Original gen 1 Xbox flashing green light and black screen(?)

Hi everyone, I have a tsoped original xbox ver. 1.1 motherboard, clock capacitor removed, and running indi-bios. In rare occasions, when I turn on the console..I get a flashing green light with no image nor sound on screen. What can the green flashing light code mean? I tried unplugging the console from power strip, pressing/holding power button for 30sec. and when I re-connect the console and turn it on..I still get a flashing green light. But usually the console turns on fine. I'm not sure if it's a bad ribbon cable, or a bad sata adapter. I do know I have a foxcom IDE ribbon cable, and I do have a good quality sata adapter. The capacitors on power supply and motherboard look fine, they are not bloated, nor leaking. (capacitors look new)

Thanks in advance

Edited by lavaphoenix
  • lavaphoenix changed the title to Original gen 1 Xbox flashing green light and black screen(?)

Flashing green could be the eeprom has failed or it could be you have a Philips DVD drive.

The Ind BIOS supports no DVD so I would try unplugging the DVD drive connectors (power and IDE) and run the Xbox that way for a week or so, If it's all good source a replacement DVD drive or just leave it disconnected.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the reply. I have a Hitachi DVD drive that was removed from a v1.6 board. I'm also running XBMC dash. So flashing green light can also be a hardware issue? Is safe to rule out the IDE ribbon cable and sata adapter?

Thanks again

Edited by lavaphoenix

In my experience a eeprom chip either works or doesn't work.

I would still try the Xbox with the DVD drive disconnected.

Also have a look on the bottom of the main board for trace damage from a leaked/leaking clock cap and give the entire main board a clean with Isopropanol and a tooth brush.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you, I'll try leaving the dvd drive disconnected, and I'll take a look at the motherboard. I'll remove the motherboard from the case, and I'll look at the bottom of the board to see if it's nice and clean.

Thanks again

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Doom87
      Hello everyone!
      Something very strange is happening with my softmodded xbox and I really can’t figure what’s wrong.
      I recently got a used xbox in very good condition, cleaned thoroughly, clock capacitor removed, top notch condition overall.
      So, I installed a new 1TB WD hard drive (WD10EZEX) and everything went great.
      In the Hexen options I selected to make a big partition so I can put the games in there.
      So, long story short, I transferred a whole lot of games with FTP using a crossover cable, directly from my laptop to my xbox, since the Ethernet method gave me low transfer speeds.
      Everything was going great and at last I had a big library to choose and enjoy, even downloaded a big coinops pack! So, as you can tell I spent countless hours just transferring every day.
      I played daily for 1-2 weeks with no problems at all.
      Then one day, all of a sudden I saw that coinops was missing and some of the games also.
      To my surprise, they were magically deleted, and it messed up the games folders, for example there was just an empty folder with the game name and nothing in it.
      I couldn’t find any info online, so I decided to start transferring again and see if it will do this again.
      And at that point I started getting errors in Filezilla, half of the files were transferring and the others failed. The ones that fail are always the same files, everytime in every game.
      I even tried a different cable, but the result was the same.
      Another weird thing is that the later partitions (X,Y,Z) sometimes have weird files in them and other times are empty, for example at one point there was a 500MB file called gta3image.iso or something like that, and at other times, just random assorted files that it creates and deletes by itself. I never mess with those partitions, it does this by itself. The only partition I access is F which is the main ~900GB partition with my “Games” folder.
      So now, I’m with a half-broken xbox and can’t really tell what’s wrong.
      Any advice or info what may be wrong (maybe something similar has happened to someone here), will be greatly appreciated!
      I’m attaching a Filezilla report with a game I just tried transferring (25 to Life is the game), maybe someone could figure something from the report:
      https://pastebin.com/cCgfgpvf
      Please help me out fellas!
      Thanks!
    • By hands_groober
      Hi again
      Following up on my previous post about mt ram upgrade. Ive ran into another issue.
      I have installed a 1tb HDD. Prior to upgrading my ram I had already formated the with F partition taking 120gb and G partition taking the rest of the space. I have filled F partition with xbox games which has taken quite some time. Ive now realised that IND-BIOS 5003.67 will not read G partition.
      M8 bios will read the G partition but then i wont be able to take advantage of my extra ram. From what Ive read it is to do with how my G patition table is written. If this is the issue, is there any way I re-write the partition table without disturbing the data?

• By DemonicRobots
      Hey there everyone, just purchased an unmodded Xbox and I'm having issues. I tested with multiple games and for some reason, the console cannot read discs. It can boot to the menu and works perfectly fine in that regard, but when I put a disc in the green lift around the eject key will blink for a few times and then... Nothing. I don't get a read error or damaged disc message, it simply does nothing. No error code, everything else seems to work perfectly fine, but it simply won't read discs. It is a samsung disc drive and I opened it and did a bit of cleaning, checked the wires for seemingly any damage or missing pins which there weren't any and nothing has changed. The disc drive is clean, the connections are fine, and the discs are all basically flawless. Any ideas or advice?

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.