OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.0 Boots 3x then Red and Orange flashing lights, can it be saved?

Naked Newt

I recently acquired this Xbox with a 1.0 board and wanted to try and repair it. After opening it up and cleaning it, I noticed the clock cap hanging on by a thread so I plucked that off. I haven't done anything else to the console and the previous owner doesn't know if it was soft or hard modded. I still get the same error from when I first got it which is described in the title. Below I will attach some photos to show off the condition of the motherboard. Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_3380.thumb.jpg.51cda686d320fe212368801738e4b94d.jpgIMG_3381.thumb.jpg.d3872b2055ff1209c663968ece7384c8.jpg

Edited by Naked Newt

40 minutes ago, NokSueCow said:

The points don't look bridged, and the lpc looks untouched, I'd say softmod. Did the previous owner say it was indeed modded? No error code at the top left?

Sorry I should have specified, the previous owner does not know if it was modded at all and there is no output on the screen.

Have you tried booting with the dvd drive and hdd unplugged? It may not hurt to completely remove the mobo and check the underside and possibly post a picture here. The metal shielding shows signs like its seen a good amount of moisture of some kind

• Like 1

You've probably got some trace rot under the board where the clock capacitor was located. Once they start leaking, they can damage components. Remove the motherboard completely and check continuity on those traces. Here is a video explaining what you should check and how to fix the issue  if they're damaged. 

https://youtu.be/IqZ20K6o1yc?si=OsGMit_TtIeJic_O

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jjjwelch said:

Have you tried booting with the dvd drive and hdd unplugged? It may not hurt to completely remove the mobo and check the underside and possibly post a picture here. The metal shielding shows signs like its seen a good amount of moisture of some kind

I have tried without the DVD drive and HDD plugged in and I get the same error as described in title. I will post the underside below.

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

12 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

You've probably got some trace rot under the board where the clock capacitor was located. Once they start leaking, they can damage components. Remove the motherboard completely and check continuity on those traces. Here is a video explaining what you should check and how to fix the issue  if they're damaged. 

https://youtu.be/IqZ20K6o1yc?si=OsGMit_TtIeJic_O

The traces under the clock cap look pretty good to me but I'm no expert. I posted pics of the underside of the board in a reply above.

@Naked Newt

Red/Orange is a memory issue.

For some reason, the Xbox's 64MBs of RAM memory is not working properly. Possible causes:

• Solder bridge between pins on one or more of the chips.

• LPC Debug port's LRESET# pin (pin #5) being held low (or in a floating state that's not registering as a logic '1' level - HIGH) which keeps the RAM memory and other peripheral chips in a reset state never allowing them to run. (Edit: xbox-hq.com's Fixing flashing red/orange tutorial)

• Dead RAM chip that requires replacement.

It's possible that the electrolyte corrosion damaged something involving the RAM without actually being the RAM. Unless replacing all the modules fixes it, this board is probably a lost cause since there is too much to diagnose. There have been cases I have seen where replacing the troublesome ram chip (probably only one chip in many instances, as long as RAM chip(s) are the cause) remedied the issue.

• Like 2