Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Sign in to follow this  
ChewbaccaSaurus

XBox Keeps Restarting ?

Hi all I recently picked up an Original Xbox to mod (unsure of version due to it not working). and when I plug the power into the unit it starts up without the press of the power button, It posts on screen with the startup animation but ends abruptly and shuts off just to turn back on 2 seconds later this time with no bootup screen. This cycle continues until the power is disconnected I've tried fiddling with the power button in hopes it was just stuck with no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Clock cap leaked electrolyte has damaged traces along the outer front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard.

These 4 very thin traces carry signals to and from the system management controller to power on/off the console, eject/load the DVD tray and control of the front panel red and green LEDs.

Please login or register to see this link.

Remove the clock cap, clean the residue off the top and bottom side of the motherboard and anywhere else it has touched.  Repair the traces (link for one repair solution on the imgur.com picture page posted above.)

Edited by KaosEngineer

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Clock cap leaked electrolyte has damaged traces along the outer front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard.

These 4 very thin traces carry signals to and from the system management controller to power on/off the console, eject/load the DVD tray and control of the front panel red and green LEDs.

Remove the clock cap, clean the residue off the top and bottom side of the motherboard and anywhere else it has touched.  Repair the traces (link for one repair solution on the imgur.com picture page posted above.)

That was it I've opened it up and the clock cap has leaked so I'm going to clean it up and see which traces are broken with a multimeter and repair them. Thank you for your help I never would've thought the clock cap would affect the front panel controls.

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Good news and bad news, Good news is only one line was bad and I jumped it with a wire and soldered it in place and the system turns on with the button and ejects the disc drive bad news is I was hoping the clock cap would work just enough so I could soft mod the system so I didn't need it anymore but that's not the case it gets stuck at the xbox logo sadly. Is there any way around replacing it instantly? can it fetch time if it's plugged into internet like old pc's did?

For v1.0-1.5 Xbox's the clock cap is not necessary for the system to boot.  The MS dashboard will start each time AC power is removed as the time/date will be lost.  As long as AC power stays connected, they will be retained after a power cycle as the Xbox's power supply provides standby power to keep the clock running even when the rest of the console is off.

However, V1.6's require the clock cap to boot.

Do you know what version your Xbox is?

20 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

For v1.0-1.5 Xbox's the clock cap is not necessary for the system to boot.  The MS dashboard will start each time AC power is removed as the time/date will be lost.  As long as AC power stays connected, they will be retained after a power cycle as the Xbox's power supply provides standby power to keep the clock running even when the rest of the console is off.

However, V1.6's require the clock cap to boot.

Do you know what version your Xbox is?

On 12/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, John7272 said:

It does not go to an error screen?

Hi again , sorry for the late reply I thought originally it was the clock cap not allowing the system to boot but it turned out the HDD was just slow to spin up I had to reboot the system about 3 times before the Microsoft logo appeared upon boot and loaded into the system. I think the system had been sitting for quite some time before me buying it but all seems okay now and I intend to replace the hard drive with a bigger 1tb sata drive. Also, it's a v1.2 Xbox 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
  • Similar Content

• By gauchomigo
      A friend gave me back the xbox I made for him years ago.  I want to update it for my grankids.  It is chipped with an xecuter 2, is a version 1.6, and currently has an ancient 150GB hdd.  
      Primarily, I want to put in a new HDD, planning on a 500GB, and use a Startech SATA/IDE adapter with an 80 wire cable.  Then I want to add Coinops, and XBMC;  the XBMC primarily for karaoke.  Also a decent dash, thinking probably the last UnleashX.  I have copied all the contents onto a drive via ftp.  
      I am confused as to how to 1) install the new hdd and 2) how to install the dash/apps.   From what I read on the wiki and elsewhere, supposedly, I can just install the drive, boot, and the xecuter wizard should walk me through formatting the drive.  I assume that then I can put in the Hexen disk and it will install the dash's.  Is this right?  My xbox modding days are long behind me (even the 360 mod days, lol).  
      Any help is appreciated.
    • By Xbmcmodsforxbox
      Hey everyone I am getting 2tb in google drive and I will be putting xbox files in there as I will not fill up all of it so if anyone wants to put some of there xbox files in there I don't mind but I wont put any roms inside there just let me know by PMing me or commenting on this post thx.
    • By N163LPH03N1X
      XCM Consoles

