OGXbox.com

Share your tips and tricks for case modding

MadMartigan

As the title states, it’s time to get some updated tips on case modding. Im currently looking for newer/cleaner methods of reattaching jewels after clearing them. With all of the new products being available and unexpected uses for others, I’m extremely interested in hearing what you all do and how. I’ve shared a few of my methods here and there, so share some that you think are helpful. Share anything about LED mods, Painting, and so on.

The top part is tougher than the bottom. I just use a small flathead screwdriver to pry up the metal tabs that are gripping the screw holes. Most ppl, including myself, just throw those away afterward. So it's your choice to be very careful or just pop it off. The bottom will just come right out once everything is removed. 

17 hours ago, Marty said:

I would say owning a Dremel or similar tool is a requirement.

Dremels can be very handy if you're cutting the case. I've done any major cutting that requires one in the longest time. My first jewel mod was with one. Now I use a 2-1/2" wood hole cutter that's attached to a drill bit. Makes it so much quicker and cleaner. 

20240110_173007.jpg

Edited by MadMartigan

8 hours ago, Thairanny said:

The acrylic DVD, HDD, and Lid mod is pretty sick.

I've seen that video and I would LOVE to do it... I don't have faith in my case modding skills though. I would also want to use a miniature "clean room" which is basically a filtered, downward facing hood fan. Not comfortable just cracking the shell off a modern HDD unprotected. The tolerances between the heads and the platters are just too narrow. I believe he did it with an IDE drive? It's easier to get away with atmospheric debris getting in the drive with those, I believe.

I can build a modchip but am scared to even replace the Jewel or cut a hole for backlighting it... even CENTERING the jewel. Lol. Still so many skills to build.

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

scared to even replace the Jewel or cut a hole for backlighting it... even CENTERING the jewel

I thought we had this discussion. Making the hole is a 1/10 job on the difficulty scale, you don't even need a power tool.

Edited by fox

2 minutes ago, fox said:

I thought we had this discussion. Making the hole is a 1/10 job on the difficulty scale, you don't even need a power tool.

We did... I'm still scurrred. 😛 But only because I haven't done it before. Once I do I'm sure my confidence in it will be there.

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

You can’t go wrong with the drill attachment that I use. It’s a perfect cut and leaves a very small lip for the jewel to sit back on. 

As long as the teeth don't disintegrate the plastic. But you say you've used to and it works fine, so I believe ya :)