OGXbox.com

Quake 2X wont launch black screen

vkcpolice

Hi all i need help with quake 2x it was preinstalled on my xbox when i bought it from a modder but i stuffed around with the graphic settings and now when i go to launch it all i get is a black screen.

i have tried to re download the game but all i found was a beta 3 copy i tried to install it but i get the same issue every time i boot the game all i get is a black screen.

ive tried to email the developer but the email seems to no longer work any help would be great thanks

I'm just downloading/installing from here this copy of Quake2x to test it.

Might take a bit of time as I have other things to do but one thing I immediately noticed was that the download is double packed.

Once you unzip the download you need to install just the Quake II folder found inside the Quake2x folder eg. F:\HomeBrewGames\Quake II and not F:\HomeBrewGames\Quake2x\Quake II. 

It should work from any directory - F:\HomeBrewGames was only meant as an example.

I'm installing the Q2x download right now on a softmodded machine - I'll let you know if there is any problem getting it to boot as soon as that's done......................................

Just finished testing it - no problems. It required a reboot after install or it would not go to the Start menu but after that no trouble. I took the opportunity to kill some stuff.

Well we now know that the download I linked to is OK so that means we have a known good start point.

If it still doesn't work for you it would suggest a settings issue and I was just reminded that when I tried to run the Q2x   in 1080i ( a supposedly supported resolution) on my primary Xbox years ago I had problems with the game freezing after the initial FMV. In the end I ran the game at 480p without issue.

The Xbox I've installed this on just now is only set up for SD so I can't test that but if you can't get to the main menu again via the game the only solution I can think of that will is you delete the Quake II game save settings file. That should restore it to default resolution.

There is a F:\Quake II\baseq2\config.cfg which I've had a look at but I can't see any resolution setting option there. That maybe because I'm using the default 480i/60Hz setting. You could check and edit it if there is a resolution entry in your config.cfg instead but I think deleting the settings game save and restoring it to default would be the best thing to try first.

Edited by HDShadow

Thx I haven't tried deleting the config file not sure where the save games are located? I've installed a few times now and can't get it to boot annoying as it was working fine before I stuffed around with the in game settings. What file did you click on to boot the game? I used default.xbe

What dashboard are you using?

With UnleashX the game save manager is found under the System sub-menu.

With XBMC or its variants the menu link to the Game Saves is in the left side menu when in the Programs menu but that does depend on the skin/XBMC variant you're using.

With EvoX AFAIK there is no game save display option that can be added to the main menus. It doesn't include a file manager either so you'd have to do it by FTP or installing a file manager as an app.

The location of the games save in question is:-

E:\UDATA\abbafff0\0fd719fe19c1\config.cfg

You can delete the whole 0fd719fe19c1 folder because playing the game will generate a new one.

If doing the above doesn't fix the issue I'd also try deleting the contents of E:\CACHE too and check on X:\, Y:\ and Z:\ that there are not any temporary Q2x files present either.

solved thanks.

i managed to launch unleashed dashboard and find the saves deleted them then reinstalled the game again now works fine thankyou

i hate this dash xbmc emulation station wish i could change it i have xbmc4gamers as well but i have to launch it from the emulationstation dash

anyway thanks for your help i didnt even want to play the game lol just frustrates me when i cant get something working lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vkcpolice said:

hi using xbmc emulationstation and i dont have a x y or z drive i cant find the saves anuwhere on any partions nor can i get this game to launch. so frustrating as it was working

You do have X, Y and Z; however, XBMC hides them from you.  They can be made visible by editing the advancedsettings.xml file to add a line to make then accessible when connected to the Xbox with an FTP client:

<ftpshowcache>true</ftpshowcache>

7 hours ago, vkcpolice said:

solved thanks.

i managed to launch unleashed dashboard and find the saves deleted them then reinstalled the game again now works fine thankyou

i hate this dash xbmc emulation station wish i could change it i have xbmc4gamers as well but i have to launch it from the emulationstation dash

anyway thanks for your help i didnt even want to play the game lol just frustrates me when i cant get something working lol

Glad to hear doing that did work, I thought it would. Using UnleashX installed as an app to fix it yet again proves my long held belief that having an alternative dash in Apps should be standard practice. Reinstalling the game was probably unnecessary extra work but if its all fixed that's the main thing.