OGXbox.com

my xbox 1.1 schows randomly blackscreen

herooftheday

Hi my xbox 1.1 schows randomly blackscreen while gaming.
I used Alladin knockoff with cerbios 2.3.1 udma4 on
I had to repair the A trace.

I tried Black, Futurama in cci
I am right now trying stubs as the files could that help?
the blackscreen only comes when playing a game.

edit2: stubz just froze

Edited by herooftheday

6 hours ago, herooftheday said:

Hi my xbox 1.1 schows randomly blackscreen while gaming.
I used Alladin knockoff with cerbios 2.3.1 udma4 on
I had to repair the A trace.

I tried Black, Futurama in cci
I am right now trying stubs as the files could that help?
the blackscreen only comes when playing a game.

edit2: stubz just froze

What are you using for video output?

HI
I use the HDmi to xbox adapter from bitfunz, it now does not show blackscreens now in outrun 2 it just freezes.

• I also mesured the power rail all good.
  • I looked it under the microscope sofar so good.
  • I switched my ide to sata adapter to another one.
  • tried cerbios without udma4
  • temps look normal around 50°C (also changed thermalpast)

Gruß
    Hero

3 hours ago, herooftheday said:

HI
I use the HDmi to xbox adapter from bitfunz, it now does not show blackscreens now in outrun 2 it just freezes.

• I also mesured the power rail all good.
  • I looked it under the microscope sofar so good.
  • I switched my ide to sata adapter to another one.
  • tried cerbios without udma4
  • temps look normal around 50°C (also changed thermalpast)

Gruß
    Hero

Some cheap analog to digital video adapters will exhibit this problem if capacitors in the console are not healthy. When I started using the pound it stopped. I was previously using an outboard component to HDMI adapter which was very cheap and it would do that, So that's why I asked. I would spring for a recap kit and replace the capacitors near the CPU. I think the power going to the CPU is probably unstable if I were to take a guess.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275648459500?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xoYngVoKTuO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=fufpvlb7r9u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• 2 weeks later...

HAVE YOU CHANGED OUT THE ORIGINAL THERMAL PASTE, sorry caps. because what killed my xbox v1.0 was i changed the themal paste, and somehow because i had put on too much it killed the cpu eventually. it also froze when it got to hot. what temps you got on your CPU in idle, under moderate load like video playback, and after a reset of console after a game?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, herooftheday said:

I found the isssue while pdoing my crystal xbox with xecuter 3 chip it was cerbios.
I flashed it to ind-bios and it works without any issues. 
now I have to redo my hdd for it 😔

both are PAL 1.1s

Cerbios is a good bios and this really shouldn't be necessary... But if it works for you...

• 3 weeks later...

I found the issue finally It was my TV but only on 1.0 and 1.1s.

I only tested it on this monitor when it did work again because of work I pushed it to the side:
the one with the x3 chip atleast, the one with ind bios also had issues on that monitor.
photo_2023-11-22_21-36-04.thumb.jpg.3fb38f9b57ab001e788200bdcff7da35.jpg

on my philips smart tv 75pus7608/12 it did not work with soundbar on and better without, but some games where not affected.

Edited by herooftheday
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:37 PM, herooftheday said:

I found the issue finally It was my TV but only on 1.0 and 1.1s.

I only tested it on this monitor when it did work again because of work I pushed it to the side:
the one with the x3 chip atleast, the one with ind bios also had issues on that monitor.
photo_2023-11-22_21-36-04.thumb.jpg.3fb38f9b57ab001e788200bdcff7da35.jpg

on my philips smart tv 75pus7608/12 it did not work with soundbar on and better without, but some games where not affected.

I really think that this is due to certain signals not getting amplified enough by the encoder of the HDMI adapter, which ends up being the last buffer in the A/V chain. This diminished output may be enough for some TV decoders (or whatever these are called) to run on, but not others. The threshold might be different among these. I think some HDMI encoders like the Pound just have cheap parts that start to fail and are pushed even farther by bad caps or whatever it is that goes bad and causes cutouts.

I WAS HERE!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

really think that this is due to certain signals not getting amplified enough by the encoder of the HDMI adapter, which ends up being the last buffer in the A/V chain. This diminished output may be enough for some TV decoders (or whatever these are called) to run on, but not others. The threshold might be different among these.

You might be right.
I may install a xbox hdmi inside just to test if it would fix it.

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I think some HDMI encoders like the Pound just have cheap parts that start to fail and are pushed even farther by bad caps or whatever it is that goes bad and causes cutouts.

I have 5 here 3 from bitfunx one from pound and one from hyperkin all have thew same issue but on the monitor aswell as my samsung sart tv no issue.

9 hours ago, herooftheday said:

You might be right.
I may install a xbox hdmi inside just to test if it would fix it.

I have 5 here 3 from bitfunx one from pound and one from hyperkin all have thew same issue but on the monitor aswell as my samsung sart tv no issue.

Something is starting to happen to these consoles that's causing these dropouts. I think it's several combinations of things in different degrees. One of them is probably the CPU caps.

Another thing that may be happening along with lack of signal strength is that there may be unstable clocking happening in the encoder circuits for one reason or another. Jitter, basically.

@KaosEngineer You have REAL electronics knowledge. Does my thinking make sense?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Something is starting to happen to these consoles that's causing these dropouts. I think it's several combinations of things in different degrees. One of them is probably the CPU caps.

all have been swapped with new ones so that is it not.

maybe other caps dieing as well cpu and the ones on the left have been replaced.

1 hour ago, herooftheday said:

all have been swapped with new ones so that is it not.

maybe other caps dieing as well cpu and the ones on the left have been replaced.

That's what I'm saying. I think several things contribute to the overall stability and output strength of the signal hitting the TV it's hooked up to. Things that go before the encoder chip on the motherboard, and any cheapness that comes after and hits the HDMI adapter, which converts from component out. I think it's a combination of things. The analog signal may be crap by the time it hits the HDMI adapter and then the adapter may have to deal with a subpar, starved or otherwise shitty signal and then if a Pound is dying, for example, it may introduce further problems by having dying parts or even just cheap parts and basically be the one that is cutting out because it cannot deal with the signal it is being fed, basically. I think we will figure out in time what is causing this crap, with people like @KaosEngineer running into it repeatedly. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. 

I think that if an internal HDMI encoder fixes the problem, it's because you are bypassing the HDMI adapter which does not have to deal with an analog signal it cannot really use, in that instance.

I think that things like SMD resistors and caps going bad around the encoder chip or their places in the AV chain BESIDES the CPU caps may be responsible also. I think these motherboards are going to start experiencing a lot of problems like this in the future... Even though SMD parts seem to last longer on average, I think they are starting to go too. :(

• Like 1