OGXbox.com

How to proceed with my old 1.6 Xbox / Aladdin Advance XT

morpher79

Hello, 

Been looking at this for a while and can't really find the right way of doing this. I have a 1.6 crystal Xbox I had modded with an Aladdin Advance XT back in ~2005, then mostly never used, so in pristine condition and working well. It boots into EvoX when longpressing the power button.

Since the BIOS is ancient, I'd like to update it and install a new hard drive.

What would be the recommended way of doing this? Seems like a jungle of options out there, thankful for any advice.

That is how I would do it 
1. make a Folder c:/Bios and copy over cerbios
2. in C copy xblast open it and flash cerbios 
3. buy hdd, 80pin ide cable and startech adapter

4. make cd with hexen or ogxbox installer and format hdd with it (small hdd) // for big hdd use fatxplorer
4.5. Big hdd after format use  cd with hexen or ogxbox installer to put all the files on 
5: ?????
6. Profit

Edited by herooftheday
  • Thanks 1

Cerbios, Startech adapter and Samsung DVD drives have a fundamental incompatibility if used with hard drives larger than 750gb. This is a 1.6 and almost definitely has a samsung dvd drive in it unless you are super lucky to have a hitachi. I have a thread here explaining this issue and how to fix it. The cerbios discord and xbox-scene helped me fix it. You need to use a specific version of the china green adapters and modify it with a resistor. So please check what dvd drive you have before buying a startech adapter. If you decide to not use the dvd drive at all the incompatibility won't matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Raidernick said:

Cerbios, Startech adapter and Samsung DVD drives have a fundamental incompatibility if used with hard drives larger than 750gb. This is a 1.6 and almost definitely has a samsung dvd drive in it unless you are super lucky to have a hitachi. I have a thread here explaining this issue and how to fix it. The cerbios discord and xbox-scene helped me fix it. You need to use a specific version of the china green adapters and modify it with a resistor. So please check what dvd drive you have before buying a startech adapter. If you decide to not use the dvd drive at all the incompatibility won't matter.

It's a Philips DVD drive, but I don't have access to a CD/DVD burner so will probably have to do it another way. 

9 hours ago, herooftheday said:

That is how I would do it 
1. make a Folder c:/Bios and copy over cerbios
2. in C copy xblast open it and flash cerbios 
3. buy hdd, 80pin ide cable and startech adapter

4. make cd with hexen or ogxbox installer and format hdd with it (small hdd) // for big hdd use fatxplorer
4.5. Big hdd after format use  cd with hexen or ogxbox installer to put all the files on 
5: ?????
6. Profit

Is there a good step-by-step tutorial of steps 1 and 2 somewhere? First time doing this so will need some elaboration 😅

connect it to the lan, boot up the console if it has a dashboard connect to it via ftp 
cients: filezilla-project.org
than pushover XBlast_OS_v0.56.xbe to the C-Partition.
also create a folder named in C-Partition called Bios an in there push over cerbios.bin :

example: Cerbios Hybrid V2.3.1 BETA.bin

My mirror for Cerbios V2.3.1 Beta

start xblast though the xbe and go to flash menu.
use hdd flash and follow the prompt.

and that should do it.

If you use it right now use non of the Udma ones that you can use them with the adapters later.
Startech U5
generic ones U4 at best.

xblast tut:
Xblast OS menu overview and flash bios (YT)

Edited by herooftheday

12 hours ago, morpher79 said:

It boots into EvoX when longpressing the power button.

Also if you are confident with soldering you can remove the BT point from the chip and board and just ground it so it will always boot into the chip.

spacer.png

Edited by herooftheday
added pic

4 hours ago, morpher79 said:

I don't have access to a CD/DVD burner so will probably have to do it another way. 

There is 
https://www.hazeno.com/home/hdd-upgrade-2tb-and-under
there is everything you need with pics as well.

also you will need  
https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

iso/cci you can google for them 😉

Edited by herooftheday

2 hours ago, herooftheday said:

connect it to the lan, boot up the console if it has a dashboard connect to it via ftp 
cients: filezilla-project.org
than pushover XBlast_OS_v0.56.xbe to the C-Partition.
also create a folder named in C-Partition called Bios an in there push over cerbios.bin :

example: Cerbios Hybrid V2.3.1 BETA.bin

My mirror for Cerbios V2.3.1 Beta

start xblast though the xbe and go to flash menu.
use hdd flash and follow the prompt.

