OGXbox.com

DVD2Xbox hangs - Is my DVD drive dying?

Twilight

So after I finally replaced the HDD with 1TB one, I've been trying to rip the games I have to ISO files using DVD2Xbox. The issue is that after around 10% to 15% the process hangs and the drive starts making weird noises, at which point I just shut it down cause I was afraid maybe it was causing damage.

Anyway this has happened with 3 different discs already and I did not see any visible scratches. Is my DVD drive dying? (The Xbox is revision 1.2, softmodded with Rocky5 and the drive is a Samsung).

I thought about using a DVD cleaner disc, which some people said works great while others said it does more harm than good. Anyone has any experience with those?

Also, I'm really not good with messing around with hardware. It was already difficult enough to replace the HDD (I actually managed to tear an IDE cable) so I'm not very enthusiastic about taking the DVD drive apart to manually clean the laser. I thought about maybe just replacing the drive altogether. I found this one on eBay:

Samsung SD-616 IDE 16x DVD CD-ROM Drive (48xCD-ROM, 2001) | eBay

The image says revision F, so I assume I can flash it with Xbox firmware and it'll work? Although I'm a bit concerned that some sellers have a large stock and not all of them might be the same revision. Anyone has any experience?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

Now that you have soft modded the Xbox why not go the hole hog and add the two links to the mainboard and re-flash the bios chip .

1877068435_TSOPlink.jpg.e31fca8c3e1841953018509b87abc02e.jpg

Even of you can't solder you can use conductive paint to link the 2 points.

Once you have done that you can use Fatxplorer V3.0 beta to format the HDD and install a dash that will work in the Xbox, The you can load the HDD with backup games from the interweb. As an example it will take around 3-4 days to FTP enough to fill a 2tb and under a day to do that on a PC, I dread to think how long to copy from your game disks.

Tring to copy from a DVD drive always going to be a problem with a 20 year old DVD drive.

Here is a tutorial on using Fatxplorer

https://www.hazeno.com/og-xbox-hdd-2tb-and-under

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

So after I finally replaced the HDD with 1TB one, I've been trying to rip the games I have to ISO files using DVD2Xbox. The issue is that after around 10% to 15% the process hangs and the drive starts making weird noises, at which point I just shut it down cause I was afraid maybe it was causing damage.

Anyway this has happened with 3 different discs already and I did not see any visible scratches. Is my DVD drive dying? (The Xbox is revision 1.2, softmodded with Rocky5 and the drive is a Samsung).

I thought about using a DVD cleaner disc, which some people said works great while others said it does more harm than good. Anyone has any experience with those?

Also, I'm really not good with messing around with hardware. It was already difficult enough to replace the HDD (I actually managed to tear an IDE cable) so I'm not very enthusiastic about taking the DVD drive apart to manually clean the laser. I thought about maybe just replacing the drive altogether. I found this one on eBay:

Samsung SD-616 IDE 16x DVD CD-ROM Drive (48xCD-ROM, 2001) | eBay

The image says revision F, so I assume I can flash it with Xbox firmware and it'll work? Although I'm a bit concerned that some sellers have a large stock and not all of them might be the same revision. Anyone has any experience?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

The old tutorials mention the drive must be Rev T or F.  I see one of the eBay listings that says Rev. B. From what I've read from the old tutorials this Rev. B version may not work.  

I think the Rev. F version you found should; however, is the picture for the listing the exact model of drive you will receive ???.  It may not be if they have several and just pick one out a large batch of drives they have available.  Verify with the seller that the model pictured is the drive model you will receive.

Link to the old xbox-scene.com website's Wayback Machine archived DVD Drive modification web page:

Xbox Hardware Addons/Modifications Guides > DVD-drive modifications

Link to one of the many Samsung drive modification tutorials listed there:

Detailed Samsung SD-616T or SD-616F drive replacement tutorial

The SD-616T or F do not fit inside the Xbox without, what I consider, major modifications being made inside the Xbox case:

Making Your Modded SD-616F/T Fit Inside The Xbox Case

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Now that you have soft modded the Xbox why not go the hole hog and add the two links to the mainboard and re-flash the bios chip .

1877068435_TSOPlink.jpg.e31fca8c3e1841953018509b87abc02e.jpg

Even of you can't solder you can use conductive paint to link the 2 points.

Once you have done that you can use Fatxplorer V3.0 beta to format the HDD and install a dash that will work in the Xbox, The you can load the HDD with backup games from the interweb. As an example it will take around 3-4 days to FTP enough to fill a 2tb and under a day to do that on a PC, I dread to think how long to copy from your game disks.

Tring to copy from a DVD drive always going to be a problem with a 20 year old DVD drive.

Here is a tutorial on using Fatxplorer

https://www.hazeno.com/og-xbox-hdd-2tb-and-under

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

As I said I already took it apart once so I'm anything but thrilled about taking it apart again. Just for the sake of things - Why would I need a different BIOS? Seems that FATXplorer V3.0 beta can unlock the drive, so isn't that enough?

Also if I understand you correctly do you believe I should just download ISOs of games I already have on disc?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The old tutorials mention the drive must be Rev T or F.  I see one of the eBay listings that says Rev. B. From what I've read from the old tutorials this Rev. B version may not work.  

I think the Rev. F version you found should; however, is the picture for the listing the exact model of drive you will receive ???.  It may not be if they have several and just pick one out a large batch of drives they have available.  Verify with the seller that the model pictured is the drive model you will receive.

Link to the old xbox-scene.com website's Wayback Machine archived DVD Drive modification web page:

Xbox Hardware Addons/Modifications Guides > DVD-drive modifications

Link to one of the many Samsung drive modification tutorials listed there:

Detailed Samsung SD-616T or SD-616F drive replacement tutorial

The SD-616T or F do not fit inside the Xbox without, what I consider, major modifications being made inside the Xbox case:

Making Your Modded SD-616F/T Fit Inside The Xbox Case

Ugh, I won't risk breaking the Xbox for that. Guess that option's out the window. And like you said, even if I bought it I can't know whether the drive I'd get would really be Rev F or whatever the seller happens to have around.

Sorry that I'm asking noob questions. I'm new to Xbox and got it 2nd hand just a couple of months ago. I only had Sony before.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

As I said I already took it apart once so I'm anything but thrilled about taking it apart again. Just for the sake of things - Why would I need a different BIOS? Seems that FATXplorer V3.0 beta can unlock the drive, so isn't that enough?

Thanks.

Yes it can but you are going to pull  the Xbox apart again why not re-flash the bios and never need to lock a hard drive again. Also with  the cerbios you can easily use a compressed file system and then if your keen fit the entire US game collection on a 2tb hard drive, The cerbios supports UDMA4,5,6 IDE data speeds compared to UDMA2 (this alone should be a good enough reason to not use a soft mod) this equates to faster booting and smoother game play.

Having a hard modded system makes for a easy hard drive upgrade to larger HDD if you ever run out of storage ( up to 2 X 16tb hard drives)

UDMA-bus-speeds.jpg

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Also if I understand you correctly do you believe I should just download ISOs of games I already have on disc?

Yes and I understand you are allowed to have a backup copy of a game if you own the original disk.

As I said the DVD drives are all failing due to age and in time even the DVD disks are going to fail.

Cheers

SS Dave