OGXbox.com

1.4 version freezing sometimes on Cerbios splash screen

monkeyjab

Trying to figure out an issue.  I have a version 1.4 that I modded with modsvilleusa xblast chip (the new robin Williams version).  I have a 4 tb wd drive 80 pin connector and startech adapter.  I have noticed that rebooting out of games will cause it to crash on the Cerbios screen sometimes.  I will occasionally also get a crash on trying to load a game.  

I'm using xmbc4gamers dash.  Udma 5 

Overall I works well minus this occasional crash.

As far as Cerbios, I have it flashed to the xblast chips 256k bank.  No quick boot enabled.  

All the normal stuff done, recapped, clock cap removed repasted etc

Thanks for any help

1 hour ago, MadMartigan said:

When you say, “rebooting out of games”, are you referring to IGR(in game reset)? This is usually pressing both triggers, Back, and Black together. 

Yes.  Play a game, use button commands then on reboot it hangs on the Cerbios splash screen until I power cycle the power button 

10 minutes ago, Marty said:

See if you get the same behavior with a UDMA2 BIOS.

Also, have a look at the motherboard caps. Maybe take a pic.

I did the udma2 bios. It was worse.  Caps are good.  I replaced them..  also thermals are good.

12 hours ago, monkeyjab said:

I did the udma2 bios. It was worse.  Caps are good.  I replaced them..  also thermals are good.

You DO NOT want to use UDMA2. That is for stock IDE HDDs. You want UDMA5-7. I recommend trying 6 since you’re using a Startech adapter and an 80 wire IDE cable. And as mentioned above, check your cluster sizes. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, monkeyjab said:

I want to say I did 256.  Is there anyway to check after the fact?

If you formatted the drive with FatXplorer it should have selected the correct cluster size for your drive automatically. Mine did for my 6tb drive. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:31 PM, MadMartigan said:

You DO NOT want to use UDMA2. That is for stock IDE HDDs. You want UDMA5-7. I recommend trying 6 since you’re using a Startech adapter and an 80 wire IDE cable. And as mentioned above, check your cluster sizes. 

If there are problems, then it is advised to test with udma2 to see if the problem goes away. The higher udma settings can be unstable with some adaptors. FYI udma 7 is not supported by the ogxbox. The highest you can get is udma 6. 

What I would do is test without a dvd drive to see if it is the dvd drive. I know some samsung dvd drives are not happy paired with a startech adaptor.

Edited by Dempsey_86
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dempsey_86 said:

If there are problems, then it is advised to test with udma2 to see if the problem goes away. The higher udma settings can be unstable with some adaptors. FYI udma 7 is not supported by the ogxbox. The highest you can get is udma 6. 

What I would do is test without a dvd drive to see if it is the dvd drive. I know some samsung dvd drives are not happy paired with a startech adaptor.

Yeah, If I'm not mistaken, Phillips drives have that issue. I have not found a reason why. 

Safe Mode in Cerbios uses UDMA-2 for diagnostic situations just like this. Pressing eject with a UDMA-6 version of Cerbios will prompt a Safe Mode boot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dempsey_86 said:

Sorry, I’m on mobile 90% of the time and on the go. If he wanted to test then safe mode would utilize the UDMA2 no? Anyways, the OP did already state that UDMA 2 made things worse with his setup. I’m very curious to see a picture of what he has on his end. 

13 minutes ago, monkeyjab said:

It's was formatted 128.  Rebuilt the HDD with 256.  That seems to eliminate the issue.  I've in game rebooted about 40 times today with one crash.  I also have a Thompson drive. 

That's great! Many times it is the simple things that are overlooked. I'm definitely guilty myself which is why that was my first suggestion. Happy gaming.

In addition, sometimes people say they have a startech adapter when they're just mistaking any sata adapter. Wanted to be sure that's what you actually had. 

Edited by MadMartigan

8 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

That's great! Many times it is the simple things that are overlooked. I'm definitely guilty myself which is why that was my first suggestion. Happy gaming.

In addition, sometimes people say they have a startech adapter when they're just mistaking any sata adapter. Wanted to be sure that's what you actually had. 

Definitely appreciate all the help from everyone.  I'm just getting into Xbox modding coming from PS2 and GameCube, so still learning my way.  Thanks again