OGXbox.com

Alternatives to Unleash file manager to edit XBE game title?

fiftydkpminus

I have Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic and Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic 2 installed in Games on my F drive.  Evidently they both have the same title in the XBE (Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic) which means that Unleash only shows one game in the GAMES and XBMC-Emustation shows KOTR 2 as a duplicate title (Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic (duplicate) - even though the game scanner shows the correct title when scanning).  

Through searching, I read that this because the default.xbe for both games has the same title info and that the easiest way to update it is to go into the file manager on Unleash, click the white button and choose the option to edit the Game title - which works (I can change the title and it will show up in both dashboards) but has a problem - the interface limits the number of characters you can use to a smaller value than the length of the title for these games.   Like if you blank out the title, you can't even put the full original title back in - it's too long for the (apparently artificial character length limit the Unleash file explorer imposes).  All I want to be able to do is to change the title for the second game from "Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic" to "Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic 2" which matches the artwork, synopsis, etc.

So my question is whether there are any other on-xbox (or PC-based) tools / applications that will let you edit the game title in the default.xbe without this character limit?   

You cannot make it any longer.  The maximum number of characters for the XBE Title is limited to 40 Unicode characters (80 bytes).

Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic = 39 characters

Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic 2 = 41 characters

Remove the space before and after the '-' to make them similar in format and less than or equal to 40 characters.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You cannot make it any longer.  The maximum number of characters for the XBE Title is limited to 40 Unicode characters (80 bytes).

Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic = 39 characters

Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic 2 = 41 characters

Remove the space before and after the '-' to make them similar in format and less than or equal to 40 characters.

The 40 character limit may be accurate (and is useful info - thank you), but the editor is more restrictive that that (which seems like a bug - and why I need a different tool to make this edit) 

The Unleash XBE Title Editor prevents me from adding any charters after "Star Wars - Knights of the old Repub" - so I can't even set it to what the file originally had using that editor.  i.e. it appears to enforce a 36 character limit.  

Edited by fiftydkpminus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fiftydkpminus said:

The 40 character limit may be accurate (and is useful info - thank you), but the editor is more restrictive that that (which seems like a bug - and why I need a different tool to make this edit) 

The Unleash XBE Title Editor prevents me from adding any charters after "Star Wars - Knights of the old Repub" - so I can't even set it to what the file originally had using that editor.  i.e. it appears to enforce a 36 character limit.  

Another BUG in UnleashX.

You can edit the XBE file's Title in a hex editor - not the easiest.

Or, with the PC app - XBE Renamer. It can edit the Title in default.xbe files on the PC or Xbox via an FTP connection.

• Thanks 1

....................or you could just rename the game's default.xbe XBE title to something very much shorter so that any failing in the UnleashX file manager's character support  become irrelevant.

I had similar problems title length with Dead Or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball which I think is 37 characters but the reason I wanted to change it was one of skin menu display limits. I needed to reduce it 25 characters/spaces or less to fit in my preferred skin's menu 'display box'.

So all I did was abbreviate it to DOA XBV and I've actually done a similar thing for the rest of the Xbox DOA games so all of them are grouped together in the menu.

In your case I'd just use Star Wars - KOTOR 1 and Star Wars - KOTOR 2.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 1:57 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Another BUG in UnleashX.

You can edit the XBE file's Title in a hex editor - not the easiest.

Or, with the PC app - XBE Renamer. It can edit the Title in default.xbe files on the PC or Xbox via an FTP connection.

Hi Dear,

Do u have any program similar to XBE Renamer for edit/replace the $$XTIMAGE in any Xbox Executable?

6 hours ago, LordLopro said:

Hi Dear,

Do u have any program similar to XBE Renamer for edit/replace the $$XTIMAGE in any Xbox Executable?

I don't know of any program that does this operation. 

There is Mborgerson's pyxbe that can provide you with information about the content of an XBE file and save the images as BMP instead of $$XTIMAGE and $$XSIMAGE XPR0-format.

There is talk about adding the capability of injecting new images (See: pyxbe Issue #6: Add title and title save image codec); however, I don't think that functionality has been added yet.

I don't think pyxbe can take BMP images and convert them into XPR0-format images but it may. The new images could then be injected with a hex editor as long as they are the same size as the originals.

There is another image processing tools that may do the conversion L.I.M.P.P. (Library of Image Manipulation in Pure Python).