OGXbox.com

Legit OG Aladdin XT LCD support

ModzvilleUSA

I have what appears to be a legit Aladdin XT 4032 here. 

The silkscreen on the right seems to suggest that this supports wiring up an LCD. 

image.png.c862c6b5190e14b844e8cd0bee531390.png

The 4064 revision also seems to have potentiometer for dialing in the brightness. 

image.png.d0e07251848441c2341e6689c67468dd.png

Those pads still exist on modern aladdin clones but there's no traces there. 

Does anyone have any experience with wiring up an lcd to one of these or know of any documentation?

I plan to tinker with it this week. 

7 hours ago, ModzvilleUSA said:

I have what appears to be a legit Aladdin XT 4032 here. 

The silkscreen on the right seems to suggest that this supports wiring up an LCD. 

image.png.c862c6b5190e14b844e8cd0bee531390.png

The 4064 revision also seems to have potentiometer for dialing in the brightness. 

image.png.d0e07251848441c2341e6689c67468dd.png

Those pads still exist on modern aladdin clones but there's no traces there. 

Does anyone have any experience with wiring up an lcd to one of these or know of any documentation?

I plan to tinker with it this week. 

Looks like there's a brightness/backlighting pot right next to those contacts also. (oh, you said that) I would say yes, but I don't know if I've ever seen an LCD hooked up to an Aladdin in my life.

Stuff like this is all I could find.

Not possible. The one with LCD support use a LC4064. So even you add the pot nothing will happen. 

And if you use Ryzee's AladdinLCD (which will work if you mod the chip slightly (See he pic of a mod I made using a XenoFX which is the original (All aladdins are clones)) you lose the bios function (So you would need a TSOP flash). 

IMG20230403164720.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Not possible. The one with LCD support use a LC4064. So even you add the pot nothing will happen. 

And if you use Ryzee's AladdinLCD (which will work if you mod the chip slightly (See he pic of a mod I made using a XenoFX which is the original (All aladdins are clones)) you lose the bios function (So you would need a TSOP flash). 

IMG20230403164720.jpg

That's what I read, is that both devices have to occupy the bus, since the LCD device becomes unusable as a flash device. I guess the CPLD is tied up with LCD duties.

Thanks for the insight! I was aware of ryzee's project which could be neat in a 1.0 or 1.1 split tsop build. 

if anyone has an Old 4064 aladdin they want to sell let me know, I think it's neat these had native lcd support for a brief moment. 

Did the xenoFX have a revision that added the lcd support? The pads are all there and labeled on yours. 

The aladdin pcb I have here looks like an exact clone of your xenofx. 

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The Aladdin chips are clones of the XenoFX chips. And yes, there is also a version of the XenoFX with LC4064 chip on it called AXT Xenochip Pro. The one showed in the pic above the AXT32 Xenochip lite

Zwischenablage01.png

I actually didn't know that the Aladdin was a clone of another chip... and there are clones of this clone! Mind blown...

That bottom line there is confusing. They take issue with people calling their products Aladdin XT but not Aladdin. Did XenoFX make a product called Aladdin XT?

The chip I have here does use Gold plating as mentioned here. By those standards I suppose this was made by xenofx unless the cloners started producing these with gold immersion later down the line. I've heard tale that the d0 wonkiness on modern aladdins is related to the Pcbs which I'm inclined to believe at this point. Need to test in more revisions to fully confirm. 

image.png.823d5fccc4243d245fafbc1fa1af4142.png

I did some tests on my 1.3 and flashed the xblast cpld, wired up d0 and it didn't have any issues with wonky booting.