OGXbox.com

Stellar XboxHD+ no video

TelaKeppi

I've upgraded my old XBlast + XboxHDMI setup to Stellar XboxHD+ kit and after powering on the system I have no video output. There's a green LED in the XboxHD+ PCB but it's not lit. I've measured the 5V pad and I'm getting around 4.91V. I've also replaced the QSB with a newer revision and it's measuring around 130 Ohms. Stellar board have been updated to the latest firmware before installing and the link cable is connected. Anything I'm missing or should I RMA it?

Sounds like an install issue. I'd do a good sweep of the board for stray solder (or conductive pieces) and make sure there aren't any unwanted bridges. I've highlighted one area of interest. It's possible you've already damaged something if any of the bridges (now or previous) dealt with a power rail.

rambridge.png

20 minutes ago, Ernegien said:

Sounds like an install issue. I'd do a good sweep of the board for stray solder (or conductive pieces) and make sure there aren't any unwanted bridges. I've highlighted one area of interest. It's possible you've already damaged something if any of the bridges (now or previous) dealt with a power rail.

rambridge.png

Wow, that's actually glaringly huge. Definitely see what that is and check your connections, if you haven't already.

10 hours ago, Ernegien said:

rambridge.png

Well well well 😁 Had to dug out my magnifier and there's definitely something. Checked for continuity between the legs and there seems to be none. Phew! Removed the speck but the issue remains, I think I'll have to revert back to the old HDMI mod to rule out issues with the Stellar kit.

Thing is, I've already shortened and connected d0 to ground. Which I believe enables bios lookup from LPC port but does not enable the mod chip. My previous chip was Aladdin Xblast that doesn't have BT pad. Is there another way to enable it? 

What about this? It would be nice to see more photos of the install, particularly the flex portion around the encoder, because if I'm picking out multiple stray seemingly-conductive stuff floating around in a high-level blurry photo, there's likely others elsewhere 😄 There's still a real possibility something has been damaged in this process however.

You can leave d0 shorted to ground and it will always boot from LPC, provided you have a functional modchip present.

rambridge2.png

10 hours ago, Marty said:

I always tie D0 to the motherboard ground for chip installs. It just makes it easier if you're testing modchips and moving them around.

I agree! Do you ever find a situation where you needed to use the chip's D0? I don't think I have.

I think that you can just wire a switch between the D0 and the ground if you ever need to disable the chip.

• Like 1

Reverted back to the old XBlast and XboxHDMI. HDMI board is blinking blue LED but no green so no picture. I've definitely damaged the flex install even though I didn't touch it much, only swapped the board and reattached the flex. 

The console does boot with the old XBlast, luckily I've set XBlast OS as a secondary BIOS, makes debugging so much easier. I have no proper equipment to reflow the flex so I'll contact the repair shop where it was originally installed.

Also checked all the ram chips, there was a blob of solder in the other chip as well. I removed that but it looked like that may have been there since the ram upgrade.

8 hours ago, TelaKeppi said:

Reverted back to the old XBlast and XboxHDMI. HDMI board is blinking blue LED but no green so no picture. I've definitely damaged the flex install even though I didn't touch it much, only swapped the board and reattached the flex. 

The console does boot with the old XBlast, luckily I've set XBlast OS as a secondary BIOS, makes debugging so much easier. I have no proper equipment to reflow the flex so I'll contact the repair shop where it was originally installed.

Also checked all the ram chips, there was a blob of solder in the other chip as well. I removed that but it looked like that may have been there since the ram upgrade.

What exactly is the purpose of "upgrading" to the HD+? At least with the XboxHDMI you could use it with any chip, although only a couple bioses.

33 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

What exactly is the purpose of "upgrading" to the HD+? At least with the XboxHDMI you could use it with any chip, although only a couple bioses.

Exactly that. Unless the BIOS patches are integrated in something decent like Cerbios, there's only bad and worse alternatives for my use case.

42 minutes ago, TelaKeppi said:

Exactly that. Unless the BIOS patches are integrated in something decent like Cerbios, there's only bad and worse alternatives for my use case.

Right... the only reason 3rd party bios support was added was so that it could be used alone, since the Stellar didn't exist yet and MakeMHZ had to be forced to allow it to work with regular chips. That's why they supported bioses that nobody wanted to really use. They would never have supported Cerbios. Once the Stellar was funded and released, they went ahead and immediately moved a vital part of the HD+ over to the chip so that it now cannot function without it... for no reason other than they could.

What is bad and worse, to you? 

Also, is there any reason why the XboxHDMI would NOT have worked with Stellar?

I'm not following your logic, but there is currently no true HDMI product available that isn't tied to a software. Before the XboxHDMI I used X2 4981. With specific bios patches required that's not possible. iND is messing with my partitions = Bad, M8 doesn't support 128Mb = Worse. I'm fine with a product that ties hardware and software in single package if it has all the features I need. Like now with the latest firmware 128Mb support, 1.4GHz support and working partition utility, everything I need should be covered.

And the Stellar upgrade kits were sold out so I opted for a full set. I figured I'll use the original in some of my other Xboxes.

On 9/20/2023 at 3:28 PM, ghost2916 said:

Same problem here. No power LED on the board. I'm using one with Openxenium. Kit arrived a couple days ago.

Awesome news! Turns out that the new kits don't work without Stellar so that's why mine isn't working. Sorry folks, gonna have to buy our $100 chip if you want HDMI....🤡

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TelaKeppi said:

I'm not following your logic, but there is currently no true HDMI product available that isn't tied to a software. Before the XboxHDMI I used X2 4981. With specific bios patches required that's not possible. iND is messing with my partitions = Bad, M8 doesn't support 128Mb = Worse. I'm fine with a product that ties hardware and software in single package if it has all the features I need. Like now with the latest firmware 128Mb support, 1.4GHz support and working partition utility, everything I need should be covered.

And the Stellar upgrade kits were sold out so I opted for a full set. I figured I'll use the original in some of my other Xboxes.

PixelFx should have support added to the Retro Gem soon. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

20 hours ago, TelaKeppi said:

... Nevermind.

@ghost2916 Thank you for letting me know I'm not INSANE.

On 9/22/2023 at 5:05 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

Right... the only reason 3rd party bios support was added was so that it could be used alone, since the Stellar didn't exist yet and MakeMHZ had to be forced to allow it to work with regular chips. That's why they supported bioses that nobody wanted to really use. They would never have supported Cerbios. Once the Stellar was funded and released, they went ahead and immediately moved a vital part of the HD+ over to the chip so that it now cannot function without it... for no reason other than they could.

What is bad and worse, to you? 

Also, is there any reason why the XboxHDMI would NOT have worked with Stellar?

so some history. this was a broke. eBay Xbox with the switch already existing for a x2.3. I just repurposed it for my OX.

this is how I got the console

https://imgur.com/a/sZIC4NK

Edited by lopenator

9 minutes ago, lopenator said:

so some history. this was a broke. eBay Xbox with the switch already existing for a x2.3. I just repurposed it for my OX.

this is how I got the console

https://imgur.com/a/sZIC4NK

That's a pretty decent scorch mark by the TSOP there. Looks to be the D0 point. Are you saying that that's where you got the idea for the ground switch?

Buy a shit ton of these s you always have them  :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JRWCBU?psc=1&smid=ASGOPLX5TLJL1&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

You're welcome 😛