OGXbox.com

Xbox rev 1.6 still won’t power on after multiple fixes

Cytra

49 minutes ago, Marty said:

Everything was working fine, then you opened it up and "worked on it"....

I suspect something regarding your work or the way you handled the motherboard points towards it's apparent death.

Scratched or broken trace, component knocked off the board, static shock, bridged points....it's hard to say.

I know your point.....maybe I damage something when soldering and replaced clock cap. 

53 minutes ago, Marty said:

I suspect something regarding your work or the way you handled the motherboard points towards it's apparent death.

Scratched or broken trace, component knocked off the board, static shock, bridged points....it's hard to say.

By the way, I follow instructions from this topic to check voltage, mine console only DC4V, normal should be 5V. Any instructions for next step to check? thanks 

2 hours ago, Marty said:

That should help him out. After all it is a forum, where people come to hear whether they are the cause of the issue, rather than to come to find the solution to it.

@cch2001.tw I am actually new to electronics, even though I've been working on them for quite a while now. I've only really begun to try to actually understand what I am doing. The fact that multiple points are showing absolute zero DOES make me question the readings of the multimeter. However this is two cases of this now simultaneously, which is not usual... If all you did was replace the clock cap, I highly doubt you did something ""accidentally" to completely fucking decimate the board. You probably would have something in your memory that would be a clue as to whether you were the cause of the problem. If the console started acting up right when you worked on it, then common sense would lead me to believe that something happened while it was open. But that may have been something that you weren't able to avoid and you shouldn't really blame yourself for. It could a happened if the guy next to you had been the one to take it apart.

Don't let anyone try to make you feel like an idiot because you tried to replace a clock cap. That's necessary preventative surgery if you're trying to prevent trace rot from happening and your console from being destroyed anyway. Everybody knows that. Don't beat yourself up, man, whatever you do.

I would definitely ask somebody like Kaos who is very much a hardware wizard, but it looks like even he may not know what is happening @KaosEngineer

Which motherboard revision is this?

5 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That should help him out. After all it is a forum, where people come to hear whether they are the cause of the issue, rather than to come to find the solution to it.

@cch2001.tw I am actually new to electronics, even though I've been working on them for quite a while now. I've only really begun to try to actually understand what I am doing. The fact that multiple points are showing absolute zero DOES make me question the readings of the multimeter. However this is two cases of this now simultaneously, which is not usual... If all you did was replace the clock cap, I highly doubt you did something ""accidentally" to completely fucking decimate the board. You probably would have something in your memory that would be a clue as to whether you were the cause of the problem. If the console started acting up right when you worked on it, then common sense would lead me to believe that something happened while it was open. But that may have been something that you weren't able to avoid and you shouldn't really blame yourself for. It could a happened if the guy next to you had been the one to take it apart.

Don't let anyone try to make you feel like an idiot because you tried to replace a clock cap. That's necessary preventative surgery if you're trying to prevent trace rot from happening and your console from being destroyed anyway. Everybody knows that. Don't beat yourself up, man, whatever you do.

I would definitely ask somebody like Kaos who is very much a hardware wizard, but it looks like even he may not know what is happening @KaosEngineer

I know, becasuse I saw many experts in forum, so maybe some problem can be solved.By the way, OG Xbox is not a popular game console in our country, there are not many technical documents to refer to.
For detail step I replace clock cap.
1. Try to resoldering to remove
2. Change 1.0F/2.5v super capacitor to 1.0F/2.7v (I don't know that if any risk, not same spec). But I change back bulge one still    no power.
3. resoldering time may long.
4. I only know my console is 1.6, not know mainboard revision.

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Thanks all. I checked more times and found root cause, one component had tilt and poor joint, post resoldering console can power on, but encountered another one problem, show error 07 by softmodded HDD....😑😑😑

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Nobody knows that answer because we don't know the cause of your XBOX's current reason for malfunction.

Yes....so I will try it.

There was no problem at first, just the capacitor was a little bulge, but it still played normally. I first used configmagic to change the HDD key to 32 1s, and everything was normal and there was no problem. Later, I went to buy a supercapacitor.

Maybe because of my poor soldering and handling , dropped one of the capacitors, causing the power to fail. Fortunately, I found the reason later and repair.

After the repair, console can power on but encountered the error 07 problem. I also did a cross test, took out the stock HDD and the password had not been changed. After replacing it, error 06 appeared. After changing it several times, the result was the same. 

I’m a little confused. softmod  HDD show error 07 (changed HDD key to 32 1s), but change stock HDD (no change HDD key) is show error 06, different error code.

I feel that is caused by a hardware problem on the motherboard, not sure.

40 minutes ago, cch2001.tw said:

Yes....so I will try it.

There was no problem at first, just the capacitor was a little bulge, but it still played normally. I first used configmagic to change the HDD key to 32 1s, and everything was normal and there was no problem. Later, I went to buy a supercapacitor.

Maybe because of my poor soldering and handling , dropped one of the capacitors, causing the power to fail. Fortunately, I found the reason later and repair.

After the repair, console can power on but encountered the error 07 problem. I also did a cross test, took out the stock HDD and the password had not been changed. After replacing it, error 06 appeared. After changing it several times, the result was the same. 

I’m a little confused. softmod  HDD show error 07 (changed HDD key to 32 1s), but change stock HDD (no change HDD key) is show error 06, different error code.

Error 6 is because the xbox cannot unlock the hdd.  Error 7 is basically it unlocked the drive but can't access it for some reason.  Since you changed the key to all 1's the stock hdd can't be unlocked since it still locked with the old key.  It sounds like your eeprom could be corrupted which if so, will need to be restored from the backup you made before changing the key or the problem is related to the IDE bus somewhere and that's why it cannot access the drive after unlocking it and returns error 7.  I honestly doubt a modchip install would fix this.

2 hours ago, cch2001.tw said:

Yes....so I will try it.

From the information givent, the original hard drive is still locked with the password generated with the original HDKey that was on the motherboard, not the password generated with an all 1's HDKey.

Error 06 means the Xbox cannot unlock the hard drive.  

Error 07 the hard drive cannot be accessed or has died. 

Is the new hard drive SATA or IDE?

If SATA,

• Which IDE-to-SATA adapter are you using? 
  • Did you swap out the stock IDE cable for a new 80-wire 40-pin one?
  • With the new SATA drive installed as the boot drive, did you set the IDE device selection jumper on the adapter to MASTER?

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

From the information givent, the original hard drive is still locked with the password generated with the original HDKey that was on the motherboard, not the password generated with an all 1's HDKey.

Error 06 means the Xbox cannot unlock the hard drive.  

Error 07 the hard drive cannot be accessed or has died. 

Is the new hard drive SATA or IDE?

If SATA,

• Which IDE-to-SATA adapter are you using? 
  • Did you swap out the stock IDE cable for a new 80-wire 40-pin one?
  • With the new SATA drive installed as the boot drive, did you set the IDE device selection jumper on the adapter to MASTER?

Two HDD are IDE. My concern also EEPROM had problems, because I can't unlock stock HDD (already backup EEPROM with HDD key), FATXplorer show can't unlock or wrong HDD key, but I checked is correct. That's seem when I change stock HDD, HDD key is modified. (I am not sure?)