Identifying the Modifications That Were Done

Hello everyone,

so here I am, a person with nearly no knowledge about the OGXBox 😊 Here is a little backstory and what my "plans" are.

Four or five years ago I bought off a xBox from eBay with the goal to softmod it and play backups from the harddisk. I already hat a 120 GB HDD laying around. So I messed a bit around and got it pretty easly running and finding out, that the XBox was already somehow modded. Long story short: I swapped out the HDD and played for a couple of months with the OG Xbox until I moved into a new appartment with my wife.

At my job I found two 750 GB HDD IDE drives and thought "sweet, lets swap them out". But guess what: I did not saved the tutorials on how to swap the HDD. I remember that I burned a CD to save the HDD key, and lock the new HDD with the same key to get it working. After a little bit of digging I read about the clock capacitor issue. After realising that my XBox is now more then three years in my basement I only thought

Oh shit

So now I'm sitting at work and as soon as I'm back home getting my old XBox back and see if damage is there or not 😐

Well, because of my missing knowledge on how to swap out harddisks again I wanted to ask for you help! I already found out about chimp and got a Y-Molex Cable in hand. So the swapping should not be that hard. But since I want to bring back new life to my XBox I wanted to learn more about it. And there is now the your help needed:

• How to I found out what softmod is installed (if a softmod is installed, I never removed the ODD drive and see if there is a chip in it)
  • Should I update the softmod even if everything is working?
  • What if I got a softmod without the clock loop fix and already removed the capacitor, is there still a way to recover the XBox?

As you can see, my questions are really beginner like, but it's quite hard to find more informations and I thought it woudl help me a lot if you could help me :)

So thanks in advance for you help!

• 8 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By vicicarus
      Thank you in advance for any and all help provided,
      So I installed a X3 chip along with the LCD face plate that has USB on my v1.0 Xbox (not windbond/Sharp). I managed to flash bios to the chip but I am unsure of how to understand the bank switches. Bios checker always show unknown bios.
      I get Evox Bios to load when all 4 switches lights are on.
      I get X3 Bios to load when switch # 2 lights is on.
      Every other switch combination my Xbox just powers cycles on/off 3 times with power button flashing before it shuts down. I can't even get to the flash Bios menu anymore. So my questions are....
      Question 1: On the face plate are my switches are ON if they light up or are they OFF if no light is on! Is this correct? I don't see the on/off wording on it.
      Question 2: How do I determine where to flash a Bios? 256k/512k/1MB/2MB?
      Question 3: The graph description below shows what bank you are on depending on the switch combination, yes?

256k Bank
      Bank 1: on on on on
      Bank 2: off on on on
      Bank 3: on off on on
      Bank 4: off off on on
      Bank 5: on on off on
      Bank 6: off on off on
      Bank 7: on off off on
      Bank 8: off off off on
      512k Bank
      Bank 12: on on on off
      Bank 34: off on on off
      Bank 56: on off on off
      Bank 78: off off on off
      1MB Bank
      Bank 1234: on on off off
      Bank 5678: off on off off
      2MB Bank
      Bank 12345678: off off off off

• By mandalore30
      Hi! I just got an 1.6 xbox with unleash x and the game installed on the hdd but when I launch the game there's no text on the menus and no dialogue, the characters just stay still until skip the cutscene then the game works fine. I've tried downloading a raw iso redump and convert it to xiso and extract the files to the hdd but I get the same issues. does anybody else has this problem?
    • By Logh3f82
      So i have a 1.6 or 1.6b xbox and i ordered a mod chip to try modding it. i see every time someone mods an xbox that have this board that they use with it.
      I don't have that board and want to ask if its possible to  mod it without it.

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.