OGXbox.com

1.0 Xbox controller ports not working

I am having some issues with a system I am working on hardmodding, and I'd like to save the system if possible.

The issue:

I have a 1.0 OG Xbox console where the controllers do not work

History of this project:

This console started off as a non-working console on Ebay that had never been opened. It had hard drive issues so would give an error code 8 on boot. I was able to install an aladdin mod chip, and throw in a new formatted drive an boot into xblast and gentoox to try to flash cerbios. Xblast did not recognize the mod chip, so I tried gentoox also. My controllers do not work in either dashboard. I have an original controller from ebay that was advertised as working, as well as a cheap 3rd party controller from amazon. I do not have another Xbox, so its possible neither controller works.

What I have tried so far:

• All 4 controller ports (If that even works in those dashboards)
  • re capping the motherboard
  • replacing the daughter board (1.0) and controller ports
  • checking traces for continuity near the clock capacitor (there was a bit of leakage but not really any damage), near the controller headers, and general spot checks

My question is, what would you try next? I would really like to save this console, but I am running out of ideas on how to repair it. Any advice/insight/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, jjjwelch said:

So you have only booted into xblast and gentoox, not the normal MS Dash, or Unleash, ect? If I remember correctly, xblast, and gentoox are very picky with controllers and prefer OEM one's 

I have also booted xbmc4gamers, no dice. I will try some other ones just in case

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, clak said:

Xblast did not recognize the mod chip

Ignore the error about unsupported modchip.  All of the XBlast OS's features are only supported on an XBlast Lite or Pro modchip. That's the reason it prints that message, you are not running it on a modchip that supports all of its features.

44 minutes ago, clak said:

My question is, what would you try next? I would really like to save this console, but I am running out of ideas on how to repair it. Any advice/insight/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Try a known working OEM / Microsoft controller.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your input, I learned a lot. I went to my local game store and was able to pick up an OEM controller and it worked :). I felt like I was going crazy and running out of ideas, so exciting to see that cerbios start up after a successful flash

• Like 4