OGXbox.com

Jtag Programmer for Openxenium

kraven_eh88

So whatever code is running on the xenium clones I have does not like anything being on the flash other than their own modified xenium os 1.0. They're still happily recognized by the flasher tool, even after flashing 2.3.1 to them. but I accidentally overwrote the flash.bin when I went to write it back. Learn my ass for not fully reading shit and madly clicking.

TL:DR: I'm an idiot and need a JTAG programmer to flash the openxenium code to my xenium clones.

Would this work?(page auto-translated from Russian)

Got all the parts to piece it together, so its a helluva lot cheaper and quicker than buying a programmer online.

NO, JTAG is not used to fix the OS portion of the OpenXenium modchip.

The flash.bin BIOS/OS of the modchip and the openxenium.svf file for the FPGA/CPLD are two entirely different types of code for the OpenXenium modchip. (FPGA = field programmable gate array. CPLD = complex programmable logic device.)

flash.bin contains the Xenium OS that controls the modchip.  Written to the OpenXenium modchip's 2MB flash memory chip via the low-pin count (LPC) debug port bus.

openxenium.svf is the firmware loaded to the CPLD.  Written to the CPLD of the OpenXenium modchip via the JTAG port on the modchip.  Not what you want to use to recover from wiping the XeniumOS from the modchip's flash memory chip.

If you wiped out the Xenium OS and if the flash.bin originally written to the modchip contained the recovery BIOS section, you can enable the recovery mode of the chip and reflash the Xenium OS 2.3.1 to the chip.  Or, if not, more about second recovery method later.

From Ryzee119's OpenXenium README.md at github.com:

If you bridge the two recovery pins on power up, it will attempt to boot the XeniumOS recovery BIOS if available. This functions the same as a genuine Xenium modchip.

For more details on the use of the recovery mode, read the Xenium OS 2.0 User Manual. The original Xenium modchip had a switch to enable recovery mode.

Edit: Oops, sorry, there's not much about using the recovery mode in the Xenium OS 2.0 User Manual.  It's in the Xenium-OS Update Manual.

Now, more on the second recovery method mentioned earlier:

If you have another hard modded Xbox (or another working modchip to install into and boot this console) after booting into a replacement dashboard, you can hot-swap the modchip and write the flash.bin file to the OpenXenium modchip by running the Xbox application xenium-tools.xbe available in the releases section at the OpenXenium github.com site.

• Like 1

Clones do NOT have the recovery partition . and the code running on the cpld does not play nicely with anything but the modified xenium os1.0 that came on it originally. Which in a a panic I overwrote the flash.bin by accident. Trying to update the code on the cpld itself to openxenium so it'll hopefully work again.  So to reiterate, the code running on the clone REQUIRES its own modified xenium OS for the chip to function. Official xenium OS does not work. Which is why I was asking about JTAG to flash the cpld itself. So I ask again, will that programmer I linked work for this purpose?

So, an update of sorts. Got them flashing "properly" by using a different Xbox. But they'll only hold the OS for one boot then they FRAG and I have to reflash them. And during that one boot up they work, they're sooo laggy. Its almost a half second delay between button press and something moving on screen. Beginning to think using old xenium clones was a baaaad idea.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:37 AM, kraven_eh88 said:

But they'll only hold the OS for one boot then they FRAG and I have to reflash them.

If these are OpenXeniums then ensure that the CPLD is flashed with the current file.  The latest version addressed some FRAG issues.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium/releases

they're the xenium blue clones. me and a few others ive encountered have discovered the blue clones will NOT hold an update(they'll take it for one or two boots then the flash gets wiped), the ice clones however will happily take an update. looks like i need to find some way to upload the openxenium code to the cpld without a jtag programmer around here, save for a nand-x with the v3 code on it.