OGXbox.com

Best Replacement Parts?

Marbles

What are the best replacement parts for the Original Xbox and where would I buy them?

Thanks to you I've already gotten a new IDE cable and bands for my DVD Drive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264927666468?hash=item3daeeb6124:g:fDoAAOSwYVZfNwU1
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Drive-Replacement-Drives-Stuck/dp/B079VQCYSM
Monoprice AC Cables are amazing

Just in case, I'm looking for the rest of the internal wiring
Such as the 4 pin peripheral power cable, is the base a standard ATX?
What about the power cord for the DVD Drive?
What about new ThumbSticks? I heard they can be found on ebay, but there are dozens of sellers, and some even say those don't fit properly.
Where do I buy new capacitors?

What about external wiring?
Whats the best component cable?
Best RCA Composite Cable?
Once again Monoprice for AV Cable.
(I use both the Chimera HDMI and the RetroTink 5x for my gaming)

Just trying to rebuild my X-box, and a couple junkers I have so they can last another 20yrs.

Edited by Marbles

1 minute ago, Marbles said:

What are the best replacement parts for the Original Xbox and where would I buy them?

Thanks to you I've already gotten a new IDE cable and bands for my DVD Drive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264927666468?hash=item3daeeb6124:g:fDoAAOSwYVZfNwU1
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Drive-Replacement-Drives-Stuck/dp/B079VQCYSM
Monoprice AC Cables are amazing

Just in case, I'm looking for the rest of the internal wiring
Such as the 4 pin peripheral power cable, is the base a standard ATX?
What about the power cord for the DVD Drive?
What about new ThumbSticks? I heard they can be found on ebay, but there are dozens of sellers, and some even say those don't fit properly.
Where do I buy new capacitors?

Just trying to rebuild my X-box, and a couple junkers I have so they can last another 20yrs.

For capacitors definitely go with Mouser Electronics or Digikey if you’re US based. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

For capacitors definitely go with Mouser Electronics or Digikey if you’re US based. 

Digikey makes good AC Adapters.
Ugh, I hate when I ask a serious question and the company gives "only use OUR Adapter"

For the best component AV cable, search for a original MS 360 component cable, cut the head off and solder in OG Xbox AV connector. You can get lot of used Xbox RCA AV cables from eBay and they are pretty easy to disassemble. Separate AV connector can be also bought from Aliexpress, don't know about the quality though.

For a full set of capacitors, https://console5.com/store/microsoft-xbox-original-cap-kit.html this is by far the easiest but maybe not the most cost effective. 

4-Pin 90 degree Molex power connectors can be bought from everywhere, its the same as AT/ATX.

DVD drive power cables used to be available from Aliexpress but can't find any now. Your best bet would be eBay.

Don't know about the ThumbSticks, hopefully someone chimes in for a good quality replacement. I have few controllers that drift and need both, new ThumbSticks and potentiometers.

4 minutes ago, TelaKeppi said:

For the best component AV cable, search for a original MS 360 component cable, cut the head off and solder in OG Xbox AV connector. You can get lot of used Xbox RCA AV cables from eBay and they are pretty easy to disassemble. Separate AV connector can be also bought from Aliexpress, don't know about the quality though.

For a full set of capacitors, https://console5.com/store/microsoft-xbox-original-cap-kit.html this is by far the easiest but maybe not the most cost effective. 

4-Pin 90 degree Molex power connectors can be bought from everywhere, its the same as AT/ATX.

DVD drive power cables used to be available from Aliexpress but can't find any now. Your best bet would be eBay.

Don't know about the ThumbSticks, hopefully someone chimes in for a good quality replacement. I have few controllers that drift and need both, new ThumbSticks and potentiometers.

I keep seeing these, but not sure if worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296105680925

I got a set of 100 sticks a few months ago and recommend them. Good quality, have some texture, but not too much. A few of them were hard to press on, but eventually did. I've used this 80 wire 5 times now and it feels sturdy, solid connectors. These are the best caps I've came across, he used to have a description on them that explained why they were better than the normally recommended ones. Super low esr, or low ohms, something like that. If you find an official HD pack without the cables, these are always recommended that I've seen, and have great reviews. I plan on ordering these belts, as I've read they will work with the 22mm ID drives. I use the ifixit toolkit and love it. I just wish it had an extra long extension that is the same size as the bits. I can barely fit the bit into a duke, and some 3rd party controllers, the bits just wont reach at all. The extension that comes with the kit is too wide.

Edited by NokSueCow
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 9:09 AM, NokSueCow said:

I got a set of 100 sticks a few months ago and recommend them. Good quality, have some texture, but not too much. A few of them were hard to press on, but eventually did. I've used this 80 wire 5 times now and it feels sturdy, solid connectors. These are the best caps I've came across, he used to have a description on them that explained why they were better than the normally recommended ones. Super low esr, or low ohms, something like that. If you find an official HD pack without the cables, these are always recommended that I've seen, and have great reviews. I plan on ordering these belts, as I've read they will work with the 22mm ID drives. I use the ifixit toolkit and love it. I just wish it had an extra long extension that is the same size as the bits. I can barely fit the bit into a duke, and some 3rd party controllers, the bits just wont reach at all. The extension that comes with the kit is too wide.

I have a shitload too. I use them to restore a box of 30 cosmetically destroyed controllers I have. By the time I'm done, they look like new... I need to look at those controller cord replacements as I have a few that need them. HD Retro makes the best general component cables I have ever seen. However, Monster makes the best component cables for the xbox, or at least, those are the best available. I would use them with the AV pack also. :)

@Marbles Edit: added info about the Monster cables.

• Like 1