OGXbox.com

looking to replace the HDD once softmodded

fizdog

let me start out by saying recently ive been wanting an OG Xbox to mod. last friday at work(im a trash man) a resident was throwing one out. took it home and the inside out looks like it was hardly used. i got all the parts to mod except i'm still waiting on the game. I had bought it but amazon or whoever the seller was sent me the ps2 version when clearly the picture said xbox. anyway, i did some research on replacing the HDD. I know i would need the SATA to IDE. do i plug that into the board? i was thinking at least 1 or 2tb drive. which one is known to work in an og xbox so i'm not buying the wrong one? Thanks in advance

2TB HDD, CMR not SMR. CMR are more reliable and faster.

IDE to sata adapter

80pin ide cable, if you use cheap ide to sata adapter.

thats what you need.

Better buy more expensive ide to sata adapter, so you could use stock IDE cable, because routing 80pin cable is tricky and buying separate 80pin cable likely equalize  price difference.

Link to more expensive adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Drive-Optical-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00EOJNGC2

Link to 2TB CMR HDD:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Purple-WD22PURZ-Drive

You have everything for softmod?

33 minutes ago, fizdog said:

let me start out by saying recently ive been wanting an OG Xbox to mod. last friday at work(im a trash man) a resident was throwing one out. took it home and the inside out looks like it was hardly used. i got all the parts to mod except i'm still waiting on the game. I had bought it but amazon or whoever the seller was sent me the ps2 version when clearly the picture said xbox. anyway, i did some research on replacing the HDD. I know i would need the SATA to IDE. do i plug that into the board? i was thinking at least 1 or 2tb drive. which one is known to work in an og xbox so i'm not buying the wrong one? Thanks in advance

Please don't softmod your Xbox... If you don't have to. Only if you must. Chipping is so much more flexible and easier to deal with. Softmodding comes with a lot of problems that wouldn't exist if you had a chip.

Just install the chip, put in the HDD put the installer disc in the drive, and you're DONE. No swapping anything or stupid bullcrap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Please don't softmod your Xbox... If you don't have to. Only if you must. Chipping is so much more flexible and easier to deal with. Softmodding comes with a lot of problems that wouldn't exist if you had a chip.

Just install the chip, put in the HDD put the installer disc in the drive, and you're DONE. No swapping anything or stupid bullcrap.

Only benefit for hardmod is bios that supports more than 2TB and no requirement for HDD key.

hardmoding can go FUBAR pretty easy, since you need to solder pin header, you can accidentally plug modchip the wrong way. Considering extra costs for one time setup, modchip is meh.

Modchip is for tinkering enthusiast.

Personally i use softmod and I happy the way it is. Rockys5 softmod is wrongly setup, some features like virtual eeprom don't work, so SID 5.12 is the way.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, prtscn said:

Only benefit for hardmod is bios that supports more than 2TB and no requirement for HDD key.

hardmoding can go FUBAR pretty easy, since you need to solder pin header, you can accidentally plug modchip the wrong way. Considering extra costs for one time setup, modchip is meh.

Modchip is for tinkering enthusiast.

Personally i use softmod and I happy the way it is. Rockys5 softmod is wrongly setup, some features like virtual eeprom don't work, so SID 5.12 is the way.

yeah man. i know 0 about soldering stuff and knowing me even with a tutorial video id still mess it up some how

42 minutes ago, prtscn said:

2TB HDD, CMR not SMR. CMR are more reliable and faster.

IDE to sata adapter

80pin ide cable, if you use cheap ide to sata adapter.

thats what you need.

Better buy more expensive ide to sata adapter, so you could use stock IDE cable, because routing 80pin cable is tricky and buying separate 80pin cable likely equalize  price difference.

Link to more expensive adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Drive-Optical-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00EOJNGC2

Link to 2TB CMR HDD:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Purple-WD22PURZ-Drive

You have everything for softmod?

yeah i was reading about the 80pin. thanks for the info on still being about to use  stock ide cable.

I have the controller connector to female usb connector, a USB stick that works with the xbox and like i stated above, i had bought the game off amazon that i needed it said xbox in the picture but when i got it yesterday it was the ps2 one. so i reordered it off eBay and waiting for it to ship and get here. once it gets here i'm modding it and will buy the 2 items in your post. thanks everyone for the info

42 minutes ago, prtscn said:

30 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I have the same feeling about soft modded

It's a onboard bios re-flash or mod chip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fizdog said:

yeah man. i know 0 about soldering stuff and knowing me even with a tutorial video id still mess it up some how

If the board is a 1.0 to 1.4 then you can use conductive paint instead of solder to link the two write enable points.

The it a thread here that has the files you need to re-flash the onboard bios with out preforming a softmod 1st then once you have successfully re-flashed the on board bios then you can use Fatxplorer V3.0 beta to format and install the files needed to drop the new drive in to the Xbox and it will boot.

As an example it takes around 3 to 4 days to fill a 2tb drive with games via FTP and well under a day to do the same with Fatxploer V3.0 Beta

Here is a tutorial on using Fatxplorer

https://www.hazeno.com/ogxbox-large-hdd-cerbios

https://www.hazeno.com/og-xbox-hdd-2tb-and-under

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

If the board is a 1.0 to 1.4 then you can use conductive paint instead of solder to link the two write enable points.

The it a thread here that has the files you need to re-flash the onboard bios with out preforming a softmod 1st then once you have successfully re-flashed the on board bios then you can use Fatxplorer V3.0 beta to format and install the files needed to drop the new drive in to the Xbox and it will boot.

As an example it takes around 3 to 4 days to fill a 2tb drive with games via FTP and well under to do the same with Fatxploer V3.0 Beta

Here is a tutorial on using Fatxplorer

https://www.hazeno.com/ogxbox-large-hdd-cerbios

https://www.hazeno.com/og-xbox-hdd-2tb-and-under

Cheers

SS Dave

There it is :) If you can do a softmod, you can do a TSOP (onboard bios chip) flash. Conductive paint is cake. You just write it onto the board. Do it man. :) Then you're legitimately modded with no soldering or chip buying. :)

• Like 1