XCM Pure White Parts List
      Xecuter 3 Purple Mod chip Xecuter 3 Halo Green Pro switch V1.0 Motherboard (Stock) 733mhz/64mb RAM Delta Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 500 GB HDD White Controller Port LED's White/Red Power/Eject LED
      XCM Chrome Silver Parts List
      Xecuter 3 Purple Mod chip V1.0 Motherboard (Stock) 733mhz/64mb RAM Foxlink Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 500 GB HDD Red Controller Port LED's White/Red Power/Eject LED
      XCM Crystal Clear Parts List
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Crystal Pro Switch V1.6 Motherboard (Stock) 733mhz/64mb RAM Delta Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 500 GB HDD RGB Controller Port LED's RGB Power/Eject LED RGB Under Glow LED Bars
      XCM Sapphire Blue Parts List
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip V1.6 Motherboard (Stock) 733mhz/64mb RAM Delta Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 500 GB HDD Blue  Controller Port LED's Blue/Red Power/Eject LED Blue Under Glow LED Bars
      XCM Ruby Red Parts List
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Black Pro Switch V1.2 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP (N64 Freak) 1.4ghz/128mb RAM + Speed Switch Adapter PulseVU 2X Microchip (Audio LED Pulsation) Xerc 2 XE Microchip (N64 Freak) + MS DVD Dongle (Menu + On/Off Remote Control) Fox Link Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 2 TB HDD Red Controller Port LED's Red/White Power/Eject LED Red Under Glow LED Bars Red LED Jewel Xecuter Consoles

Skeleton Black Limited Edition Parts List
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Black Control Panel V1.2 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP (N64 Freak) 1.4ghz/128mb RAM + Speed Switch Adapter PulseVU 2X Microchip (Audio LED Pulsation) Xerc 2 XE Microchip (N64 Freak) (On/Off Remote Control) Fox Link Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 2 TB HDD White Controller Port LED's White/Red Power/Eject LED White LED Jewel
      Crystal Clear Limited Edition Parts List
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Crystal Clear Control Panel V1.2 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP (N64 Freak) 1.4ghz/128mb RAM + Speed Switch Adapter PulseVU 2X Microchip (Audio LED Pulsation) Xerc 2 XE Microchip (N64 Freak) (On/Off Remote Control) Delta Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 2 TB HDD RGB Controller Port LED's RGB Power/Eject LED RGB LED Jewel
      Debug Green Special Edition Parts List (Electronic Arts Debug Shell)
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Crystal Green Control Panel V1.2 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP (N64 Freak) 1.4ghz/128mb RAM + Speed Switch Adapter PulseVU 2X Microchip (Audio LED Pulsation) Xerc 2 XE Microchip (N64 Freak) (On/Off Remote Control) Delta Link Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 2 TB HDD Green Controller Port LED's Green/Red Power/Eject LED Green LED Jewel
      Dead or Alive Ultimate Limited Edition Parts List 
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Crystal Blue Control Panel V1.1 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP (N64 Freak) 1.4ghz/128mb RAM + Speed Switch Adapter PulseVU 2X Microchip (Audio LED Pulsation) Xerc 2 XE Microchip (N64 Freak) (On/Off Remote Control) Minebea Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive 2 TB HDD Blue Controller Port LED's Blue/White Power/Eject LED Blue LED Jewel
      Mountain Dew Limited Edition Parts List
      V1.2 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP  (Stock) 733mhz/64mb RAM Fox Link Power Supply Samsung DVD Drive 500 GB HDD Green Controller Port LED's Green/White Power/Eject LED Green Under Glow LED Bars Cyclone Red/Blue GPU Heatsink
      Asian Halo 2 Limited Edition Parts List (Frankenstein)
      Xecuter 3 CE Red/White Mod chip Xecuter 3 Black Control Panel V1.0 Motherboard + Xecuter 2 TSOP  (Stock) 733mhz/64mb RAM PulseVU 2X Microchip (Audio LED Pulsation) Xerc 2 XE Microchip (Floydthebarber) + MS DVD Dongle (Menu + On/Off Remote Control) Fox Link Power Supply Hitachi LG DVD Drive x2 IceBerq 4 Pro LED Red/Blue Heatsinks GPU/CPU 5 Xtreme Extender + x4 Stock HDD (8 GB) 500 GB HDD Blue Controller Port LED's Blue/Red Power/Eject LED Blue LED Jewel Blue Under Glow LED Bars Xbox Controllers 

Top Row:
      Xtreme Enterprises Ruby Red 
      NTSC-J ABXY LED Modded Buttons Transparent Red Thumb Sticks Transparent Red D-Pad 8 Red LED's Internally Installed Skeleton Black Limited edition
      NTSC-J ABXY LED Modded Buttons Transparent Smoke Thumb Sticks Transparent Smoke D-Pad 8 White LED's Internally Installed Halo Green Limited edition
      NTSC-J ABXY LED Modded Buttons Transparent Green Thumb Sticks Transparent Green D-Pad 8 Green LED's Internally Installed Bottom Row:
      Crystal Clear Limited edition
      NTSC-J ABXY LED Modded Buttons Transparent Clear Thumb Sticks Pink/White Thumb Stick LED Boards Transparent Clear D-Pad 8 RGB LED's Internally Installed Halo 2 Blue Limited edition (Black Gem)
      NTSC-J ABXY LED Modded Buttons Transparent Blue Thumb Sticks Blue/Red Thumb Stick LED Boards Transparent Blue D-Pad 8 Blue LED's Internally Installed
      Sparkling Grey Controllers (Japan Only)
      Stock (Untouched)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.