OGXbox.com

Never going to top this online "barn" find!

Shmingers

So I was roaming Kijiji in my area (Toronto, Canada), and I saw an ad for an OG Xbox, selling for $15 CAD. The main pic was just the dusty, dirty lid, so I'm not surprised it wasn't quick to sell, but the second pic was the front. :)

I offered him $40 to meet me at a subway station near to him (across town from me) and he agreed. Long story short, it needs all the typical work (clock cap, power rail caps, deep clean and a new hdd), but it's all there and it works. It's a 1.2 with a Samsung DVD, a 300 gig IDE drive, a very old install of Avalaunch, and some screen flicker. Pretty sure the new power rail caps will take care of the screen flicker. It was starting randomly at first, but that stopped after I removed the clock cap and cleaned up all of the spillage.

I've ordered the internal parts and I'm really looking forward to working on this. I've never had an X3 system before...it's like answering an ad for "old car" and discovering it's a Porsche.

I'd be happy to update this post if anyone's interested!

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fox said:

if the price was $15 why'd you offer $40

To get him to bring the xbox somewhere and snag it before somebody else did.

52 minutes ago, Shmingers said:

So I was roaming Kijiji in my area (Toronto, Canada), and I saw an ad for an OG Xbox, selling for $15 CAD. The main pic was just the dusty, dirty lid, so I'm not surprised it wasn't quick to sell, but the second pic was the front. :)

I offered him $40 to meet me at a subway station near to him (across town from me) and he agreed. Long story short, it needs all the typical work (clock cap, power rail caps, deep clean and a new hdd), but it's all there and it works. It's a 1.2 with a Samsung DVD, a 300 gig IDE drive, a very old install of Avalaunch, and some screen flicker. Pretty sure the new power rail caps will take care of the screen flicker. It was starting randomly at first, but that stopped after I removed the clock cap and cleaned up all of the spillage.

I've ordered the internal parts and I'm really looking forward to working on this. I've never had an X3 system before...it's like answering an ad for "old car" and discovering it's a Porsche.

I'd be happy to update this post if anyone's interested!

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

This is a link for NOS LCDs if the one you have is scratched, corroded on the metal frame, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235069230056?hash=item36bb37cbe8:g:1R0AAOSwDLdknM0k&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwFIizfFxWNdYamT2bJjwZDGAXeeQ%2BuIzt69xwNk04kjKo8QjKhv%2BybnMuDbYqNuRGEZeO25W1XCj9KL8GwHe%2FST8tjmJjCR7ti%2BXdwl4f4rMePB0vcmAe86aPQApiKldpYj6XdW7TNJqnjQ7kgvg8s%2Bdl9kayk%2BtFlYAN%2BCBN6aUO5iNM%2B%2BHWrDQBs%2FgZ4IB4VPBnhlbtT7lCSXw49RTPPzjIioeABqu32%2B1hpFTj8tlIiBderSY7DSO3ilT5KLScg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_DQlYDxYg

I print replacement buttons and would be glad to do so for you as well. Not too bad looking, I think. :)

PXL-20231013-033625522.jpg

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

To get him to bring the xbox somewhere and snag it before somebody else did.

Seemed so. I wouldn't have done that, it may cause a seller to start suspecting his stuff is worth more than he thinks. Lucky he didn't google it.

I print replacement buttons and would be glad to do so for you as well.

That's a nice offer.

2 hours ago, fox said:

if the price was $15 why'd you offer $40

As Bowlsnapper pointed out, I was paying his transit fare, and even at $15 he was under-pricing it. He was selling it as box-only, with no idea if it worked. $40 was a reasonable price for the risk. Even if I was only able to salvage the faceplate, it would have been worth the price paid.

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I print replacement buttons and would be glad to do so for you as well. Not too bad looking, I think. :)

Thanks man, the LCD works fine, and I'll think about the buttons. TBH I'm not too put-off by the exposed switches. I think it gives it character. :)

2 hours ago, Nate2905 said:

You have struck Xecuter gold. The only thing that will top this would be a Blue Halo 2 Special Edition XBOX with a matching X3 panel, Coppermine CPU, 128mb of RAM, and with prototype transparent green XBOX Duke controllers or a pair of Xenia Gamepad V2s to use with a ogx360.

Hah, funny thing is, there's a Bell Canada blue Xbox for sale on my local classifieds...it's a special Canadian model, same as the blue Halo 2 console but it has silver sparkle logos. Watching to see if the price drops...it's sitting at $800, too rich for me TBH.

3 hours ago, Shmingers said:

As Bowlsnapper pointed out, I was paying his transit fare, and even at $15 he was under-pricing it. He was selling it as box-only, with no idea if it worked. $40 was a reasonable price for the risk. Even if I was only able to salvage the faceplate, it would have been worth the price paid.

Thanks man, the LCD works fine, and I'll think about the buttons. TBH I'm not too put-off by the exposed switches. I think it gives it character. :)

I would only ask for enough to help me buy more resin. I would not want more than that. Just hate to see a control panel with missing buttons! 😛