OGXbox.com

Xecuter 2.3b lite Fragging on Boot

Mittyoz

So separate to my Softmod in another thread, I also have an old Xecuter 2.3b lite which has sat in my toolbox for about 15 years or so.  Physically it's in pristine condition.  I have no idea what bios it should/might have on it, as it was removed from my old Xbox way back when after I got another (original Xenium) chip.  I have the ground/D0 cable and a switch module.

I'm not the worlds best solderer but I managed to use braid etc to remove the solder from the LPC holes on my v1.0 board, and solder in a 12 pin header.  

I don't have the cable for the switch module for this chip, so have tried using spare wire to set the switches so the chip would be enabled.

The LED's on the chip light up when powered on, regardless of the state of ground/D0. 

However, if I jumper the pins to enable the chip, or ground D0, my console frags (eg on/off three times, ending with flashing green/red light). 

I have triple checked my soldering.  I used a multimeter to test all the pins on the LPC following a guide in another thread and voltages etc appear correct when the console is powered on.  D0 is definitely correct as there is continuity if I bridge the top D0 point with the wire (which is soldered to the bottom D0 point). 

My question is, if the Modchip bios isn't correctly flashed/loaded, would that cause a Frag?  I'm worried my soldering isn't good enough but all the multimeter tests seem to indicate everything is working as it should be, leading me to think the chip is faulty/dead (even though the LED's light). 

I'm close to ordering an OpenXenium if I can find one somewhere, as that will negate my TSOP/HDD issues, but just worried there might be something i'm missing with my soldering etc.    

Thanks for any advice :)

16 minutes ago, Mittyoz said:

So separate to my Softmod in another thread, I also have an old Xecuter 2.3b lite which has sat in my toolbox for about 15 years or so.  Physically it's in pristine condition.  I have no idea what bios it should/might have on it, as it was removed from my old Xbox way back when after I got another (original Xenium) chip.  I have the ground/D0 cable and a switch module.

I'm not the worlds best solderer but I managed to use braid etc to remove the solder from the LPC holes on my v1.0 board, and solder in a 12 pin header.  

I don't have the cable for the switch module for this chip, so have tried using spare wire to set the switches so the chip would be enabled.

The LED's on the chip light up when powered on, regardless of the state of ground/D0. 

However, if I jumper the pins to enable the chip, or ground D0, my console frags (eg on/off three times, ending with flashing green/red light). 

I have triple checked my soldering.  I used a multimeter to test all the pins on the LPC following a guide in another thread and voltages etc appear correct when the console is powered on.  D0 is definitely correct as there is continuity if I bridge the top D0 point with the wire (which is soldered to the bottom D0 point). 

My question is, if the Modchip bios isn't correctly flashed/loaded, would that cause a Frag?  I'm worried my soldering isn't good enough but all the multimeter tests seem to indicate everything is working as it should be, leading me to think the chip is faulty/dead (even though the LED's light). 

I'm close to ordering an OpenXenium if I can find one somewhere, as that will negate my TSOP/HDD issues, but just worried there might be something i'm missing with my soldering etc.    

Thanks for any advice :)

What mobo revision was it attached to before? Do you happen to remember? Could have a 1.6 bios on it. Just sayin. May need a flash anyway. Yes, it could cause a FRAG. 

Nah definitely wasn't a 1.6 as it was a normal variety pinheader install, no LPC rebuild or anything required.  I don't recall the exact version number but it was probably a 1.2 (it wasn't a 1.0.  I remember that much at least.  Funny thing things you remember and forget over the course of 15/20 years). 

• Haha 1

^Yes have tried that (via fiddling with wires due to lack of a switch bank) same issue.  I know my wiring is working because if I jumper the "enable" pin to ground it frags when the ground/D0 cable is plugged in.  It also frags if I ground D0 directly to ground without being plugged into the chip.

So I've bitten the bullet and ordered an OpenXenium from a local Oz seller on Ebay, good feedback etc (ended up costing me $49.35 with some Ebay discounts, equates to ~$32.78USD (there is no way I could get one shipped to me from an Overseas seller for that price, shipping alone is abominable).  Hopefully it arrives in the next few days.    

• Like 1

Once the Xenium arrives hopefully in the next few days I'll post some pix.

