OGXbox.com

Error 16 after changeing the modchip

Eisbier

First say hello to the members!

After years i found my xbox again 😉 . I have a 1.0 with a xecuter 1 modchip and i replaced the dvd drive to a Samsungs SD 616. I thought i would be nice to have a modifed box with more than my 80GB HDD. So tried my best. I solderd out the old modchip, replaced it with a cheap aladdin from aliexpress an removed the capacitor for the clock. Now i have the problems. I got an error 16 when i started up the box. No EvoX logo is shown on the screen. No DVD like OGXbox Installer ist working so far. The led on the modchip ist red when turned on.

I tried this with the old cable and old hdd.

I think the modchip is not working.

What are the possible problems? Did I some mistakes with soldering? Is the modchip garbage? Should i flash the chip out of the modchip. If this is correct. Witch cheap programmer should i use. 

Thanks for your help!.

eisbier

sure, here are the pictures. from the D0 to pin on the backside i have continuity. This is tested. 

Is a map of the board available where continuity of every pin is shown, to check this?

Thanks for your help!!!

IMG_8263a.jpg

IMG_8264a.jpg

IMG_8267a.jpg

i tried to resolder the pins. Here is the result. I get the same error code without the modchip. This is why I am thinking the chip is not working. I got these codes:

Modchip, DVD, HDD installed  Code 16

DVD, HDD without Modchip    Code 16

Modchip, HDD without DVD    Code 11

Modchip, DVD without HDD    Code 07

IMG_8270.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

17 hours ago, Eisbier said:

the HDD is not the original HDD, i used it with executer 1.0. i Tryed to install the original one, but unfortunately this device is broken. FatXplorer cant' recognize it either.

Like @dtomcat suggested, do NOT use the D0 on the chip. It doesn't work on Aladdins. You are probably booting the stock bios on the TSOP and not booting from the chip at all. Ground the mobo d0 to a ground pad or a screwhole ground pad. THEN try to boot. Don't wire up the chip at all.

Posted (edited)

If i ground D0 (Xbox Motherboard backside) to ground, the Box tries to start, fan starts for 1 sec. This repeats 3 times after that the box shuts off, red and green blinks rapidly. There is no output on the screen. 

Edited by Eisbier

So the FRAGing (flashing red and green) when d0 is grounded means it is either the soldering (probable) or bad chip. Your soldering after second time looks better… but could still be the issue.  I hesitate asking you to keep trying because you could burn up the pads with too much heat.  You really need some flux. I wouldn’t recommend trying without flux.   Is the hard drive locked?   Do you have an EEPROM backup?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eisbier said:

@dtomcat Harddrive locked, I don't know. I installed the HDD 2002. I don't have an EEPROM Backup, never thought I need this. 

My soldering stick has 30W with max 380 degrees an I used this Flux

IMG_8274.jpg

In my experience, this liquid flux is REALLY not ideal for LPC soldering. Find yourself a bottle of Amtech flux. It is MUCH better and will behave more in the way that flux traditionally does.

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

In my experience, this liquid flux is REALLY not ideal for LPC soldering. Find yourself a bottle of Amtech flux. It is MUCH better and will behave more in the way that flux traditionally does.

I’ve always been partial to the paste flux over liquid. That’s just a preference of mine. I also usually tell people who are starting out to go with a paste or gel type until they really get the hang of it. When people start out with liquid (having never used anything else) I think they tend to not use enough of it. IMO. 

• Like 2

Hi! I'm back. Unfortunately the flux hasn't arrived yet. But in the meantime I cleaned the solder joints. In addition, I tried to check whether the soldering points have connections to places on the board. Attached are the pictures (i hope better) of what I found out. Each PIN has corresponding connection on the board. So I think that the soldering points are working and re-soldering wouldn't make any improvement.

front1r.jpg