OGXbox.com

Cheapmod Mini - a brand-new Cheapmod-based modchip for the OG Xbox

SylverReZ

cheapmod-mini-logo-png.383715
cheapmod_mini-png.384396

The Cheapmod Mini is a modchip in a small form-factor for the Original Xbox. Based off the Cheapmod schematics, the chip comprises of a single 49LF020 (256k) LPC flash to fit (1 x 256k) custom BIOS.

Features:

• 256k LPC flash fitted for (1x256k) custom BIOS (e.g. Cerbios).
  • Compatible with almost any Xbox revision - from 1.0 to 1.6b.
  • Boot imports, backups and DVDs region free without any restrictions.
  • Running unsigned code such as homebrew and multimedia players.
  • Installation of a custom dashboard (e.g. UnleashX).
  • Easy to upgrade the HDD (no HDD locking required).
  • Very easy to install - just plug-and-play via pin header.
  • Low-cost and affordable.
  • Free and open-source.

GitHub repository: https://github.com/m4x10187/cheapmod-mini

Dude, that is exactly how I would make a site. And I'm going to: bowlsnapper.com. I already registered the domain. Just don't know what to use to build it... How did you get ANYTHING you could use today to build a website to build in that fashion? I don't really know web development... Lol

I didn't know that you basically made the chip. Fuckin cool. How hard would it be to add a flash socked to the we can just drop the sst into our programmers?

• Like 1

Just now, Bowlsnapper said:

You used a program from that actual era? Holy shit. I have some questions to PM you, mainly concerning html5 and ssl2. :) But first I have to respond to you last message... Which I Never DID! 😡

I haven't learned HTML in over 2 years. Its a WYSWYG designer, so any changes made will be shown.

1 minute ago, SylverReZ said:

I haven't learned HTML in over 2 years. Its a WYSWYG designer, so any changes made will be shown.

Wooooow. That's the only kind I ever used. So you design it by hand and it generates the code, which you can modify if you choose... Sooooo sick! Geocities as FUCK! :)

I apologize.... May your thread continue!

Just now, Dtomcat18 said:

That adds cost….   If you add the socket.. then it becomes “not as cheapmod”

Exactly! Cost is still involved if you are purchasing a PLCC-32 SMD socket, especially getting ahold of the 49LF020 chips. I had to get them off eBay (old stock ofc) since they no longer manufacturer them, all that is available are a bunch of clones even some of them are resurfaced 49LF020/A/Bs which do not work with this chip.

Just now, SylverReZ said:

Exactly! Cost is still involved if you are purchasing a PLCC-32 SMD socket, especially getting ahold of the 49LF020 chips. I had to get them off eBay (old stock ofc) since they no longer manufacturer them, all that is available are a bunch of clones even some of them are resurfaced 49LF020/A/Bs which do not work with this chip.

I still consider it low-cost however, since there's no advanced circuitry involved such as CPLDs and FPGAs. I am looking to one day develop some form of Aladdin clone which doesn't involve 'cheapmods' so to speak.

26 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

How can I program the chip?

Flashing utilities already exists, plenty are out there. Evolution-X or the OGXbox Installer disc, XBlast, or using an external programmer, is the way to program these chips either prior to building your own or having them internally installed.

Edited by SylverReZ

20 minutes ago, SylverReZ said:

Flashing utilities already exists, plenty are out there. Evolution-X or the OGXbox Installer disc, XBlast, or using an external programmer, is the way to program these chips either prior to building your own or having them internally installed.

This was something I really wanted to do, especially since this was my first BIG circuit board project. You'll so love it for real. :D

Edited by SylverReZ

6 minutes ago, SylverReZ said:

Either like the chip or not, this was something I really wanted to do, especially since this was my first BIG circuit board project. So give this project a chance, would you. Keep on playing with your Xeniums and Aladdins. :D

Dude I'm down for a chip if it's cheap enough. I always prefer a chip to a TSOP. Just making sure I have a full understanding of its workings. That's all. I'm not disparaging it at all. Hell I wanna design a modchip... It would be hella complicated and more intricate but that wasn't your goal. You accomplished it. I'm proud, dude! :)

• 2 weeks later...