums because they’re your friend.

Correct...

On the surface it appears to be OpenSource, well at least the app which was based on "XeniumTools"
But the tools and processes involved in creating the patch's themselves were never made public...

This becomes a common theme for MakeMhz, where they hinder the community at every opportunity.
Not to mention constantly changing their story when their BS has been called out...
They start an all-out attack just to be debunked... Then you get a response like this:

2 hours ago, Ernegien said:

Trying to shrug it off making it out that they never really cared about it in the first place... BS!
You guys should be called "MakeBS"...

EDIT: Sorry Dustin it's been taken "www.makebs.com"...
Guess you won't be getting your hands on this one... :(

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So...

I'm thinking we could edit the sourcecode for "Xenium-fw-update"
Remove XOS Data while retaining bootloader patches...
Without having a good look, I wonder if we could just move bootloader.cpp over to
"Xenium-fw-update v2.3.2". As I don't think "XOS Data" had been implemented yet
And for shits and giggles replace the background image for the app...
Update version number and recompile?

Another option would be to embed our own skin by editing xeniumos_data.cpp
I did look into this a little while ago on this thread...
After using your "Xenium-Repacker" and performing a hexdump I was able to compare
XeniumOS_Additional_Data.bin from both XeniumOS v2.3.1 and XeniumOS v2.3.5

Here were my results...

ADCreHe_167qBW0uIS1DOs6Ox__8INH8s0SyTD1u

EDIT: But I'm sure you would like to have the tools available to possibly create
fixes/patches for XeniumOS, as for example?

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Not to mention constantly changing their story when their BS has been called out...

They start an all-out attack just to be debunked...

The gaslighting, strawmanning, and personal attacks taking place in this thread is unreal. My stance here has consistently been "don't use Dustin's XOS patches or HD+ firmware on your hardware when you can write your own or do something else", that's it. Anyone looking back in this thread can clearly see this.

Your repeated insistence that somehow I've changed tune just isn't true. Whether you understand this or not, as it relates to XOS, there's the base image created by Team Xodus ~15 years ago (owned by them and always will be) and the patches to it written solely by Dustin. Everyone seems to have already accepted that selling/distributing chips with the base XOS is fine; it's still wrong (you, Dustin, whomever, it doesn't matter) in my opinion (and I've already said this multiple times throughout this thread, not just now), but by varying degrees of such that really don't concern me as I don't sell them. Dustin has since modified the base XOS image with his own patches, and the patches alone are the only thing I've ever referred to here as what's his, it's not complicated 🤷‍♂️

34 minutes ago, Ernegien said:

The gaslighting, strawmanning, and personal attacks taking place in this thread is unreal. My stance here has consistently been "don't use Dustin's XOS patches or HD+ firmware on your hardware when you can write your own or do something else", that's it. Anyone looking back in this thread can clearly see this.

Your repeated insistence that somehow I've changed tune just isn't true. Whether you understand this or not, as it relates to XOS, there's the base image created by Team Xodus ~15 years ago (owned by them and always will be) and the patches to it written solely by Dustin. Everyone seems to have already accepted that selling/distributing chips with the base XOS is fine; it's still wrong (you, Dustin, whomever, it doesn't matter) in my opinion (and I've already said this multiple times throughout this thread, not just now), but by varying degrees of such that really don't concern me as I don't sell them. Dustin has since modified the base XOS image with his own patches, and the patches alone are the only thing I've ever referred to here as what's his, it's not complicated 🤷‍♂️

Again, trying to spin the story to favor MakeMhz...

What you think we like receiving that sort of behavior from MakeMHz members?
Accusations, threats, harassment, intimidation and DMCA's...
I'm sick of your shit, FUCK OFF!

3 hours ago, Ernegien said:

I don't think anyone here really cares

Listen to your own advice!

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ernegien said:

Oh my GOD Ernegien. YOU'RE STILL HERE? Anybody looking through this thread can clearly see that you're choosing the weakest arguments you can battle and ignoring the rest. Anybody looking through this thread in the future will have the same reactions that the people posting in this thread are now. "whether you understand this or not"... "It's not complicated." The condescension you're willing to dish out even in the face of such logical ridicule is fucking astounding to me, dude. Maybe you don't understand, so allow me to repeat myself, since evidently, this point bears repeating:

Quit while you're ahead... or behind, which is the most reasonable way to view it.

Lo fuckin' L. As if you're in any position to say what kind of conduct in this thread is unreal. "Gaslighting, Strawmanning"... You're a hypocrite.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Not sure if anyone noticed but I was able to expose MakeMHz for hosting the very same thing
that Dustin and Ryzee attacked me for, XeniumOS v2.3.1 in the form of a recovery.bin!

How long you been selling Xeniums for? I dont think I ever attacked you for it (I dont think?). I even supported you and continued merging and supporting CPLD code updates and looked into fixes to community made flashing programs. Im more than happy to delete/archive openxenium if you/community members are genuinley upset by it - it still takes up a bit of my time as I often get requests for obsolete parts to find replacements and I get around to them when I can. I recently added support for an alternative flash chip (~1 month ago) in Xeniumtools.

You could argue using TeamXodus binaries has some similarities to the current situation (HDMI stuff), there is some differences ofcourse. The obvious one is that TeamXodus doesnt exist anymore. I tried to reach out to old members for permission or source code for XeniumOS with no luck and I give them credit whenever I can. Even finding people who worked on it is almost impossible these days so who knows what old emails I tried. This  isnt an ideal situation and maybe doesnt make it "right" but I genuinely tried my best. I encourage Team Xodus to contact me, pls thanks.

I did try writing my own OS but hit alot of roadblocks with cromwell https://github.com/ryzee119/cromwell/tree/OpenXOS, I might get back to this one day but I did get to the point it could write and boot firmware banks.

But youre right I forgot that I did share the binary once years ago (maybe even more than once) so you got me there; good find. I'll delete that post.

Anyway I never cared about XeniumOS/Xenium stuff; its cool you sell xeniums and make it accessible to alot more people; and all the accessories you made are sweet. I personally chose not to sell it, the TeamXodus side was only in part a factor; mainly just other life things and my job is very busy to be able to commit to a 'side hustle' thats more than just a hobby.

I only ever commented on HDMI stuff - which you could easily contact the author and ask for permission, the only time I brought up xenium was when I was accused of blindly cloning it, profiting off it somehow and conspiracies got mentioned somewhere (This wasnt from you); who knows I dont remember. But ofcourse I spent months working out that shit with a logic analyser on the CPLD so I believe thats enough creative input to make the VHDL atleast my own work. Copying the PCB was pretty easy but I think I make it clear its all compatible with the original xenium chip.

Genuinely good luck with your builds; the community will be better with new original things.

• Like 1