OGXbox.com

Noisy video

Electric

I've bought a v1.1 128mb Xbox from ebay years ago with an LCD. However the seller for some reason removed the bottom metal RF shielding.

I wonder if there is a way to fix the video without buying a donor xbox (due to high shipping costs).

More on the condition of the xbox:

- Tsop flashed with a modified Xecuter X3 bios and I am afraid to change it.

- It is a PAL unit (not sure on what psu)

- Wasn't serviced except for clock cap removal and changed the HDD to a startech CF card adapter.

- Changed to 80wire ide

I don’t think it’s they don’t like project stellar.  It’s they don’t like the creator and his business practices.  I really like my project stellar and HD+ mod.  @Bowlsnapperwas a strong critic and really liked the project after ordering a full kit by accident.   He might be able to tell you better.  There is an open source project in the works by @Harcroft, but it will be a bit before its released. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Electric said:

I've bought a v1.1 128mb Xbox from ebay years ago with an LCD. However the seller for some reason removed the bottom metal RF shielding.

I wonder if there is a way to fix the video without buying a donor xbox (due to high shipping costs).

More on the condition of the xbox:

- Tsop flashed with a modified Xecuter X3 bios and I am afraid to change it.

- It is a PAL unit (not sure on what psu)

- Wasn't serviced except for clock cap removal and changed the HDD to a startech CF card adapter.

- Changed to 80wire ide

Why not buy an RF shield? :) Or I guess you could use HDMI if you wish.

Yes, the HD+ does work very well. Stellar is pretty cool too. You will either need Nemesis' STM32 dev board to use the HD+ without the stellar, or buy the standalone kit from MM. I would TSOP flash with Cerbios, which is compatible with the HD+ anyway, but don't be scared to change it. You don't have to be. But if you wait for the Open XHD, that is an option as well, and you will not need to deal with standalone STM32 horsecrap. 

How does the CF work for you? Why not a SATA?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Why not buy an RF shield? :) Or I guess you could use HDMI if you wish.

Yes, the HD+ does work very well. Stellar is pretty cool too. You will either need Nemesis' STM32 dev board to use the HD+ without the stellar, or buy the standalone kit from MM. I would TSOP flash with Cerbios, which is compatible with the HD+ anyway, but don't be scared to change it. You don't have to be. But if you wait for the Open XHD, that is an option as well, and you will not need to deal with standalone STM32 horsecrap. 

How does the CF work for you? Why not a SATA?

If someone from this forum wants to sell me a bottom RF shield I would pay 15$ + shipping for it.

>Everyone talking RF shield, no mention of caps

OP have you checked the other capacitors on the board? Any of them bulging at all, especially around the CPU+GPU heatsinks?

Only saying as none of my boxes have the RF shielding and most of their video issues were solved by recapping (that or shoddy video cables)

12 hours ago, Kalpi said:

>Everyone talking RF shield, no mention of caps

OP have you checked the other capacitors on the board? Any of them bulging at all, especially around the CPU+GPU heatsinks?

Only saying as none of my boxes have the RF shielding and most of their video issues were solved by recapping (that or shoddy video cables)

Removing the bottom RF shield in my case IMMEDIATELY led to video interference in a console that was not prone to it, with caps or otherwise. Putting it back in IMMEDIATEly resolved the interference issues brought on by removing it. 

Sorry for gatekeeping, but I would like to confirm that although a recap should always be done, I believe this issue will be resolved by replacing the RF shield. With caps, usually, either the video works, or doesn't at all.