OGXbox.com

Just got a 1.4 with an Xecutor 3CE solderless installed. Want to solder it.

peterpop

I think I got lucky. I was looking for an Xbox below 1.6 to do a RAM upgrade on. I found one with the X3 front switch panel for the same price as any old Xbox without it. Just got it and it turns on. The chip turned out to be the newer CE version. But it's installed with the Xapt3r adapter. In https://command-tab.com/static/x3_ce_v10_v16.pdf there is an image of the standard kit:

image.thumb.png.3e9f7ff406441e6292fff3f82f9a744e.png

The parts that came with this Xbox are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7. If I want to solder it I will need 9 also. That I can make myself from one of the scrap headers I have. But what is 8 and 10? My guess is that 10 is irrelevant. Is 8 for some drive activity led flashing? Is it available to buy somewhere?

15 hours ago, peterpop said:

I think I got lucky. I was looking for an Xbox below 1.6 to do a RAM upgrade on. I found one with the X3 front switch panel for the same price as any old Xbox without it. Just got it and it turns on. The chip turned out to be the newer CE version. But it's installed with the Xapt3r adapter. In https://command-tab.com/static/x3_ce_v10_v16.pdf there is an image of the standard kit:

image.thumb.png.3e9f7ff406441e6292fff3f82f9a744e.png

The parts that came with this Xbox are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7. If I want to solder it I will need 9 also. That I can make myself from one of the scrap headers I have. But what is 8 and 10? My guess is that 10 is irrelevant. Is 8 for some drive activity led flashing? Is it available to buy somewhere?

You don't need 10 when you install a pin header in the LPC Debug port.  Part #10 is for the wire installation method. Soldering each attached wire to the appropriate pin location of the LPC Debug port then plugging the other end into the modchip's mating pin header connector.

Now, #8 you need or at least a wire soldered to the back of the modchip's connector at the grey wire's pin location on the modchip and the other end to the motherboard's D0/LFRAME (for v1.6) point as shown in the manual you provided a link to. 

Or, you can find pre-wired 3-pin connectors sets on eBay and AliExpress. 

IIRC, they are JST 1.0mm pin pitch (center-to-center pin distance) SH connectors. (Edit: I wish I remembered if that is correct. Anyone???)  

When you purchase them from either source listed, they usually have the mating connector too that's already installed on the modchip.  Make sure the cables you purchase have wires long enough to reach their solder points to the motherboard.  The wire colors won't be the same as shown in the parts inventory above.  You'll have to match up the pin location with the color of wire attached to it.

I have tried to research the connector. I think most refer to it as a JST (like you just did) 3-pin connector, but I think it's actually a PicoBlade 3-pin with 1.25mm pitch. Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134886687394

The red/green/gray could be bought years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20111210215747/http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/xecuter-26-x3-d0-red-gray-green-wire-bundle-with-connector-p-488.html

Another question: On the Xapt3r there is a wire going to D0. I have read somewhere that that is used to tell the system to read the bios onboard or via lpc. Do you know if when the D0 is connected from the Xapt3r instead of from the chip board means that the bios on the mod chip is always used. I don't know anything about the X3 but I would guess that it's user configurable whether the Xbox should use onboard or modchip bios.

29 minutes ago, peterpop said:

Another question: On the Xapt3r there is a wire going to D0. I have read somewhere that that is used to tell the system to read the bios onboard or via lpc. Do you know if when the D0 is connected from the Xapt3r instead of from the chip board means that the bios on the mod chip is always used. I don't know anything about the X3 but I would guess that it's user configurable whether the Xbox should use onboard or modchip bios.

The Xapt3r routes D0 of the modchip through pin 4 of the adapter to the D0 pad on the top of the motherboard through the spring wire placed into the D0 point via.

Xapt3r_Install_V1.0-1.5_Lite.pdf (archive.org)

This isn't the full PDF.  This website only provided links to the full manual to people that purchased the product from them.

1 hour ago, peterpop said:

I have tried to research the connector. I think most refer to it as a JST (like you just did) 3-pin connector, but I think it's actually a PicoBlade 3-pin with 1.25mm pitch. Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134886687394

It doesn't really look like the PicoBlade 3-pin connector to me; however, much closer, if not it, than the JST SH connector.

I've taken some pictures with my phone of the one I have but I don't have anything that I can measure something this small.

Here are three (3) bad images of the connector end: (Edit: I'll see if I can get a better version downloaded.)

D0_HDD_LAN_1.jpg

D0_HDD_LAN_2.jpg

D0_HDD_LAN_3.jpg