OGXbox.com

My xbox turns on immediately after pluging into socket, then I can't turn it off. Any idea?

JohnnyHUN

I don't remember if its an old problem or not, but what I did recently is I soldered on the Aladdin xt2 chip the "BT" to be always on, and its working fine I mean I can play games, responsive and everything, but I can't turn it off, and it starts right away as soon as I plug it into the wall. With the EvoX dash I could manually turn it off, but then I could not turn it on. The button is green, so its not the button. And its an Xbox 1.6 so theorietically the clock capacitor couldn't leak out onto the motherboard and corrode a trace. Also, I found no corrosion on traces, but I only checked the upper side of the motherboard, I dont really know whats on the other side.

Any idea? Thanks

By the way this is what I did with the aladdin:

Aladdin XT plus 2 - Always ON - Jumper (Green).jpg

Leaked clock cap electrolyte or PCB production contamination has damaged the power trace that runs along the front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard. 

127697874_tracedamagesection7frontedgeofXboxmotherboard(solderside).thumb.jpg.d8638caa63383e957faa1afa1d47d6a0.jpg

The damaged trace needs to be bypassed by adding a wire connected from the power button signal via (voilet colored via on the bottom 1/4 of the following images) by the front panel connector on the top of the motherboard to the power input signal pin (also violet in color) on the System Management Controller - PIC processor on v1.0-1.4 revisions or MS custom Xyclops chip on v1.6 motherboards.

pe_trace_10-11.jpg.76f8347f3c9d10c6875030ce7d26d038.jpg

pe_trace_12-15.jpg.f7b39d3704a80149b926836e494f4aba.jpg

pe_trace_16.jpg.6c73798ae39457413c799d23601d6f1d.jpg

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Leaked clock cap electrolyte or PCB production contamination has damaged the power trace that runs along the front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard. 

127697874_tracedamagesection7frontedgeofXboxmotherboard(solderside).thumb.jpg.d8638caa63383e957faa1afa1d47d6a0.jpg

The damaged trace needs to be bypassed by adding a wire connected from the power button signal via by the front panel connector on the top of the motherboard to the power input signal pin on the System Management Controller - PIC processor on v1.0-1.4 revisions or MS custom Xyclops chip on v1.6 motherboards.

pe_trace_10-11.jpg.76f8347f3c9d10c6875030ce7d26d038.jpgpe_trace_12-15.jpg.f7b39d3704a80149b926836e494f4aba.jpgpe_trace_16.jpg.6c73798ae39457413c799d23601d6f1d.jpg

uhh, sounds like an unprofessional like me shouldn't try fixing this :/

26 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Does it boot without the chip connected? Sounds like you either have some trace corrosion or your chip isn't seated properly to the lpc. 

There are cables that soldered to both motherboard and chip, I wouldn't mess with unsoldering these since I have no clue which point has to be resoldered, and I also not good at soldering. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

uhh, sounds like an unprofessional like me shouldn't try fixing this :/

Which revision of Xbox do you have?

Sometimes simply removing the clock capacitor and using 91% IsoPropyl Alcohol (IPA) to clean off any leaked clock capacitor electrolyte residue on v1.0-1.4 motherboards from the top and bottom side of it resolves the problem.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which revision of Xbox do you have?

Sometimes simply removing the clock capacitor and using 91% IsoPropyl Alcohol (IPA) to clean off any leaked clock capacitor electrolyte residue on v1.0-1.4 motherboards from the top and bottom side of it resolves the problem.

I think I have 1.6. Where the aladdin chip goes, there is a gold-ish capacitor with 1F and 1,5 or 2,5v, I assume this is the clock capacitor, also there is no half-round solenoid in the motherboard. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

I think I have 1.6. Where the aladdin chip goes, there is a gold-ish capacitor with 1F and 1,5 or 2,5v, I assume this is the clock capacitor, also there is no half-round solenoid in the motherboard. 

Yes that would be a v1.6 motherboard.  There are also no open pad layouts to install additional RAM chips to expand from 64 to 128MB of RAM.

Is the power button stuck down on the front panel?  I had one that the button was stuck.  Upon opening the case and removing the front panel, it looked like the previous owner had poured soda pop on down the front of the case and the button was no longer releasing.  Always being pressed down.  After cleaning the button assembly and reinstalling it, the power button again worked properly.

6 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes that would be a v1.6 motherboard.  There are also no open pad layouts to install additional RAM chips to expand from 64 to 128MB of RAM.

Is the power button stuck down on the front panel?  I had one that the button was stuck.  Upon opening the case and removing the front panel, it looked like the previous owner had poured soda pop on down the front of the case and the button was no longer releasing.  Always being pressed down.  After cleaning the button assembly and reinstalling it, the power button again worked properly.

no, i can hear and feel the clicking sound / feeling . Maybe the 1.6 clock capacitor can be faulty after all?