OGXbox.com

Someone gifted me an xbox

lopenator

Hey all. I was given this xbox. I opened it and found this chip insideimage.jpeg.dace1ebbbb5e9d36cf47c2080a6f5cd4.jpeg

The xbox had leaking capacitors everywhere and I had to perform trace repairs. When all was done I got it to boot. Right now I pulled the chip. Should I re-install it or is there something better I should get? I know this is an old mod because there is a switch in the back of the xbox I guess for shutting the chip off/on. Right now the mobo and PSU are lying on my bench with every cap removed awaiting new ones. When it comes to xbox modchips I know very little.

Edited by lopenator

1 hour ago, lopenator said:

Hey all. I was given this xbox. I opened it and found this chip insideimage.jpeg.dace1ebbbb5e9d36cf47c2080a6f5cd4.jpeg

The xbox had leaking capacitors everywhere and I had to perform trace repairs. When all was done I got it to boot. Right now I pulled the chip. Should I re-install it or is there something better I should get? I know this is an old mod because there is a switch in the back of the xbox I guess for shutting the chip off/on. Right now the mobo and PSU are lying on my bench with every cap removed awaiting new ones. When it comes to xbox modchips I know very little.

That looks like an x2. And it's in good shape too. Get a new 1.4 board with matching HDD off eBay for 35 bucks and put it in. Install the chip and be happy. :)

Although, there are chips out there that are easier to use and flash, initially. I think those are two 512mb banks, which means you would have to have two copies of Cerbios in the same file (256+256=512)... I think, anyway. I'm gonna try this XBlast Aladdin from modzville when it finally shows up. It runs XBlast and does have a 256k bank you can store Cerbios in. If it works well, I'll recommend it to you. It's 25 bucks and checks all the boxes, on paper. :)

oh, the switch panel is meant to be stickied upsidedown under the bottom left of the front panel, as pictured.

Wires run through those vent holes underneath. :)PXL_20230610_034708278.jpg

20 minutes ago, lopenator said:

that's not my exact chip. when I try to take a picture of it can't upload it because it's too large. why get a new 1.4? I just saved this board.

Sometimes my photos are too large. It just depends on what you take a picture of. The jpegs vary in size.

I was under the impression that the board was overly fuxored and unsalvageable due to corrosion. If you rescued it, then by all means use it!

Wait, that's not your exact model of chip, or that's just not an actual picture of it, since you're having uploading issues?

my chip looks exactly like that. I think that's the chip that's in my Xbox. when I first got it my friend gave it to me as broken. I took it opened it and cleaned it out. repaired it and removed all the caps. I got new caps coming in the mail. I'm not even sure if the chip works honestly because I tested the console after I removed it and did the trace repairs. are the aladins crap? should I just reinstall this one?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lopenator said:

my chip looks exactly like that. I think that's the chip that's in my Xbox. when I first got it my friend gave it to me as broken. I took it opened it and cleaned it out. repaired it and removed all the caps. I got new caps coming in the mail. I'm not even sure if the chip works honestly because I tested the console after I removed it and did the trace repairs. are the aladins crap? should I just reinstall this one?

Stock Aladdins are garbage. However the one setup by modzville performs almost like a lower-tier xenium. It is heavily modified (utilizing a 1mb lattice chip that's ACTUALLY flashable, as the stock counterfeit 256 chip is apparently not) and programmed. It uses XBlast as the OS out of the box, and has 1mb of storage in total, but has a 512 slot, a 256, and an OS 256 slot, which XBlast occupies. I believe it has a TSOP boot option, as well.

The thing is with the x2, you have to either swap it to flash it, or use a programmer, IF it's stock and blank. It's easy once it already has a 512k bios to boot to. You just select a bank and either flash with software, or a utilitarian (something that can flash the lpc) 512k bios.

To answer your final question, the XBlast Aladdin from modzville will be easier to use than the x2. Much more flexibility and ease of use.

That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong...

4 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Is this yours?

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_c7461182-49a4-452f-9e42-e99b56b5b813.jpeg

yes. I was told I would get biased replies about chips in the discord lo

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Xbox chips. I fucking love this console.

I would think the x2 has been flashed since I got the console with it fully installed although never had the chance to boot it while it was installed. I'm thinking about swapping it out for a completely different chip. 

first I need my cap kit to come in. unfortunately the board has rot but I'm happy someone gave it to me so I can save it. the PSU had leaking caps also.

Edited by lopenator
  • Like 1

so I ordered the Aladdin chip from modzville. I got a question regarding the mechanical switch that was installed by the previous owner. he had the x2 connected to a switch probably to enable the chip when desired. I understand this is no longer needed because Xbox live isn't around anymore but I would like to still utilize the switch as it's drilled into the console shell at this point. is there a way I can connect the Aladdin from modzville to this switch?

2 hours ago, lopenator said:

so I ordered the Aladdin chip from modzville. I got a question regarding the mechanical switch that was installed by the previous owner. he had the x2 connected to a switch probably to enable the chip when desired. I understand this is no longer needed because Xbox live isn't around anymore but I would like to still utilize the switch as it's drilled into the console shell at this point. is there a way I can connect the Aladdin from modzville to this switch?

The Aladdin has no way to really utilize the switch. You may be able to wire one of the switches, with the help of a pinout, to use as a power switch, but the modzville Aladdin allows access to boot from the TSOP, so I don't know if it would serve a purpose, other than more easily performing "chip disabled" diagnostic procedures in case of a problem.

The X2 switch panel is for bank selection, enable/disable and write protection. I'm not sure if the light is to indicate write protection or chip enabling.

Check out Insignia. It's an Xbox live replacement. There aren't many people on it, but I suspect they're waiting for games like Halo 2 and other big namers to gain support. But it works. I use it to play Counterstrike online all the time! :)

The Aladdin should be delivered today for me. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

5 minutes ago, lopenator said:

I play on insignia all the time. I used to play cs all the time too. maybe we can play some time.

Oh i see what you were saying: disabling the chip so the live servers wouldn't block the motherboard. Duh.

I would love to play CS! PM me on here and tell me when you're normally on or would like to go on! :)

9 hours ago, lopenator said:

You can run the connection of D0 from the modchip to the motherboard through the switch.  Although the Aladdin modchip has its own method to enable/disable it, using the BT pad connected to the front panel's power button signal.

Please post a link to shared images of the current modchip install and the connections to the switch.

• Thanks 1

Cant really remember a time when I used any of the switch off chip features on any of my OG’s.  The only switches I ever use are the bank switxhes.  Last time I probably really used it was when my first OG was still not banned on live.   Once it got banned I just bought a new xbox and kept it standard, for live.

I still wire all the switches when I build a console just because.

Edited by big F

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You can run the connection of D0 from the modchip to the motherboard through the switch.  Although the Aladdin modchip has its own method to enable/disable it, using the BT pad connected to the front panel's power button signal.

Please post a link to shared images of the current modchip install and the connections to the switch.

What he said.

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

so I took the whole Xbox board out and serviced it so unfortunately the chip is no longer installed but iirc the switch was connected by this conductor and going another going to gnd.

that whole connector on the chip appears to be labeled j5

I know the switch serves no purpose any longer but since it's drilled through the shell id rather connect it to the chip. maybe one day I'll boot with the modchip disabled for laughs and giggles.

IMG_20230613_050859.jpg

Edited by lopenator