OGXbox.com

Can't Install Extras Disc Rocky Softmod Xbox v1.1.6

Mercenary

Hi everyone, new to the scene and the OG Xbox in general (had a 360 and One for many years). Bought an OG Xbox a few years ago for cheap to play some og Xbox exclusive games that are either not backwards compatible or are buggy on the 360's software emulation. I got as far as softmodding it to Rocky's v1.1.6 (this was in end of 2019 when I did this). Then I burnt the extras disc and my Xbox wouldn't read it. Then left the Xbox as is and did some other hobbies and life happened and put the Xbox in a closet for four years. 

Recently pulled it out and want to continue where I left off. My main goal is to upgrade the HDD to copy my games to the hard drive and play off it. To do this I need the extras disc to get Chimp onto my xbox. My Samsung drive, while sometimes is reluctant to eject the disc unless there is a disc inside, reads the games just fine. However when I burn the extras disc using Img burn (4x speed is the lowest I can go), using either the iso from Rocky's GitHub or the "Build XISO"bat file, nothing seems to work. So discs I tried where Staples CD-RW and Staples DVD-RW. Both of these where pretty scratches. So then I tried three times with Verbatim CD-Rs, flawless discs brand new no scratches, the Xbox still will not read the disc. Again, it's the Samsung Drive so it should be able to read CD-R.

My next step is to buy a Verbatim DVD-R, Staples has a pack of 5 for $5.99. If that doesn't work the only way to do it would be I guess to FTP. Was wondering if a USB would work as well. Lost the generic 4gb 2.0.usb I used four years ago to softmod but ordered another one from eBay should arrive within a couple of weeks. But why is the extras disc giving me so much trouble? Can anyone chime in what I could be doing wrong?

I also forgot to mention, I have a 1.6 Xbox produced in May 2005, TSOP is not an option, and I am not confident in my soldering abilities to install a mod chip hence the softmod.

Edited by Mercenary

Welcome.

I've used a pack of 50 Memorex DVD-R's since the days of SID and never had an issue. I would just ftp over the Extras Disc and run as a virtual disc. Download and extract Rocky's Extras Disc Attacher. Place the Extras Disc.iso in this folder, and ftp it to your App/Applications folder. It should say 'place extras disc in here'.

Restart the xbox and run it. There will be Upgrade/Update options, since you're already on Rocky's, choose Update.

As for Chimp, I really prefer FatXplorer3Beta on PC, if you can hook up your stock hdd to it. I use the Startech USB 2.0 adapter, but use direct Sata for larger ones.

Since you're Samsung, there are reports of issues with the recommended Startech sata adapter. I've used this cable 4 times, and it's worked great, snug fit.

20240320_155401~2.jpg

Edited by NokSueCow
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NokSueCow said:

Welcome.

I've used a pack of 50 Memorex DVD-R's since the days of SID and never had an issue. I would just ftp over the Extras Disc and run as a virtual disc. Download and extract Rocky's Extras Disc Attacher. Place the Extras Disc.iso in this folder, and ftp it to your App/Applications folder. It should say 'place extras disc in here'.

Restart the xbox and run it. There will be Upgrade/Update options, since you're already on Rocky's, choose Update.

As for Chimp, I really prefer FatXplorer3Beta on PC, if you can hook up your stock hdd to it. I use the Startech USB 2.0 adapter, but use direct Sata for larger ones.

Since you're Samsung, there are reports of issues with the recommended Startech sata adapter. I've used this cable 4 times, and it's worked great, snug fit.

20240320_155401~2.jpg

Hello NokSueCow, thank you for the welcome and the info. I have an old 40 80 ide cable 18 inches laying around, will try that first. The 24 inch cable to Canada is over $30 cad on Amazon 😒

I bought a generic adapter of Amazon for about half price of the Startech, it has a Master and Slave jumper and a few comments mentioned it works great with the og Xbox so hoping it will be good to go for me.

Of course, first think is getting the extras disc on my original hard drive. I will go to Best Buy and look for the Memorex, if they don't have it I will get the verbatim, I don't really want to buy a pack of 25+ just a waste of money for me. If it doesn't work I will consider FTP and then use Fatexplorer if Chimp files, I'm not too experienced with homebrew and this stuff and want to keep it as simple as possible.

Posted (edited)

I have another question please, don't know if this matters. In my Windows 10 PC, when I stick in a blank disc, it asks me if I want this disc to have a "live file system" (works only with Windows XP and above) or just the "Mastered" system (I always chose the mastered because from what I know the Xbox OS is based on Windows 2000 which predates Windows XP). But maybe I should choose live file system? Don't know if that makes any sort of difference. 

