OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.xx SneakPeak!

NeMesiS

yeah I was surprised to tbh, its like 10C less than stock cooling at stock speed. Also my readings where not 100% real time because to see the temps after a game I must do a IGR to dash, that takes some time where the console can cool a little bit extra. If we would set the stock fan to 100% we would get better temps to but it would be like a jet plane taking off.

A better test would be someone that can read the temps while ingame.

Edited by Dempsey_86

21 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

yeah I was surprised to tbh, its like 10C less than stock cooling at stock speed. Also my readings where not 100% real time because to see the temps after a game I must do a IGR to dash, that takes some time where the console can cool a little bit extra. If we would set the stock fan to 100% we would get better temps to but it would be like a jet plane taking off.

A better test would be someone that can read the temps while ingame.

That probably requires debugging since the code is not part of the software...

I believe psychochewbaca did release an Aladdin XT CPLD redo that can work solely as an LCD chip only, requires a TSOP flash on the motherboard also as the Aladdin takes up the LPC data bus for the LCD.

Whether that LCD screen output includes the temps, it may well do. Just need to reprogram the Lattice CPLD and make whatever connections etc was in the guide. It will be in his repo with details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trencherfield said:

An openxenium with the Spi2par2019 fitted to an LCD can do this.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/spi2par2019

ingame_temp.jpg

Well... I've mentioned in the past that I would like to do a PWM (and FLK) fan controller to complement the dual fan caddy. The SPI2PAR would be a great place to start for this project as it has all the I2C side of things there along with the addresses for the CPU, MB and Fan. As I would like for this to be a standalone mod, I would do without all the Xenium SPI stuff. I would like for the PWM fan controller to change fan speeds on the fly by continuously checking temps via I2C, kinda like how XBMC can control the fan whilst at the dashboard. And of course, we could add small OLED display to the caddy somewhere (or externally) to show temps and fan speed much like your image above.

EDIT: Would love it if someone had a fog machine so we could visually see what the air flow is like within a console, maybe one with a crystal lid without the shielding. I know this is asking alot so I wouldn't expect anyone to actually do this. Something I would like to do myself when I have the spare time.

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1

AIL4fc9qv4qlIc-6wV9kYSEWcJNT4qlB_9VLoQ13

Components and PCB's for the programmer arrived Wednesday and Thursday.
Managed to assemble 18 of them for now, many of which will be given out along with test kits for the XeniumICE modchip and XeniumHD+ HDMI mod when they are ready to be sent out. I made some final changes for the final revision including rerouting the traces for the LEDs and adding a USB type-A port for a power source, as I don't like the micro USB ports on the RPi Zero as I almost broke one off already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

EDIT: Would love it if someone had a fog machine so we could visually see what the air flow is like within a console, maybe one with a crystal lid without the shielding. I know this is asking alot so I wouldn't expect anyone to actually do this. Something I would like to do myself when I have the spare time.

or a heavy smoker haha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

or a heavy smoker haha

LoL... Maybe even a handful of incense sticks could do it...

AIL4fc8kP-DWWnNVF4009aMaFU4bwOPqWwB6NUnW

I've started compiling the test kits with the hardware that I've completed so far,
I'm hoping to send around 10 to 12 of these out to testers.

I made quite a bit of progress in revising the schematic and PCB for the HDMI mod.
It's more of less complete but I wanted to take the weekend off to give me a bit of time
to think of any other changes I might want to make before ordering another batch.

I've had a really stressful week but all is fine now...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Well... I've mentioned in the past that I would like to do a PWM (and FLK) fan controller to complement the dual fan caddy. The SPI2PAR would be a great place to start for this project as it has all the I2C side of things there along with the addresses for the CPU, MB and Fan. As I would like for this to be a standalone mod, I would do without all the Xenium SPI stuff. I would like for the PWM fan controller to change fan speeds on the fly by continuously checking temps via I2C, kinda like how XBMC can control the fan whilst at the dashboard. And of course, we could add small OLED display to the caddy somewhere (or externally) to show temps and fan speed much like your image above.

Quite probably, the simple spi2par2019 onto a Pro Micro alone, connected to the SMB, without the Openxenium SPi connected, will still show the in game temps, game playing and fan. I don't think the Xenium Spi is required there.

You can probably thereby, as I have done for an OLED, meddle with the code in Arduino ISE and just utilise that with a Pro Micro quite simply and pull in the registers you want to display.

Looks like an easy starting point.

--------------------------

Looks like the Aladdin XT LCD conversion just runs as a Smartxx LCD, so will probably go blank in game like the others.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/AladdinLCD

https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/workspace/repositories/

12 hours ago, trencherfield said:

Quite probably, the simple spi2par2019 onto a Pro Micro alone, connected to the SMB, without the Openxenium SPi connected, will still show the in game temps, game playing and fan. I don't think the Xenium Spi is required there.

You can probably thereby, as I have done for an OLED, meddle with the code in Arduino ISE and just utilise that with a Pro Micro quite simply and pull in the registers you want to display.

Looks like an easy starting point.