In the meantime I used my Multimeter to triple check soldering/connections for the LPC and D0 to various points on the motherboard using this marvellous post:

It would seem although my soldering is a tad dodgy looking, everything is correct, so I just need to wait for a chip that hopefully actually works and plug it in (and connect D0).  Of course there is the chance that the chip isn't faulty and there's some other issue, though  

I've also cleaned up the board a bit, it was very dusty, removed heatsinks/applied new thermal paste.

The case isn't perfect by any stretch, so assuming this all works I'm toying with the idea of painting it perhaps.  I'm thinking as close to TARDIS blue as possible :)

EDIT oh and I removed the Clock Cap.  There was a tiny bit of corrision but cleaned it up with Isopropyl.  Not planning to replace.  Other caps on this v1.0 box look in perfect condition, at least physically, no bulges or leaks or anything like that.  

Edited by Mittyoz

On 11/28/2023 at 12:34 PM, Mittyoz said:

So I've bitten the bullet and ordered an OpenXenium from a local Oz seller on Ebay, good feedback etc (ended up costing me $49.35 with some Ebay discounts, equates to ~$32.78USD (there is no way I could get one shipped to me from an Overseas seller for that price, shipping alone is abominable).  Hopefully it arrives in the next few days.    

Hardmodding will always be king. :) Congrats on getting an OX for 30 bucks. You scored!

Any chance you'd tried booting a game backup or installer disc without the chip just to see if the tsop flash you tried actually took.  Maybe it worked and it's just failing to load the dash because it's also softmodded.  At least with an installer disc if it does indeed boot it should have an option in the menu to restore the drive contents to stock.

22 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Any chance you'd tried booting a game backup or installer disc without the chip just to see if the tsop flash you tried actually took.  Maybe it worked and it's just failing to load the dash because it's also softmodded.  At least with an installer disc if it does indeed boot it should have an option in the menu to restore the drive contents to stock.

That's a good point. If he can load discs, and he can, then he should be able to wipe out the HDD and install a dash, since he IS TSOP flashed. I would use Cerbios. He flashed EVOX for some reason... @Mittyoz But the chip he got will make things much simpler. It's already coming so now he will have a much easier time.

Mitty, flash Cerbios to the chip. Use UDMA2 if you're using the stock HDD and use UDMA6 if you get the Startech and a SATA drive.

So chip arrived, here it is installed.  My soldering angst was all for nought as it worked first go.  Installed OpenXenium - Imgur so my other xecuter definitely had some issue.  Wonder if there's a way to rescue it.

Even though I didn't order it, this OpenXenium came with a cheapo IDE/Sata Adapter and an 80 wire IDE cable!  

So I used XBoxHDM to create a drive using an old 128GB SSD I have laying around.  

Via the Xenium FTP server, I can see files on the drive, and copy files to it no problems when plugged in with the adapter I have.   So it does appear to be working, at least to some degree.

However no matter what Bios I try, it won't boot to the dash, and I also can't even boot from a burnt DVD, at least not this way.

What does work is that I used Sweet's kindly provided files to rebuild the C/E partitions on the Stock Drive (and blow away the soft mod), which now boots again.  Once in the dashboard I can boot into a burnt disc.  

Fully prepared that this cheap IDE/Sata adapter might be the issue.  I also have some other drives I can try, so might give a couple of those a go.

Definitely in a better place than I was the other day :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mittyoz said:

So chip arrived, here it is installed.  My soldering angst was all for nought as it worked first go.  Installed OpenXenium - Imgur so my other xecuter definitely had some issue.  Wonder if there's a way to rescue it.

Even though I didn't order it, this OpenXenium came with a cheapo IDE/Sata Adapter and an 80 wire IDE cable!  

So I used XBoxHDM to create a drive using an old 128GB SSD I have laying around.  

Via the Xenium FTP server, I can see files on the drive, and copy files to it no problems when plugged in with the adapter I have.   So it does appear to be working, at least to some degree.

However no matter what Bios I try, it won't boot to the dash, and I also can't even boot from a burnt DVD, at least not this way.

What does work is that I used Sweet's kindly provided files to rebuild the C/E partitions on the Stock Drive (and blow away the soft mod), which now boots again.  Once in the dashboard I can boot into a burnt disc.  

Fully prepared that this cheap IDE/Sata adapter might be the issue.  I also have some other drives I can try, so might give a couple of those a go.

