OGXbox.com

Consumer CRT/modern flat-screen/ PVM?

Tartarus

When I get a little bit more time I need to get into it and see if it needs to be cleaned has four fans on the back of it at the top

this is the first plasma TV I've ever owned so my knowledge to them is limited

are these things known for having capacitor issues or did you just replace them simply because of age?

12 hours ago, Tartarus said:

When I get a little bit more time I need to get into it and see if it needs to be cleaned has four fans on the back of it at the top

this is the first plasma TV I've ever owned so my knowledge to them is limited

are these things known for having capacitor issues or did you just replace them simply because of age?

I don't know of them having cap issues. My recap was of a Samsung Slimfit CRT in my room. Looks a LOT better, but there is still a horizontal deflection issue up top and I think it's the film capacitors next to the flyback. I'll replace them next.

Here are my plasmas: 720p

PXL-20230731-004702829.jpg

And 1080p. Not far off from yours and total brothers. My 1080 has the four fans as well.

PXL-20230731-004830916.jpg

• Thanks 1

okay that's good to know

found it on Facebook they didn't want it we asked if they still had it they said come get it told us it had a very low run time it lived its life down in the basement in the second living quarters not used often older couple that live in a wealthier area

anyway that's the quick of the story i didn't have to clean it when i got it here it was pretty much spotless a little bit of dust but that's about it 

so basically I got really lucky with this thing should have bought a lottery ticket with that

3 hours ago, Tartarus said:

okay that's good to know

found it on Facebook they didn't want it we asked if they still had it they said come get it told us it had a very low run time it lived its life down in the basement in the second living quarters not used often older couple that live in a wealthier area

anyway that's the quick of the story i didn't have to clean it when i got it here it was pretty much spotless a little bit of dust but that's about it 

so basically I got really lucky with this thing should have bought a lottery ticket with that

HAHAHA. You did get lucky. I got lucky with both of mine at the goodwill donation area and they sold me 2 plasmas that they weren't supposed to on the same day. AND tested them for me before slapping stickers on them for 40 bucks and selling them. Those things are supposed to go to the county headquarters to be sold online or something.

13 hours ago, Tartarus said:

40 bucks is pretty good specially if it was 40 bucks per TV 40 bucks for the two that's even better

yeah Goodwill is changing how they do some of their Tech and some of the things that they get in

Goodwill is pissing me off with how they do tvs. They only sell small LCD panels. They keep all the good ones.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2023 at 1:44 AM, Tartarus said:

yeah overall I'm happy with the quality I think it looks great my myself personally 42 inch TV and my friend he's a TV freak he says the plasmas used to be known for their colors

yeah I think it looks really good

Not only color and black levels, but also motion resolution. Highly recommend to buy calibration tool to squeeze every pixel out of this beast. Only CRT beats plasma.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prtscn said:

Not only color and black levels, but also motion resolution. Highly recommend to buy calibration tool to squeeze every pixel out of this beast. Only CRT beats plasma.

Oh wow well I was aware that they had that stuff for CRTs but I had no idea that I could use that for plasma?

is there any information you can reference for me to look at so that I can educate myself further?

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Just got Wall-E in the mail on BluRay. DAMN that looks good on plasma.

1691034496799760771204222546838.jpg

16910345555267038807716499333525.jpg

16910354046144931147064843090725.jpg

yeah it does I'm kind of becoming a fan of the plasma actually I've been playing with this one that i got, I'm also becoming a fan of the CRTs I just need to do more homework on them

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tartarus said:

yeah it does I'm kind of becoming a fan of the plasma actually I've been playing with this one that i got, I'm also becoming a fan of the CRTs I just need to do more homework on them

I'm tellin' ya, any type of display based on that technology ,like plasmas and CRTs just look amazing and there is nothing like them. I watched Tron on Bluray last night and the colors were just SICK. There was noise in the conversion, unfortunately, but it still looked good. Only thing really left on my list is a 3D plasma and either a PVM or BVM. Plasmas have no pixel latency, so there is no ghosting with them when switching between eyes so rapidly. If you're gonna have a 3D display, plasmas or dual passive projectors are really the only practical option. LCDs do 3D fine, but there is ghosting due to the fact that LCDs cannot switch completely over between light and dark quickly enough to avoid ghosting.

