OGXbox.com

New X3 Project

Bowlsnapper

So I pull this thing apart, and this is the solder job I see on an X3, no less:

PXL-20231017-012811608.jpg

Fuck. @fox

Old faceplate...

16975061974558507390756128809766.jpg

New faceplate, with salvaged switch panel and a piece of double sided tape cut to size since the switch panel was being held on to it's front panel with a piece of fucking tape.

16975063566275145971598875262878.jpg

I'll remove the clock cap, and redo the soldering job. May do a 128MB upgrade as well, since I have no control panel for this one.

• Like 1

Yikes on that previous person’s soldering job! I’m with @fox about that squished wire as well. Wow what a mess all around on that board. I have even done any og Xbox hard modding but just from a soldering and electronics perspective that’s rough. Well @Bowlsnapper at least you’ll be able to get their solder off pretty easy. There’s certainly enough of it. Lol This is the same one that had the janky top cover right?

26 minutes ago, fox said:

those traces look totally trashed in the full size image, have fun fixing that idiot's mess

notice that the wires below are always squished on the ground posts in secondhand pre-modded xboxes

does the X3 even still work?

Surprisingly, the X3 works fine and was able to somehow communicate through the LPC through all the cold soldering and oxidation.

PXL-20231017-012324821.jpg

PXL-20231017-012349408.jpg

I accidentally bent the fucking pins for the switch panel socket, but managed to fix and straighten them with tweezers. Sockets fine again.

13 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Yikes on that previous person’s soldering job! I’m with @fox about that squished wire as well. Wow what a mess all around on that board. I have even done any og Xbox hard modding but just from a soldering and electronics perspective that’s rough. Well @Bowlsnapper at least you’ll be able to get their solder off pretty easy. There’s certainly enough of it. Lol This is the same one that had the janky top cover right?

Yeah it looks like the D0 wire got smashed between the board and the standoff. Whoever this bastard was, I salvaged the pin header.

16975100304118102050707515726116.jpg

Guess I'll do another 128 upgrade. I now have 3 X3 boxes

Thankfully those are guaranteed sales... Maybe I should only buy those and do 128 upgrades on all of them. Lol. At least I know they would sell...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Is it just a reflection in that original mobo pic or does C6R7 need some attention as well? I couldn’t tell if it was just dirty with dust and maybe old flux or if (based on that soldering job) they hit it with the iron and messed it up slightly. 

It's good. It was just dusty 😛

PXL-20231017-025245571.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Guess I'll do another 128 upgrade. I now have 3 X3 boxes

have you verified those ram modules you bought are the real deal, not counterfeits? where are they sold? asking cuz I might do another 128mb myself, after finishing my current project

Edited by fox

On 10/16/2023 at 8:50 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

I do smell burnt electronics though as I power down from this test... Just barely...

On 10/16/2023 at 9:35 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Fuck the smell.

I think I've seen you mention a burning smell in other threads as well, what in the world is going on? I'm scared OO

• Haha 1