OGXbox.com

Modchip To Tsop Guide

CrispyWhispy

This is a guide for anyone out there who may have an old mod chipped system and decides they want to Flash the TSOP and get rid of the mod chip.

For Xbox revisions 1.0 to 1.5 only.

I've had my v1.1 Xbox since almost launch (in Australia) the box has served me well for over 17 years. Had it modded by a guy we found in the newspaper.

Just some small maintenance along the journey - refurbish the DVD drive (Samsung), fix trace corrosion and remove the clock capacitor.

Now it was time to say goodbye to the Aladdin Advance.

This may not be the quickest way, but I think it would be one of the safest.

Full backup of all partitions on my PC
Backup of EEPROM (Through Evox Dash) - Send to PC
Backup of HDD EEPROM through Config Magic(different to the Evox Backup?) - Send to PC
Locked the HDD to the Xbox via ConfigMagic or Evox Dash etc
Softmodded with Slayers 3.3 - C drive no virtual
Removed Aladdin Advance mod chip - mine was soldered directly to MB so be careful when removing. I accidently broke off the C702 component and had to solder back on.
Soldered the correct TSOP write points for my Xbox revision  - For Reference https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20-tsop-flash-guide/  
Checked BIOS with Bios checker on AutoInstallerDeluxe 4.5.3
TSOP confirmed writable. It will say 'TSOP?' up the top of the screen
Ran TruHexen 2020, flash bios the correct BIOS to TSOP depending on revision - v1.0 & v1.1 can support up to 1MB Bios, v1.2-v1.5 can support 256KB Bios - M8 Plus.67 is safest
Ran option 3.5.2 on TruHexen2020 - clean C after TSOP - To remove Softmod
Reformatted F and G drives with XBpartioner 1.3 - ensuring they show the full and correct amount in File Explorer/Your dash of choice
Delete contents of C and E partitions via FTP, and FTP over original C and E contents, reboot the Xbox
FTP all F and G data back to the Xbox.

For a video of the TSOP solder and flash process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIw8k5areQg&t=126s

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Thanks

Edited by CrispyWhispy

Talk about the long way

I would ensure the HDD is locked then softmod the HDD

Then add the 2 links to the PCB and disconnect the D0 wire now the Xbox will boot from the TSOP(stock bios)

Flash the TSOP and reboot with a install disk and do a new HDD install for TSOP/Chipped Xbox

If it all good then unlock the HDD for safety and remove the modchip from the board.

Job done ..  Simples yeh.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

Game saves, custom dashboards, settings? A backup of E couldn't hurt right? Takes only a few minutes to FTP over the whole C and E partitions.

If someone managed to brick the whole Xbox (if that's possible) by dodgy soldering, pads lifting or flashing the wrong size BIOS or the like, you could at least transfer all your gear to a new Xbox - Correct me if I'm wrong, still re-learning all of this.

On a older Xbox drive C drive is just boot files and a file to redirect to your preferred dash that was normally on F drive and E drive was really just a big memory card

On a softmodded Xbox the boot files are on C drive and referenced to some files on E drive  so if you have a backup of a softmodded drive you could restore it but it will still only work in the Xbox the drive is locked to. If you have the HDD key you could unlock the drive with a PC but unless you have the HDD key for the new Xbox you can't lock it as a softmod drive unless you fit a modchip to lock the drive to the new Xbox.

Using my method and leaving the mod chip fitted until the Xbox is 100% with the TSOP flash if something went wrong with the HDD you can reconnect the D0 wire and boot a install disk to fix it.

And in my view if your soldering has caused damage to the main board then you should have practiced soldering on some old PCB's 1st and just because you can solder 2 wires together does not mean you can solder to a PCB.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

First time I've seen anyone poo poo the idea of backing up your own files. Interesting.

Are you saying that the softmod files are specific to that particular softmodded xbox?

Obviously they're not on a hard modded system. I can create as many unlocked HDDs as I want and paste my C and E partitions on them.

Yeah the reason I didn't leave the chip connected (sans D0) until after the TSOP flash, was purely to get all the soldering done at once. 

As in, de-solder mod chip, solder TSOP write and done. As opposed to de-solder modchip D0, solder the TSOP points, console halfway back together, flash TSOP, de-solder rest of chip.

Say old mate has no eeprom backup, never FTP'd any files to his PC, locked HDD with softmod about to attempt TSOP... stuffs up soldering somehow... You see where I'm going with this.

The amount of reading I've done lately where the title is "help I've bricked my system" is staggering. Should they be attempting the mod, or soldering the MB? Probably not, but if shit can go wrong it will.

As always I appreciate your insight though.