I'm unaware that any calibration can be done, unless plasmas have a service menu that I am unaware of... Better look into that. :)

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I'm tellin' ya, any type of display based on that technology ,like plasmas and CRTs just look amazing and there is nothing like them. I watched Tron on Bluray last night and the colors were just SICK. There was noise in the conversion, unfortunately, but it still looked good. Only thing really left on my list is a 3D plasma and either a PVM or BVM. Plasmas have no pixel latency, so there is no ghosting with them when switching between eyes so rapidly. If you're gonna have a 3D display, plasmas or dual passive projectors are really the only practical option. LCDs do 3D fine, but there is ghosting due to the fact that LCDs cannot switch completely over between light and dark quickly enough to avoid ghosting.

I'm unaware that any calibration can be done, unless plasmas have a service menu that I am unaware of... Better look into that. :)

yeah thank you for the info I'm learning a little bit of the time with it

7 hours ago, Tartarus said:

I meant to ask you about the OLED TVs that's a thing right and are they really compared to plasma?

I seen a thing about it a long time ago and forgot the details is OLED really that big of a deal and would it be worth it for Retro Gaming?

I've seen the reviews. Old games are not designed with OLEDs in mind. The OLEDs don't scale pixels correctly and things tend to basically bleed over. The colors really aren't right and things just look odd. They come out smeared. CRT's are best for old games. OLEDs are much more geared toward newer media and things that run at the screens' native resolution. But so are CRTs, and things designed for that resolution look best.

I actually haven't tried running anything retro on the plasma. I'll load some consoles up on the box in emulators and see how they look at 480.

• Thanks 1

Set aside from PC games I think the original Xbox is probably going to be the oldest I play for consoles set aside from the Super Nintendo only cuz I have one game on there I like to play

Then I think the only other console I ever took a liking to was the GameCube and some of the other Nintendo stuff

I never really got into the emulators I literally just play the original Xbox games on it HA! I'm sure there's people in here who are going to find that lame

I figure if I wanted to play those games just get the console but there really wasn't anything that I had interest in so like I said the Super Nintendo was it

The reason why I even mobbed the Xbox is to preserve the games that I have which are very few at that but at least once or twice a year I go back and play one of them until I beat it

once again might be lame to someone but I enjoy it

yeah come to think about it the only two older consoles I would have ever come into contact with was the Atari and Super Nintendo when I was a kid

Then we would not get a new console until the original Xbox was to come out

Edited by Tartarus

8 hours ago, Tartarus said:

Set aside from PC games I think the original Xbox is probably going to be the oldest I play for consoles set aside from the Super Nintendo only cuz I have one game on there I like to play

Then I think the only other console I ever took a liking to was the GameCube and some of the other Nintendo stuff

I never really got into the emulators I literally just play the original Xbox games on it HA! I'm sure there's people in here who are going to find that lame

I figure if I wanted to play those games just get the console but there really wasn't anything that I had interest in so like I said the Super Nintendo was it

The reason why I even mobbed the Xbox is to preserve the games that I have which are very few at that but at least once or twice a year I go back and play one of them until I beat it

once again might be lame to someone but I enjoy it

I dunno if I'd call it LAME. I like original hardware. That's why I got an N64, but got an Everdrive for it so I could have all the games I wanted. Can't get Donkey Kong 64 to load, which of course doesn't run on the Xbox emulator because of "core" issues... so I may have to get the original cart for that one, but all others load fine. It's ALWAYS best to have original hardware. I'll hook up an RGB kit to it so I can hook up the cord to a CRT with component when I want to. S-video works out of the box, but it doesn't beat component. :)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

its not service menu, simple TV settings. Service menu are CRT relic.

These are settings you can calibrate by eye without any tools.

For more accurate colors without calibration movie mode as color profile should be selected, all TV processing turned off.

1 hour ago, prtscn said:

its not service menu, simple TV settings. Service menu are CRT relic.

These are settings you can calibrate by eye without any tools.

For more accurate colors without calibration movie mode as color profile should be selected, all TV processing turned off.

Oh that. Well yeah, that was the first thing I did! Lol. I usually do choose cinematic modes. If I choose a profile at all.