Sign in to follow this  
coptimus

V1.6 Hdd Replace After Softmod

Hello everyone.  I've asked this question on FB, but would like to verify with this crowd here.

I have softmodded an v1.6 using Rocky5 most recent version.  I would like to swap to a 2TB SATA drive.  I understand this can be done with a hot swap, cloning the original drive with chimp and then formatting with xb partitioner.

Is this correct?  Why does this work if the bios is supposed to need LBA-48 to see a large drive?  Is it because each partition is small enough to not need LBA-48?

Thanks in advance.

49 minutes ago, coptimus said:

Hello everyone.  I've asked this question on FB, but would like to verify with this crowd here.

I have softmodded an v1.6 using Rocky5 most recent version.  I would like to swap to a 2TB SATA drive.  I understand this can be done with a hot swap, cloning the original drive with chimp and then formatting with xb partitioner.

Is this correct?  Why does this work if the bios is supposed to need LBA-48 to see a large drive?  Is it because each partition is small enough to not need LBA-48?

Thanks in advance.

It needs LBA-48 to read anything larger than 137 gb. 
So since softmodding is just getting the xbox to replace the bios in memory with a custom one, if you set an exploit to load a boot from media bios that supports lba-48 on the first 137gb it will gladly load it into memory and give you use of the rest of your drive. 

If you look at the source code for Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool, you will see what is happening. 

To understand how the Xbox boots, read Matt Borgerson's online article titled Please login or register to see this link. .

Simply put upon power on, the Xbox's BIOS is decrypted and a copy of the decrypted kernel is copied into RAM. Execution of the code is passed over to this RAM copy of the kernel which controls the console.

The NKPatcher code modifies this RAM copy of the kernel to apply patches to defeat the stock Kernel's security features and adds LBA48 support.