OGXbox.com

Sound/Video issue with my 1.4

I have a 1.4 with a flashed TSOP on Cerbios running XBMC4Gamers. First symptom I noticed was a half-second complete video and sound blackout every so often which wasn't too intrusive, but I had other boxes to play on, so never thought too much about it until now when I've started using this box again. I'm not getting the half-second drop-outs like before but what I am getting is really stuttery FMV playback. It's a bit weird in that it plays game preview videos OK, but once I start a game, any video sequence playback is all stuttery - like a record skipping every second or two. The gameplay itself is flawless. I swapped the HDD into another system and it played fine while the other system HDD had the same issue in the problem box. When I got this particular system it looked almost like brand new - and still does, and looking at all the caps, they look in pristine condition. Does choppy video playback point to anything in particular to anyone?

Could be something up with the CPU? There another user here who made a thread similar to this where a certain Xbox was not able to play some games properly while they worked fine on others. 

It honestly just sounds like chip failure to me. 

But I'm no expert heck even an experienced person in that regard so don't take my comment seriously.

5 minutes ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

Yeh, it's an over 20 years' old console so, do caps go bad with age or with use? Could they be bad but look fine?

Well as you said they’re over 20 years old. The life expectancy of the aluminum electrolytic capacitors ran out a while back. I’d for sure replace the 3300uf 6.3v caps near the cpu but honestly they could all use replacing just due to their age. Also yes they can be bad and still look ok. Usually you see some outward signs but not every time. 

This probably doesn’t relate to your current issue but just wanted to answer your question about capacitors. :D I like to replace the caps near the cpu by default regardless of what they look like since they tend to be a common point of failure anyway.  When I have time I’ll just do a full board recap all together. 

On 2/8/2024 at 7:14 AM, PRince404 said:

Could be something up with the CPU? There another user here who made a thread similar to this where a certain Xbox was not able to play some games properly while they worked fine on others. 

It honestly just sounds like chip failure to me. 

But I'm no expert heck even an experienced person in that regard so don't take my comment seriously.

Ah yeh...although games play without issue other than the FMV parts. What's strange is that it plays the synopsis video previews without issue.