OGXbox.com

1.6b xbox open xenium install

mcpoodles

8 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

But why all the damn scorching on the PCB? You're seeing that, right?

Honestly, it doesn't look like scorching, it just looks like they didn't clean up their work and that's just used flux which leaves a orange-brown stain.

Everywhere you look on the internet you see those "How's my work?" posts....but people never bother to take a minute to clean their joints or boards.

27 minutes ago, Marty said:

Honestly, it doesn't look like scorching, it just looks like they didn't clean up their work and that's just used flux which leaves a orange-brown stain.

Everywhere you look on the internet you see those "How's my work?" posts....but people never bother to take a minute to clean their joints or boards.

... I DID think of that, actually. I just use flux that doesn't do it so I'm not used to seeing it. The flux I use is clear... unless it is burnt. 😛

Anyway @mcpoodles, What is the consensus? Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Lol. I put in "Mc" in front of the "@" sign and "McBoatface" showed up.

• Haha 1

Sorry for the late reply everyone, I'm limited to 4 posts per day for some reason, I believe its Celsius, its not a very nice station but it displays a C when turning on before the temperature starts showing, i also dont believe its actually at the temperature its reporting lol. I didn't really make any progress today, having trouble getting a wire to solder onto the vias.

10 minutes ago, mcpoodles said:

Sorry for the late reply everyone, I'm limited to 4 posts per day for some reason, I believe its Celsius, its not a very nice station but it displays a C when turning on before the temperature starts showing, i also dont believe its actually at the temperature its reporting lol. I didn't really make any progress today, having trouble getting a wire to solder onto the vias.

Which soldering station is this, anyway? Maybe you should upgrade if you are able or if it is necessary?

59 minutes ago, mcpoodles said:

it was this one, I dont do much soldering work outside of the odd project like this, in the past ive installed chips in my xbox 360, switch, and ps2 slim, im not sure why this one is proving to be so challenging lol

What tip are you using? If it’s either of the fine points in the picture of that on Amazon that may be part of the issue. I’d go with the small chisel tip (middle one in that main picture). Also are you tinning the copper of the wires before trying to attach? It would also help to put a little solder on the via before trying to make that connection. Just a little though. 

I am unfamiliar with that brand. If you have a laser temp sensor you could test and see if it’s getting as hot as it says though. The original Xbox motherboards can be a bit ornery at times. Lol

1 hour ago, Thairanny said:

NGL I'm using SAC305 solder, lead-free same as the Xbox. It melts at 500F, but when you apply the tip to the board it does nothing. I've been working at 850F XD. It works, don't crucify me! If some knows how I get away with lower temps i'm all ears, but I tried doing soldering joints in increments of 100 degrees (550, 650, etc.) and only around 800F did I make progress. Have you simply tried really hot?

I dunno about anybody else, but the narrow tips seem almost unsusable to me. I have to use so much heat I don't even wanna bother. lol

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 10:24 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

I dunno about anybody else, but the narrow tips seem almost unsusable to me. I have to use so much heat I don't even wanna bother. lol

They have their uses but not on the Xbox mobo. Not for me anyway. Lol. They just don’t conduct enough heat. 

2 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

They have their uses but not on the Xbox mobo. Not for me anyway. Lol. They just don’t conduct enough heat. 

I honestly didn't truly realize that the PCB sucked up that much heat. Preheating when doing BGA stuff or IR work in general makes sense along with this. Thank you guys for letting me know.

5 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I honestly didn't truly realize that the PCB sucked up that much heat. Preheating when doing BGA stuff or IR work in general makes sense along with this. Thank you guys for letting me know.

It really does. Especially with how big the heat plane is (and how layered it is) on said pcb. Small tends to be no problem. Bigger like mobos often have a large one. Also lead free solder makes it a pain. Lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

It really does. Especially with how big the heat plane is (and how layered it is) on said pcb. Small tends to be no problem. Bigger like mobos often have a large one. Also lead free solder makes it a pain. Lol

The Xbox mobo will straight piss you off sometimes the way it acts. LOL

• Haha 1