OGXbox.com

Halo 2 DLC does not work every time on xlink kai.

Aero_105

I ran the halo 2 game disc once made a profile,  installed the dlc from a hdd ready download.  Original hdd had the dlc already. The installed files match on the 1 TB drive so the install is good.  3 out of ten times when a dlc game is picked in the pregame lobby I get a "Failed to load map" error.  Also when I try to join a game that is dlc it occurs as well.  When I host a dlc game it works but not every time for the other person I get 1 or more players failed to load map.  This occurs with xlink kai as a direct system link connection works every time.  Not sure if it is xlink kai computer settings or what?

The DLC has to be resigned to run from a different Xbox.  You cannot simply download the installed DLC files from one Xbox hard drive and upload them to a different Xbox. 

At least, if the HDDKey values in the configuration EEPROM are different which they normally are unless you have changed their values.

Or, if you NULL'd or set to all 1's the HDDKey after the DLC was installed.

Edit: DLC content can be resigned with the following app from @feudalnate's github repository:

https://github.com/feudalnate/XBX-Content-Tool

The DLC downloaded content could in fact be an installer, it would help if you could verify.  Digiex.net offline dlc would be an option as I have two xbox's with failed dvd drives.  I do still have the original hdd files.  Would they work on an upgraded hdd?  The original xbox has a aladdin modchip.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:57 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Edit: DLC content can be resigned with the following app from @feudalnate's github repository:

https://github.com/feudalnate/XBX-Content-Tool

The XBX-Content program calls for a HDkey not a hddkey.  I used method B and obtained the key from the txt file.  The key was alpha numeric and was not valid.  I looked at the eeprom.bin of the original drive and it was the same key but cap locked instead of lower case letters.  I ended up using the DLC installer you gave in the link.  What is the best procedure for installation.  I deleted the existing map packs using microsoft dashboard but kept the user profile.  The Halo version was still 1.1 from the previous update.  I then used the DLC installer to install the maps.  Does order matter?

3 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

The XBX-Content program calls for a HDkey not a hddkey.  I used method B and obtained the key from the txt file.  The key was alpha numeric and was not valid.  I looked at the eeprom.bin of the original drive and it was the same key but cap locked instead of lower case letters.  I ended up using the DLC installer you gave in the link.  What is the best procedure for installation.  I deleted the existing map packs using microsoft dashboard but kept the user profile.  The Halo version was still 1.1 from the previous update.  I then used the DLC installer to install the maps.  Does order matter?

feudalnate calls what I call the HDDKey - HDKey.  They are one in the same.  A 32-digit hexadecimal values used to generate the HDD's locking password or the key used to sign game saves and DLC content.

Evoxdash's hddinfo.txt file created by running its Backup menu option:

Disk Serial Number : "     WD-WCAMR4446578"
Disk Model Number  : "WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0                     ****PARTINFO****                                XBOX MUSIC      "
HDD Key            : dc:e8:66:1d:cd:84:3f:91
                     e0:b4:c1:76:68:f6:24:ed
                     0c:be:d0:7c:00:00:00:00
                     00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

HDDLockDisablePassword dc e8 66 1d cd 84 3f 91 e0 b4 c1 76 68 f6 24 ed 0c be d0 7c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

XboxHDKey d7 75 3b fc 89 f6 9e 22 cf 15 ba 95 68 6d b5 aa

What I call the HDDKey is named XboxHDKey here.

I guess I need to stop calling it the HDDKey. I know which value I'm meaning to use sorry for the confusion.

I think feudalnate and I both mean the value obtained from decrypting the configuration EEPROM's content stored from offset 0x1C to 0x2B. This value is used along with the hard drive's model and serial number to compute the unlocking password.  It is also used to sign game saves that do so and signing DLC content.

Excerpt from the Xbox's Configuration EEPROM Content

Start End Notes
0x00 0x13 HMAC_SHA1 Hash
0x14 0x1B RC4 Encrypted Confounder ??
0x1C 0x2B RC4 Encrypted HDD key

Source: https://xboxdevwiki.net/EEPROM#Contents

For the XBX-Content program, I believe the key's value is entered without the extra spaces between each byte of data.

d7753bfc89f69e22cf15ba95686db5aa

instead of 

d7 75 3b fc 89 f6 9e 22 cf 15 ba 95 68 6d b5 aa

On 1/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, Aero_105 said:

I ended up using the DLC installer you gave in the link.  What is the best procedure for installation.  I deleted the existing map packs using microsoft dashboard but kept the user profile.  The Halo version was still 1.1 from the previous update.  I then used the DLC installer to install the maps.  Does order matter?

I believe the only requirement for running the DLC Installer to install the maps is that the /E/UDATA/<TitleID>/ and /E/TDATA/<TitleID>/ folder(s) exist on the hard drive.

digiex states to run the game to create a profile on the hard drive before running the DLC installer.

Name                        | TitleID

Halo 2                      | 4D530064

Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack | 4D5380CD

I'm not sure what digiex's Halo 2 DLC Installer installs.  Both the map pack and the game's title update or just the maps or a title update; therefore, best to make sure that all 4 folders exist on the hard drive.

UDATA and TDATA subfolders for Halo 2 and for Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

digiex states to run the game to create a profile on the hard drive before running the DLC installer.

Done with a hard modded xbox original

Here's what I did. 

I ftp into E:\UDATA\4d530064 and saved only the profile folders.  [To keep the game saves]

Then in MS Dashboard deleted all the contents.

Ran Halo 2 from hdd and made sure there was no updates on the title screen.

Made a new profile and ran and saved a campaign game.

Rebooted into current dashboard. ftp Halo 2 DLC into games folder.  Ran the program.

Installed all map packs first then "Launch Installer 2" to install title update 1.5

Rebooted into current dashboard.

I placed the saved profile(s) back into E:\UDATA\4d530064 with the new profile.

All the map pack data is found in E:\TDATA\4d530064 folder.

I played one gaming session that used one of the DLC and it worked.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1