OGXbox.com

Suspected Hdd Failure

Tiberius2019

Hi,

Just fired up my xbox after being sat there for many months. It made a pop type sound and after 10 minutes of play started to make a beeping noise with error 7.

I've pulled the hdd out and it makes the same beeping noise in an external caddy.

I've done a little bit of research and it seems that if I use an old ata hdd (40gb) I can use something called Hexen to build the drive. As I have an xecuter chip I don't need to worry about locking the drive. Can somebody please advise if this is correct?

Thank you

Edited by Tiberius2019

Thank you for your help Tomos.

I found an old ata IBM Desktar DTLA-305040 (tested and working on my PC).

I stuck that in my xbox and booted up with the Hexen boot disk and the xbox just sits there at the Xbox logo screen.

It does not present the screen that states a new hdd is detected etc. I have tried with jumper settings set to both master and Cable Select.

I read somewhere that if the hdd is not compatible these were the symptoms. Is this true? If so I will purchase a different hdd.

In a recent video posted by Mr Mario, he recommended this drive as the one he had used:-

Hitachi HCS725025VLAT80 Cinemaster 7K500 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Buffer ATA-133 40-pin 3.5 Inch Hard Drive.

Hopefully mine will arrive at the end of the month and will sort it all out.

I've even burnt Hexen 2018 to 2 different makes of DVD to rule out DVD media issue.

Thanks again Tomos

Edited by Tiberius2019