OGXbox.com

Recapped, TSOPed 1.2 Xbox, won't boot from DVD with new HDD

suti

OK, new modder confused here. I've been spending my time fixing up dead and half dead boxes, and thought I'd see how setting up a new hard drive works with a hardmodded console.

I used the OG Xbox Install disc to TSOP to Evox m8+ nodvd, wiped the stock HDD and installed UnleashX and the default apps, and it boots fine. However, now when I swap a different drive to set up (either a 10GB drive from another Xbox, or a WD 80GB drive) the box fails to boot from DVD. I've tried with two different DVD drives, but it's always the same... even the seeking sound the optical drives make are the same (they keep going forever in an identical repeating "pattern" until I switch the console off - no, not impatient, waited for 5-10 minutes). When I switch back to the original HDD, the system boots up fine from it, and also boots from the DVD drive - and the DVD drive sounds "healthy" again compared to previous attempts.

I tried powering the bigger new HDD with an external power supply, since I noticed it was pulling more power on the 12V rail (thinking maybe the old PSU is just at its end), but this makes no difference. I've also tried jumpering the drive to cable select and master+slave, but still nothing.

The original drive is a Seagate, both replacements were WD.

Is there something I've overlooked?

13 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Did you get any error massage with the 10/80GB HDD`s? Maybe they are locked to a different XBox? 

Without a DVD I get error 16, at least with the 80GB HDDs (just tried a Maxtor one as well - same issue). I assumed this doesn't matter, because they are not set up yet, and the main issue is getting the actual DVD to boot so I can set the drives up. The 10GB drive is locked to a different box, however.

Edit: With the disc in the DVD drive, there is no error, the console is just stuck at the bios logo trying to indefinitely access the disc (or kill the DVD drive:)

Edited by suti

For the 10GB. Unlock the drive on the original XBox it came from. If thats not possible you could unlock the drive on the PC. If that not possible, toss the drive. 

For the 80/100GB HDD's, the jumper is on master? As long as the drive are not locked and set to master they should boot. 

One thing you could try is to flash Cerbios to your XBox and see if it will give you more specific error masseage on the 80/100GB drives. 

And the Installer should detect a new hdd and should provide an option to write a partition table to it before the the installer boot. 

One other option is, to use an old Slayers DVD/CD and see if the XBox will boot and then - if Slayers boots, the drives shows up as 0MB free (in that case the HDD is probaly looked and you cant do anything with slayers) OR if they show there is space left then you could set it up with slayers as a first step. 

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

For the 10GB. Unlock the drive on the original XBox it came from. If thats not possible you could unlock the drive on the PC. If that not possible, toss the drive. 

For the 80/100GB HDD's, the jumper is on master? As long as the drive are not locked and set to master they should boot. 

One thing you could try is to flash Cerbios to your XBox and see if it will give you more specific error masseage on the 80/100GB drives. 

And the Installer should detect a new hdd and should provide an option to write a partition table to it before the the installer boot. 

One other option is, to use an old Slayers DVD/CD and see if the XBox will boot and then - if Slayers boots, the drives shows up as 0MB free (in that case the HDD is probaly looked and you cant do anything with slayers) OR if they show there is space left then you could set it up with slayers as a first step. 

I was unaware that Slayers ignores HDD locking. That may be useful in the future. :) 

I had problems with HDD's not accepting the OGXbox installer disc when not preformatted first. Once I formatted with fatxplorer, OGXbox installer would boot its BFM. 

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I wrote that in a previus post of yours. So let me answer it with a quote from you (Just because it's funny). 

Yeah that's... really funny, Sweet. Good one...

I went back to read and you indeed did say that. Unfortunately I skipped that part.

However, my quote still stands because you made a senselessly sarcastic response in my thread and I rightfully said that you needed to pay attention more closely since the premise of your post was total bullshit. Maybe keep the flaming in PMs instead of going out of your way to make me look like an idiot in front of people. Anybody can do that to anybody. Try to act like a normal person. You're the only one doing it. Knock it off dude. lol.

So back to YOUR thread suti, before I was pointlessly ridiculed. lmao. Sorry sweet, didn't mean to step on your toes there and actually reply in the thread you're trying to help a guy in. Hope I don't make him destroy his xbox. lol.