Definitely in a better place than I was the other day :)

Glad to hear the c and e rebuild remedied one of the issues as we’d hoped. :) Always nice when that happens!

^Yeah I felt happy that it worked.  Love the OpenXenium and the flexibility it offers.

Still having issues though.  

Dumb question, but if the drive plugged into the cheap SATA/IDE adapter is accessibly via Xenium FTP, should it also work via a particular BIOS?  The one I have has a master/slave jumper, I've set it as slave though it was still accessible on the Xenium when the jumper was removed. 

I've tried Cerbios v2.31. as Bowlsnapper suggested, tried multiple different UDMA settings, but so far no dice.

I think my DVD drive might be on it's last legs, or the DVD-RW I'm using isn't the best.  It won't boot directly from a disc straight away (should it?) 

The only time it will boot off a disc, is if I boot into stock dash.  I first get a message saying the disc is dirty, but if I then eject it and put it back in, it will then boot.  But this won't work if I have a blank drive plugged into the SATA/IDE adapter.

I have a couple of 128GB SSD's I can try, and I also have a 320GB spinning SATA disk.  I've tried setting these up with XBoxHDM however the 320GB never finishes the process, appears it might be too big.  The other 128GB SSD seemed to work and I could see files and partitions in the FTP server, but the box still won't boot from it through multiple bios's (bioi? :D)

Sorry for the noob questions.  Have searched for various answers and others having similar issues.  Will keep fiddling with it today.  Pouring with rain here this weekend so not much else to do!!!

7 minutes ago, Mittyoz said:

^Yeah I felt happy that it worked.  Love the OpenXenium and the flexibility it offers.

Still having issues though.  

Dumb question, but if the drive plugged into the cheap SATA/IDE adapter is accessibly via Xenium FTP, should it also work via a particular BIOS?  The one I have has a master/slave jumper, I've set it as slave though it was still accessible on the Xenium when the jumper was removed. 

I've tried Cerbios v2.31. as Bowlsnapper suggested, tried multiple different UDMA settings, but so far no dice.

I think my DVD drive might be on it's last legs, or the DVD-RW I'm using isn't the best.  It won't boot directly from a disc straight away (should it?) 

The only time it will boot off a disc, is if I boot into stock dash.  I first get a message saying the disc is dirty, but if I then eject it and put it back in, it will then boot.  But this won't work if I have a blank drive plugged into the SATA/IDE adapter.

I have a couple of 128GB SSD's I can try, and I also have a 320GB spinning SATA disk.  I've tried setting these up with XBoxHDM however the 320GB never finishes the process, appears it might be too big.  The other 128GB SSD seemed to work and I could see files and partitions in the FTP server, but the box still won't boot from it through multiple bios's (bioi? :D)

Sorry for the noob questions.  Have searched for various answers and others having similar issues.  Will keep fiddling with it today.  Pouring with rain here this weekend so not much else to do!!!

I wouldn't use an RW. I would use a -R. I have the best luck with those. What options in the OGX installer are you using to set up the drive?

^I hadn't yet tried OGXbox Installer.  I had initially downloaded Hexen, and even Slayers Autoinstaller which would boot okay as long as it was done via ejecting/reinserting via the stock dash.  I'll download a copy of that now, though I think I might need to source a DVD-R and try that instead.  It's a Thomson Drive.

SATA IDE adapter - Imgur This is a picture of the cheapo Sata/IDE adapter.  I'm still happy to source a Startech which I can get on Amazon for $40 AUD, but I'll try and get this working first, considering they guy included it with the modchip and I didn't even ask!

If there's any combination of Cerbios Settings that I can try to get this adapter up and running I'll give them a go.   

EDIT also, the included IDE cable (also free!) was too short, I it does work if I hang the drives out of the xbox while working on it.  My plan would be that when I get a bigger drive up and running I'll probably just disconnect the DVD drive and only sit it in place and use with the lid off if needed.  

Edited by Mittyoz

35 minutes ago, Mittyoz said:

^I hadn't yet tried OGXbox Installer.  I had initially downloaded Hexen, and even Slayers Autoinstaller which would boot okay as long as it was done via ejecting/reinserting via the stock dash.  I'll download a copy of that now, though I think I might need to source a DVD-R and try that instead.  It's a Thomson Drive.

