OGXbox.com

Screen Misaligned?

Demiath

This is probably a very easy thing to fix, but I have so far failed to come up with the appropriate search terms in Xbox OG forums such as this one. In some of my games (for example; Spider-Man 2, Tenchu: Return from Darkness and Darkwatch), the game is displayed incorrectly like in the screenshot below. I'm using Rocky5 and didn't have any problems with this before softmodding the console. The video output is through an OSSC (which I used before the softmod as well, without having this issue). I've dabbled with the display options in the softmod settings menu but nothing has made a difference. What am I doing wrong?

Elgato_Rec Skärmavbild 2020-05-23 11-10-30.png

Edited by Demiath

You'll have to provide more information about OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter?).

What dashboard? What version Xbox? Region/region setting?

Games played from original disc, backup disc or installed? Correct region disc.

Cable type: Composite, Component, RGB SCART, S-Video?

Resolution and format settings?

Rocky5's XBSMT uses virtual eeprom I believe which means any video setting changes will revert on reboot.

Obvious thing to check is whether the problem occurs with a direct Xbox to TV cable connection ie. not through a OSSC. That has to be the primary suspect.

The only time I've seen anything display like that was one of the GTA games (Vice City?) and the solution I remember was to change the Xbox screen format setting from WS to Normal (4:3). Tenchu RFD and I think Darkwatch do not support WS (there are patches but only applicable to HDD installed games or backup discs) so swapping the screen display format is the first thing to try. 

Edited by HDShadow

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply! Here is some additional information;

Softmod: Rocky 5 1.1.7
Dashboard revision: 0.39.0528A Build 584
Xbox version: 1.6
Game format: Original PAL region discs only (i.e. no installed files, mods or backups used)
Region: PAL console (with PAL setting)
Cable: Third-party component (passthrough via OSSC, but I get the same results when the cables are connected directly to the TV)
Resolution: 480p (importantly, the misalignment doesn't occur in 480i)
Format setting: Normal (have tried both "Normal" and "Widescreen" setting with no difference, see screenshots below from Deus Ex: Invisible War)

While I've personally only experienced the display issue in 4:3 games running in 480p, it doesn't appear in all 4:3 games. For example, Morrowind and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer look normal despite only supporting 4:3 according to this list.

Original setting.png

Deus Ex (Widescreen).png

Deus Ex (Normal).png

Buffy (Widescreen).png

Edited by Demiath

The Settings in UnleashX are for the dashboard itself.  

Your PAL Xbox is still using PAL resolutions when set to PAL.  Doesn't matter what the Enable 480p/720p/1080i settings only work when set to NTSC. The settings state the console is running in PAL modem so the max resolution out is 576i. (480i or 576i are the only two PAL video out resolutions)

Edit: You can use the NKPatcher Settings application included with the Xbox Softmodding Tool to make changes to the configuration EEPROM's video settings.  The changes made there will work across all Xbox executables as they are saved in the configuration EEPROM.  UnleashX dash settings do not change those settings stored in the configurationEEPROM - those are only applicable to the UnleashX dashboard while it is running.

Thanks, I'll be checking out the NKPatcher settings. I'm confused about the video settings, however, since the OSSC (in passthrough mode) as well as my capture card recognizes a 480p input with the softmod enabled. Likewise, bypassing the softmod has an immediate negative effect on the image quality (and also removes the misalignment).

Edited by Demiath

Thanks again, changing to NTSC in NKPatcher indeed fixed my issues (I figured it was an easy n00b thing). The video output or quality in my 480p games has not changed, but the misalignment is now gone.

Edited by Demiath