OGXbox.com

Question about Power/Eject Board.

Zac_The_Guy

My Xbox's power button is really weird. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just doesn't. Not only that, but the green LED Light on it does not work (The Red does however). At first, I assumed it was the traces, but if the Red Light works, then it has to be the power board, right? 

6 hours ago, Zac_The_Guy said:

My Xbox's power button is really weird. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just doesn't. Not only that, but the green LED Light on it does not work (The Red does however). At first, I assumed it was the traces, but if the Red Light works, then it has to be the power board, right? 

It's trace rot. There are positive leads for everything. The green sides of the LEDs ( are not getting positive power and your power button is also severed, probably on the positive side (I'm unclear what has its own negative leads and what has both a positive and a negative. Take a look here. I've done it (trace rebuild based on what I determined to be severed), but it was tedious and time consuming 😛

https://www.overclock.net/threads/need-help-xbox-power-eject-power-requirements-leds.401555/

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

It's trace rot. There are positive leads for everything. The green sides of the LEDs ( are not getting positive power and your power button is also severed, probably on the positive side (I'm unclear what has its own negative leads and what has both a positive and a negative. Take a look here. I've done it (trace rebuild based on what I determined to be severed), but it was tedious and time consuming 😛

https://www.overclock.net/threads/need-help-xbox-power-eject-power-requirements-leds.401555/

Thanks for the link! That can be useful. The thing is the power button sometimes works. After I did some cleaning, it started to work again. And I was always able to power it off, just not on. I was forced to press the eject button to turn it on. Sometimes the power button would work to turn it on after it sat down and cooled off for awhile. And sometimes it would try to power on, and then just power back off! It’s never powered itself off. It’s so weird! Plus, the Appendix (Clock Cap) didn’t leak around that area. I actually already bought the new power board, so I’ll test it just to make sure, but it could be the traces.

Edited by Zac_The_Guy

1 hour ago, Zac_The_Guy said:

Thanks for the link! That can be useful. The thing is the power button sometimes works. After I did some cleaning, it started to work again. And I was always able to power it off, just not on. I was forced to press the eject button to turn it on. Sometimes the power button would work to turn it on after it sat down and cooled off for awhile. And sometimes it would try to power on, and then just power back off! It’s never powered itself off. It’s so weird! Plus, the Appendix (Clock Cap) didn’t leak around that area. I actually already bought the new power board, so I’ll test it just to make sure, but it could be the traces.

You may be able to try some contact cleaner on the switch with the panel PCB removed, or if you can solder, replace the switch entirely.

Agreed. Since you have access to one you could plug in to the mobo to test (with the Xbox components kind of temporarily assembled and out of the way) if the switch is actually the problem. That would be the easiest way. If you have zero problems there then you can assume it’s the switch and proceed to replacing it. If the problem still exists with the new switch then you can assume it’s lies within the power rails on the mobo most likely. 

I have a few spare known good switches that I use for this purpose all the time. It’s usually the first thing I check when similar power issues arise since it takes so little time to do and I don’t have to take the entire console apart to test it. That comes later. Lol

• Like 2