OGXbox.com

Xenium not detected fix/workaround

MadMartigan

I recently hopped into the Prometheos thread here with trouble getting my original Xenium chip updated. I searched all over the web and only found users with the same issue and not one shred of evidence on how to get passed this obstacle, until today. Being that Prometheos is new and most everyone doesn’t run into the xenium tools issue, there was no step by step guide on what to do otherwise. Embarrassingly, it was a fairly easy fix, but risky without having full confirmation and no success stories to go off of. It occurred to me to just rename the files so the old Xenium tools would see them, since it doesn’t allow you to choose your file. I didn’t write these files and do not know the full extent of what they do behind the curtain so I ruled that option out and continued my research in fear of making a brick. I also had other flashers in different folders with backups for each one. In the end, with @Harcroft holding my hand, we got it done. He assured me it was ok to delete all the other files completely and go ahead to rename the Prometheos.bin file to flash.bin (this is also not mentioned in the text files) and put it in the folder with the the old xenium tools. That’s the fix and I just made you read all of that when I could have just told you outright LOL. The previous versions apparently weren’t designed to work with the old Team Xodus chips and this is already being addressed  

To summarize, users using very old XOS versions (2.3.1>) were not able to use the newest versions of Xenium Tools. The modified tools is included in the download for Prometheus 2.0.1. Be sure to be running a bios from your Xenium and not your TSOP, otherwise even the new tools will not detect your chip. Also you must rename the Prometheos.bin file to “flash.bin” and have it in the same folder as your xenium tools. DO NOT create a backup of your chip before flashing. This will cause the program to flash what you just backed up. I think that’s pretty much it. 

The dev team will have a much more professional explanation. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I recently hopped into the Prometheos thread here with trouble getting my original Xenium chip updated. I searched all over the web and only found users with the same issue and not one shred of evidence on how to get passed this obstacle, until today. Being that Prometheos is new and most everyone doesn’t run into the xenium tools issue, there was no step by step guide on what to do otherwise. Embarrassingly, it was a fairly easy fix, but risky without having full confirmation and no success stories to go off of. It occurred to me to just rename the files so the old Xenium tools would see them, since it doesn’t allow you to choose your file. I didn’t write these files and do not know the full extent of what they do behind the curtain so I ruled that option out and continued my research in fear of making a brick. I also had other flashers in different folders with backups for each one. In the end, with @Harcroft holding my hand, we got it done. He assured me it was ok to delete all the other files completely and go ahead to rename the Prometheos.bin file to flash.bin (this is also not mentioned in the text files) and put it in the folder with the the old xenium tools. That’s the fix and I just made you read all of that when I could have just told you outright LOL. The previous versions apparently weren’t designed to work with the old Team Xodus chips and this is already being addressed  

To summarize, users using very old XOS versions (2.3.1>) were not able to use the newest versions of Xenium Tools. The modified tools is included in the download for Prometheus 2.0.1. Be sure to be running a bios from your Xenium and not your TSOP, otherwise even the new tools will not detect your chip. Also you must rename the Prometheos.bin file to “flash.bin” and have it in the same folder as your xenium tools. DO NOT create a backup of your chip before flashing. This will cause the program to flash what you just backed up. I think that’s pretty much it. 

I was wondering about the TSOP thing. I felt that it was a silly suggestion and I didn't want to waste a post mentioning it as I knew it wasn't your specific problem... or I didn't think so anyway. 😛

I'm a bit confused... You had two problems. One was that the tools app didn't detect your old Xenium, which I think you're saying was a bug that is being worked on. However the blue version (do I have that right? There are two different versions of xeniumtools that you were trying to use?) was showing that it was flashing but not taking. Was renaming the file the fix for this with this version of Xeniumtools? If so, that is a WEIRD fix! So renaming the file let you flash just like it was appearing to do before but this time the flash actually persisted?

Thank you for posting the solution. I'm surprised this hasn't been detailed before now!

Sorry for being retarded, I'm just trying to be sure I understand what was being used and what didn't work for what reason.

6 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Good info for those who have the original chips. I'm sure the Prometheus devs will get a fix in nice and quick :)

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

However the blue version (do I have that right? There are two different versions of xeniumtools that you were trying to use?) was showing that it was flashing but not taking. Was renaming the file the fix for this with this version of Xeniumtools? If so, that is a WEIRD fix! So renaming the file let you flash just like it was appearing to do before but this time the flash actually persisted? 

The few guides that were available for Prometheos upgrades were strictly for OpenXeniums, which most ppl had up to date. They overlooked older chips and potential for customers having them. They acknowledged the oversight by Implementing the TeamXodus chips with a different version on Xenium Tools. (EVERY OLD VERSION WONT WORK). They created two, new modified versions. With the new you can navigate to your file and choose it, but not two that the old ones. It only looks in the file that xenium tools is opened from. This is where my backups were already and the guides said to simply drag your Prometheos files into a folder. They weren’t as specific as they should’ve been. Once renaming the Prometheos files to flash.bin, erasing all old traces of thes files and recovery.bins, it was now able to see the flash and execute it. THIS STILL WILL NOT WORK WITH NEW XENIUM TOOLS, but it does detect the chip now. Ok I’m done retyping this over and over. 

• Thanks 1

One important note in the start of this thread. @MadMartigan backed up their Xenium flash image first, which was also named flash.bin, and FTPd that off the console before trying to flash anything. That is a critical step before writing any new flash image to your Xenium modchip.

After having their backup, off the xbox in a safe location, they went about trying to flash PrometheOS.

This also isn't really a PrometheOS problem. This is a documentation issue sort of. The Xenium Tools app is very self explanatory but you really need to pay attention to the prompts and text on screen to understand what is happening. MadMartigan was just continually writing their original xenium backup over their chip's flash memory.

Edited by Harcroft
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1