SATA IDE adapter - Imgur This is a picture of the cheapo Sata/IDE adapter.  I'm still happy to source a Startech which I can get on Amazon for $40 AUD, but I'll try and get this working first, considering they guy included it with the modchip and I didn't even ask!

If there's any combination of Cerbios Settings that I can try to get this adapter up and running I'll give them a go.   

EDIT also, the included IDE cable (also free!) was too short, I it does work if I hang the drives out of the xbox while working on it.  My plan would be that when I get a bigger drive up and running I'll probably just disconnect the DVD drive and only sit it in place and use with the lid off if needed.  

Cheapo adapters are always questionable. But if the MS Dash is loading then I think the adapter is working. I feel like the installers are maybe not installing the dash correctly for some reason?

This is why one of my tips is always : buy a startech. That way you know the adapter is not in question and that if you are having problems then you can rest assured that the cause is something else.

Also, use the IDE cable here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264927666468?hash=item3daeeb6124:g:fDoAAOSwYVZfNwU1

It's a perfect clone. 80 wire. Although the amazon ones here work well also, they're just wired upside down and backwards.

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-24-inches-80-Wire-3-Connectors-FI-U02/dp/B0B8RMS5CN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=80+wire+ide&qid=1698428053&sr=8-3

1 hour ago, Mittyoz said:

Usually if you flip the short cables around, it will be a tight fit but it will work.  The only option for the cerbios.ini file you will need to set is "DriveSetup = 0".  Jumper the adapter to master but if that doesn't work try cable select.  It may result in error 13 and if so it's likely not going to work properly.

25 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Usually if you flip the short cables around, it will be a tight fit but it will work.  The only option for the cerbios.ini file you will need to set is "DriveSetup = 0".  Jumper the adapter to master but if that doesn't work try cable select.  It may result in error 13 and if so it's likely not going to work properly.

Usually, anything other than stock cables does not respect Cable Select, since the cable has to be oriented properly in order for CS to work at all. I dunno what cable he has, but...

Yeah sadly because I'm in Australia the cost of shipping those ebay cables is more than double the cost of the actual cable (which seems ridiculous but anyway).  If I need to I'll try and source a local one.  The one I have does work (with the stock drives) just not the adapter I have.

When I said stock dash, it's running from the stock drive.  I haven't been able to get a SATA drive to boot via the adapter, though as I said I can see files via the XeniumOS interface. 

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order a startech, just trying to find the cheapest local one.

Sadly the free cheapo adapter is probably the issue here.

Will try juggling cables etc a bit more to see if it changes anything.

1 hour ago, Mittyoz said:

Yeah sadly because I'm in Australia the cost of shipping those ebay cables is more than double the cost of the actual cable (which seems ridiculous but anyway).  If I need to I'll try and source a local one.  The one I have does work (with the stock drives) just not the adapter I have.

When I said stock dash, it's running from the stock drive.  I haven't been able to get a SATA drive to boot via the adapter, though as I said I can see files via the XeniumOS interface. 

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order a startech, just trying to find the cheapest local one.

Sadly the free cheapo adapter is probably the issue here.

Will try juggling cables etc a bit more to see if it changes anything.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264927666468?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=PmV78DG2QwG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YA80bnobRsW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There ya go! :) Same thing but in the AU.

Unless you have a REALLY cheap ass cable I would say it isn't the cause. I would go for the sata adapter first.

Alternatively you could also try this with the adapter that @Raidernick posted yesterday that might make the cheap sata adapter function properly. He has a different branded adapter but they look to be built the same. If it worked it would save you some money. 

got more help from the cerbios discord. A user there told me that adding a 100ohm resistor to the R4 pad on this adapter will fix not only the speed but also the boot times. I added this resistor and the xbox now boots instantly(same as the startech) and UDMA5 works at full speed now (same as the startech). That makes these adapters basically as good as the startech with some very basic modification.”

20 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Alternatively you could also try this with the adapter that @Raidernick posted yesterday that might make the cheap sata adapter function properly. He has a different branded adapter but they look to be built the same. If it worked it would save you some money. 

got more help from the cerbios discord. A user there told me that adding a 100ohm resistor to the R4 pad on this adapter will fix not only the speed but also the boot times. I added this resistor and the xbox now boots instantly(same as the startech) and UDMA5 works at full speed now (same as the startech). That makes these adapters basically as good as the startech with some very basic modification.”

Well, the startech can do UDMA 6, but 5 is still pretty damn good.