Also, the "extras" iso, it should be just a regular iso right? There is no "special" format like XISO or anything?

Edited by Mercenary

2 hours ago, Mercenary said:

The 24 inch cable to Canada is over $30 cad on Amazon 😒

I have a few new, 80 wire cables lying around. If you want to send me your address in a DM I will see how much it would cost to ship one to you. You’re definitely going to overpay at most places if you’re ordering internationally. Does Canada not have Amazon facilities?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I have a few new, 80 wire cables lying around. If you want to send me your address in a DM I will see how much it would cost to ship one to you. You’re definitely going to overpay at most places if you’re ordering internationally. Does Canada not have Amazon facilities?

Thank you for the kind offer, I'll take you up on that if my 18 inch doesn't work/not long enough. 

Yes we have Amazon warehouses/facilities and Amazon lockers all over the place, none the less Amazon Canada kind still sometimes be a big rip off compared to the US version. So in Canada that 24 inch cable is actually $35 cad plus tax, the 18 inch is $10 cad plus tax. Don't know how a 33 percent longer cable warrants over 3x the price but supply and demand I guess. That same 24 inch cable on US Amazon is $10 US plus $10 US shipping to me so that would be like $27 cad (product plus shipping), still cheaper than Canadian Amazon though takes longer to get off course.

On another note, of course Best Buy didn't have the 10 pack DVD-R for $5.99 in stock, so ordered a Verbatim DVD-R 50 pack for $24 cad on Amazon. That should last me for the rest of my life lol

Edited by Mercenary
  • Like 1

Hi all, so a little update. First of all, Verbatim DVD-R worked flawlessly for the extras disc. Second, I believe the SATA to ide adapter is faulty, chimp cannot detect any hard drive and I tried 4 hard drives (one 80 GB and 500 GB WD, two 500gb Seagate). It does detect the 10 GB original drive and the DVD drive if I leave it plugged in. On the 500gb WD I was clumsy hotswapping the Ide cable from the DVD drive to the 500gb drive and the SATA to ide adapter behind where the y splitter comes to the adapter's molex connector (r metal pins on the green board) touched the edge of the hard drive where the plastic ends and the metal casing start and their was a short and the console shut down. This happened a second time before I realized what was happening. I put electrical tape on the hard drive and the console is fine but chimp cannot detect any of the "to be cloned" hard drives (even though I can hear them running with the adapter plugged in). Don't know if the SATA to ide adapter was broken out of the box or the two shorts finished it off but I'm returning it and getting a replacement from Amazon. If the second one doesn't work I'll get the Startech one.

Posted (edited)

The hardware portion for this Xbox project has concluded. Replacement ide to sata adapter works great, the 18 inch 80 wire IDE cable works fine (shoutout to this video for showing how to do the cable management for the 18 inch versions, my cable management is not as neat as this guy but it does the job). The outside shell is fully reinstalled and everything is in one piece.

My 500gb hard drive is only showing like 120gb F partition though (chose no G partition), but I'm sure there's plenty of software/bioses to fix that. Not that I need much more than that anyway.

Edited by Mercenary

On 3/20/2024 at 7:23 PM, Mercenary said:

Ok, I will just try to get a quality new unscratched DVD-R and if that fails then FTP it is. I assume I can't just load the iso on a usb drive and copy it to my xbox's HDD?

Yes, with the Extras default.xbe attach app uploaded to the same Apps/Applications subfolder to mount/play/load it from the Apps menu.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:15 PM, Mercenary said:

Also, the "extras" iso, it should be just a regular iso right? There is no "special" format like XISO or anything?

The Extras Disc ISO file is an XISO disc image.  You burn the disc image to blank DVD-R medial.

On your PC, does the burned DVD show a directory listing in Windows Explorer?  If so, the disc image was not burned but a data disc that holds the dot iso file was created.

12 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Extras Disc ISO file is an XISO disc image.  You burn the disc image to blank DVD-R medial.

On your PC, does the burned DVD show a directory listing in Windows Explorer?  If so, the disc image was not burned but a data disc that holds the dot iso file was created.

Hi KaosEngineer, using a Verbatim DVD-R fixed the problem. The Xbox could not read the Verbatim CD-Rs or the Staples CD-RWs and Staples DVD-RW a though both Staples formats have heavily scratched discs. Tested my Xbox hard drive and it can ready (and copied to HDD) all my Xbox games as well as it can read audio (original) CDs.

Good to know for future yes that the USB drive can be used for apps.