OGXbox.com

1.4 with intermittent black screen

FrostyMaGee

I haven’t worked on this one in a week or so but I pulled it out last night to see what was up. Here’s what it does:

It will boot fine and run for hours with no issue. If you reboot or turn it off after a certain point you’ll get a solid green light but no video. It will recognize if you’ve pulled the av cable out but when you plug it back in there’s still no video. Once you get to the no video stage you can’t even make it frag. I pulled the dvd and hdd out both separately and together but nothing changed. It will boot to a game during this time though. 

The odd part is if I unplug it and let it sit for ten mins I’ll have video again until a reboot or shutdown. If I let it sit overnight it’ll work and you can even reboot or turn it off and on successfully for a bit. While it was working today I decided to do rocky5’s softmod. That worked fine as usual. I bring this up to note this. When it goes to the no video stage it won’t even boot far enough to the led to orange like rocky5’s softmod does. When it has video it does this fine. 

I’ve tested voltages, replaced cables, caps, etc. The problem still persists but I at least know more about it and can recreate the issue. Any thoughts? I’m leaning towards failing/bad bios. I’m curious if throwing a hard mod on it would remedy the issue. 

@Bowlsnapper this is that weird one you and I talked about briefly a couple of weeks ago. 

17 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I haven’t worked on this one in a week or so but I pulled it out last night to see what was up. Here’s what it does:

It will boot fine and run for hours with no issue. If you reboot or turn it off after a certain point you’ll get a solid green light but no video. It will recognize if you’ve pulled the av cable out but when you plug it back in there’s still no video. Once you get to the no video stage you can’t even make it frag. I pulled the dvd and hdd out both separately and together but nothing changed. It will boot to a game during this time though. 

The odd part is if I unplug it and let it sit for ten mins I’ll have video again until a reboot or shutdown. If I let it sit overnight it’ll work and you can even reboot or turn it off and on successfully for a bit. While it was working today I decided to do rocky5’s softmod. That worked fine as usual. I bring this up to note this. When it goes to the no video stage it won’t even boot far enough to the led to orange like rocky5’s softmod does. When it has video it does this fine. 

I’ve tested voltages, replaced cables, caps, etc. The problem still persists but I at least know more about it and can recreate the issue. Any thoughts? I’m leaning towards failing/bad bios. I’m curious if throwing a hard mod on it would remedy the issue. 

@Bowlsnapper this is that weird one you and I talked about briefly a couple of weeks ago. 

Sounds JUST like it. Partially corrupted TSOP. Coma Console. If it is, the LPC is your saving grace. Put in the Xblast, and it should start working fine.

37 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Sounds JUST like it. Partially corrupted TSOP. Coma Console. If it is, the LPC is your saving grace. Put in the Xblast, and it should start working fine.

It was throwing me off because it would randomly work. Lol. Finally I was able to recreate the issue consistently and also see exactly how far it wasn’t booting when the black screen happens. I’m going to throw that Xblast I got from you in it and see what happens. That’ll at least prove/disprove my theory on the bios anyway. Lol. I think it will fix it though. 

1 minute ago, FrostyMaGee said:

It was throwing me off because it would randomly work. Lol. Finally I was able to recreate the issue consistently and also see exactly how far it wasn’t booting when the black screen happens. I’m going to throw that Xblast I got from you in it and see what happens. That’ll at least prove/disprove my theory on the bios anyway. Lol. I think it will fix it though. 

That's what mine did. It would boot the bios once when persuaded, like unplugging the power supply and reinserting, and then not ever again until subtly pushed once more. :)

19 minutes ago, Marty said:

Has there been any work done on this console previously?

Not that I could see. Everything looked original with the exception of the massive amount of dust that permeated every space inside the xbox. The original ms dash was present and everything booted to the original (the times it would boot). The one thing I did see today was what looked like some remnants of where someone tried to softmod it long long ago and either failed or reverted back. It was just bits and pieces. Empty dirs and such on C that wouldn’t have been there had they not tried something old at one point. It’s always possible something they attempted there mucked it up. 

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I haven’t yet. I need to do it to see if that fixes the problem. As soon as I do I’ll definitely post an update. 

I was actually gonna ask that. I was wondering if maybe you had done it and I was just having a brain fart. Thank you for reminding me @Thairanny

It seems that this is going to be happening more and more as I am seeing it happen a LOT now. :(