--------------------------

Looks like the Aladdin XT LCD conversion just runs as a Smartxx LCD, so will probably go blank in game like the others.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/AladdinLCD

https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/workspace/repositories/

Yea exactly...

Probably wouldn't even waste my time cleaning up the code to remove SPI and just leave it as is. Add an algorithm to adjust fan speed according to the CPU temp. Have a minimum fan speed of 10% for temps of 40c and below (idle), slowly ramping up to 100% for temps of 55c and above. Say if the temp is 48c then the fan speed should be around 45 to 50% as for example. I was thinking the fans should ramp up in a non-linear fashion much like the below graph, thoughts?

AIL4fc-o0g14pFewZIshQY7MUFyrm_ioxvd89-8G

Edited by NeMesiS

AIL4fc_gfDAPydgAlkqmDRX_Y6VHVtGckvN1CGo4

LPC Debug Port - xboxdevwiki

I knew that the connection between the modchip and hdmi mod would come back to haunt me,
especially with the 5v line I wanted to pass through as on the v1.6 motherboard it is 5v standby power.
This happened because I started the modchip design well before the hdmi mod and I wasn't entirely sure
how I was going to go about some aspects of the design until I got further into the project and here we are.

AIL4fc9okCVl-bjXd7zeAZMDbqrwNRpZtNgbWJAl

I was able to overcome the above oversight fairly quickly and the results make a bit more sense.
Now we have 2x I2C Ports, one dedicated to the hdmi mod and the other dedicated to the pwm fan controller.
Removed 5v entirely and RGB port now has 3.3v. Increased the size of the expansion port from 8pin to 12pin,
matching pinout of the 10pin connector from other xenium designs plus SCL and SDA. This was kinda a good idea for compatibility with other xenium modchips and/or mods based on the xenium as it would be very easy to make a 12pin to 10pin adaptor cable. So for example, this new modchip design can still work with my RGB bundles from the previous revision.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

AIL4fc_gfDAPydgAlkqmDRX_Y6VHVtGckvN1CGo4

LPC Debug Port - xboxdevwiki

I knew that the connection between the modchip and hdmi mod would come back to haunt me,
especially with the 5v line I wanted to pass through as on the v1.6 motherboard it is 5v standby power.
This happened because I started the modchip design well before the hdmi mod and I wasn't entirely sure
how I was going to go about some aspects of the design until I got further into the project and here we are.

What is responsible for supplying the 5 volt power to the LPC? Sometimes my LPC ports die and I would like to know what might be responsible for that When I'm soldering around the board. I think it can be caused by clock cap leakage, because it's not an uncommon thing for me to experience when I'm coming across these consoles. Do you know Nemesis?

Trying to figure out the 60 mm fan encasement by the way. Finally getting started. I don't know how this thing goes together.. I have the four blue parts and then some black parts and I think this thing may have to screw through the underside of the casing. Can you confirm that for me?

4 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

What is responsible for supplying the 5 volt power to the LPC? Sometimes my LPC ports die and I would like to know what might be responsible for that When I'm soldering around the board. I think it can be caused by clock cap leakage, because it's not an uncommon thing for me to experience when I'm coming across these consoles. Do you know Nemesis?

No idea what the issue would be, not something I've come across...

You could try asking "ACE Console Repair" during one of he's live streams.

EDIT: He's live streaming now actually..

Edited by NeMesiS

47 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Trying to figure out the 60 mm fan encasement by the way. Finally getting started. I don't know how this thing goes together.. I have the four blue parts and then some black parts and I think this thing may have to screw through the underside of the casing. Can you confirm that for me?

Check Dempseys notes and images he posted the other day... (Previous page)

AIL4fc_2OPYIfNuPxT-IS71i34NUAsEBz1xwnxl7

AIL4fc-Vn6h7wsd7p_mn-oULMd0A19pFeR_HWU4M

"ACE Console Repairs" received the parcel I sent today including a surprise gift which was a custom "XeniumMods" themed controller I ordered from "XboxDesignLab" about a year ago. You can actually get custom elite controllers now.

Xbox Design Lab | Xbox

He also received the final revision of the flex cables to test out, possibly tomorrow on live stream.

• Like 2

PXL-20230830-070857976.jpg

PXL-20230830-071148110.jpg

PXL-20230830-071218220.jpg

PXL-20230830-072619316.jpg

The kit works, man. It's in. I just need a suitable SATA drive and maybe to do some lighting mods, although I don't wanna take this out and route all the cables again. Lol. 

Xerc also works just fine and it's fun to play with a feature that I've only heard about but never actually installed. Thank you for that, Nemesis. And thank you for the printed mounting hardware. Made things a lot cleaner and enjoyable... AFTER I realized that I soldered the EB and PB leads to the controller inputs first. LMAO.

As you can see the DVD bezel is just like, a fucking MICROMETER up too high, but I doubt it would be noticed. I would have made some additional directions to addend what is supplied on page 17, but I was too concerned with not fucking it up. Lol.

Sigh... I'm gonna have to put LEDs in this thing, I already know...Fuck.

Good kit, Nem! Very cool and nice work. It assembles and performs as well as any well designed 3d printed kit can. I'm impressed. :)

@NeMesiS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1