Tried running XBlast, but it claims my modchip is unsupported. Read somewhere that that could be disregarded, but is it safe?

33 minutes ago, herooftheday said:

I never had issues with it.

If it says unsupported.

By the flash process ist verifys aslong as it reboots everything should be fine.

Well that kind of worked. It boots into Cerbios, but then immediately goes into the ancient EvolutionX interface. Plus that the scart stopped working and that the fan now is really loud. Any ideas? 🤨

12 minutes ago, morpher79 said:

nt EvolutionX interface.

Yes taht is normal because it looks for evoxdash.xbe
You can copy that over to get xbmc4gamers running:

Plus that the scart stopped working

that is new to me hmmm. @KaosEngineer could help with that

the fan now is really loud. Any ideas?

you can copy over the cerbios.ini (included in hazeno) file where you can control fanspeed.

Edited by herooftheday

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, herooftheday said:

you can copy over the cerbios.ini (included in hazeno) file where you can control fanspeed.

Ok, cool, thanks!

I guess I could just replace what's on the C and E partitions on my original HDD with the ones provided in the link, while I wait for a new one?

Edited by morpher79
Word choice

3 hours ago, morpher79 said:

Ok, cool, thanks!

I guess I could just replace what's on the C and E partitions on my original HDD with the ones provided in the link, while I wait for a new one?

You could run an installer disc and install the dashboard of your choice.

13 hours ago, herooftheday said:

Hmm, the contacts of the cable or connector on the back of the Xbox may be dirty and/or corroded.  Clean them all with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and/or electronic contact spray cleaner.

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Hmm, the contacts of the cable or connector on the back of the Xbox may be dirty and/or corroded.  Clean them all with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and/or electronic contact spray cleaner.

It worked with the old EvoX (?) BIOS right before flashing, but I read somewhere that Cerbios wouldn't support Scart. A/V works, but the picture quality seems a bit worse (even though I suppose it should be mostly identical). I'll just get a component cable, I guess.

Anyway, this Xbox has hardly been used, and the board looks more or less new. None of the capacitors bulge, so I'll leave them alone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, morpher79 said:

It worked with the old EvoX (?) BIOS right before flashing, but I read somewhere that Cerbios wouldn't support Scart. A/V works, but the picture quality seems a bit worse (even though I suppose it should be mostly identical). I'll just get a component cable, I guess.

Anyway, this Xbox has hardly been used, and the board looks more or less new. None of the capacitors bulge, so I'll leave them alone. 

Caps don't always bulge, they leak underneath which you can't see. Bare minimum you should replace the cpu caps and clock cap.

1 hour ago, Raidernick said:

Caps don't always bulge, they leak underneath which you can't see. Bare minimum you should replace the cpu caps and clock cap.

This is a revision 1.6 though, so the clock cap issue shouldn't apply? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, morpher79 said:

This is a revision 1.6 though, so the clock cap issue shouldn't apply? 

The issue with leakage and trace rot and all that doesn't happen with the 1.6s. The caps just go bad at the regular rate that all the others inside do: Uncatastrophically. 

50 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

I had no idea there were Hitachi drives in some Xbox. They don't have a cap kit on console5, must be pretty rare. Similarly, it isn't referenced in the repair handbook.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 230327.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 230737.png

Found a picture. MFG date DEC 2004. Anyone know the final Date of production on the original Xbox? Last week or month they rolled out of factories?

y9nv90bmdia71.webp

They stopped making them in the second half of 2005. I want to say July/August. As for the Hitachi drives I’ve never run across one in hundreds of Xboxes. I’m sure they’re out there somewhere but I don’t know how common they are. That statement may guarantee the next box I open has one. Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thairanny said:

I had no idea there were Hitachi drives in some Xbox. They don't have a cap kit on console5, must be pretty rare. Similarly, it isn't referenced in the repair handbook.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 230327.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 230737.png

Found a picture. MFG date DEC 2004. Anyone know the final Date of production on the original Xbox? Last week or month they rolled out of factories?

y9nv90bmdia71.webp

I've only ever come across one ever in over 100 xbox's and it was in a 1.6b.

• Like 2