OGXbox.com

Coma Console Revived Using Modchip!

Bowlsnapper

So I was working on my Halo Edition 1.4 board and was trying to test my XBlast from @Dtomcat18 so I could make sure for my own diagnostic peace of mind that it wasn't the problem. I must have reflowed my pin header soldering 5 times. I didn't think it was the issue... I put it in my black coma console (that I got my 1st Halo console's 1.6 board from, but now contained the 1.4 that was in... One of my Halo consoles. I don't remember which.) Coma board was a 1.4. Soldered the TSOP in 5 minutes. Used the chip's D0. Light glowed green on the first try. I was like, okay the chip is good. However it was still booting one time out of ten (usually after being plugged into mains) like a typical bitch-ass coma board, and when it did, it was booting to the stock bios. So I was like, "Okay, this chip is getting power, but the LPC is not being hit up for a bios." So I decided to try to ground D0. BAM. Booted to XBlastOS... Repeatedly. The coma was gone! 

PXL_20230630_065217807.jpg

PXL_20230630_065943347.jpg

So I decided to try to complete the next logical step and flash Cerbios. No problem!

Don't know what's up with safe mode. Mighta been a UDMA 6 boot on accident... But it's the only god damn picture I have. It's a stock drive, so I settled on UDMA 2. Oops... Again. Gotta watch that habit. Not everything has a sata drive in it. :)

PXL_20230630_071608828.jpg

So I said, "I'm gonna move this over to the Halo case so it can be done and look pretty." So I did.

I would never run EvolutionX at this point. I use XBMC. But I just did it for nostalgia. I'll throw an Origins clone in here and clear out C and E with the installer. That Origins UI is for fuckin noobs. Doesn't even have the MS dash! Another Halo Console rescued... Sorta. :) 

If you have a coma console, meaning it boots to a black screen and doesn't frag (but in fact has a solid green front panel light), just install a chip and it should work. Your TSOP is either failing or the onboard bios is corrupt. Bypass it. :)

PXL_20230701_073734065.jpg

PXL_20230701_073755053.jpg

PXL_20230701_073815317.jpg

10 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I have no clue. If D0 doesn’t work on any console… it’s possible it’s the chip.  I doubt it… but possible 

The D0 is soldered fine to the mobo via. When it was wired to the chip, the chip wouldn't boot. As soon as I grounded, it started working... Maybe the XBlast needs a different D0 point on the mobo?

3 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I should say… I doubt the d0 point would fail… but if it’s all consoles… it could be.  My test rig just has d0 grounded so I don’t have to solder on new boards 

I hate the wire too. Just out of principle. I don't want my chip to be leashed, man!

1 minute ago, Dtomcat18 said:

So d0 doesn’t work on any console?

I didn't really get a chance to test it with anything other than the board with the fucked LPC and the board I settled on. I was gonna try it in my 1st Halo console, but I didn't wanna take it apart at this point and start soldering D0 shit. It's a 1.6 anyway, so it's not a direct comparison. I'd be using Lframe...

9 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Ah ok.  So might not be the board then :7_sweat_smile:    All others boards are good (so far). Hoping you didn’t get a bad egg.   But agree more testing would be needed.  Hard to trust a bad board.  But shouldn’t need a separate d0 point 

Okay.

I'll let that TSOP go. It's a nice console and seems to be working fine. Green light on the chip looks beautiful in that case. I'm gonna try to start building chips so I'll need your help sourcing parts for that, if you don't mind. :) Xblasts are fine to start with. Nothing wrong with that thing at all. I like that chip. I'd like to move on to openXenium chips, though. Since those are the shit! I want to flash or solder the TSOP in my black console, solder 128MB of RAM and turn it into a Devkit. Just cuz! I need 0.5mm pitch soldering practice. What better time than now?:)

THEN I'll do RAM AND a CPU upgrade... I need to get an IR reflow machine for that. and a bunch of materials and tools.

Flux… and better iron. MUSTS.  I found a microscope helped immensely with OXs.  Any magnification should do.  And much practice.  Parts for OXs are EXPENSIVE if buying new.  (Highly recommended if selling). Flash is hard to come by.   Definitely find someone in same package/pitch that’s much cheaper to practice.  Oh and GOOD solder wick will be needed to 

• Thanks 1

Get a feeling of how the solder flows and how much to put on tip (hint: not much at all.  Like almost none). Learn how to drag solder to spread it and remove bridges by swiping (and flux).  Once you have that… and only then…. Try on expensive components:)

That CPLD is VERY expensive. That scares me. No breaks for quantity, either. I can't buy the CPLD yet, because I'm waiting for my first burst of cash. I'll have it next week or so. Hopefully it's still in stock by then. I'll keep an eye on your first link.

Thank you for the tips. I'm aware of the drag method, just have to practice it. :) What would you recommend for magnification?

I can only recommend what I’ve used.  (Microscope).  But I’m sites others have used less (jewelers loupe, magnifying glass, cheap electronic microscope, etc).  I’ll link to what I have… but it’s top notch ish and prepare for sticker shock