OGXbox.com

Learned something about flashing Cerbios...

Marty

I prepped a version 1.2 today for TSOP flashing. Everything went well, I flashed Evox M8 BIOS to it and set up the disk with the latest Hexen disk.

A little later, I decided to flash Cerbios 2.3.1 to it and I chose UDMA4.

This is a stock hard drive, so when I would boot up, it would give me an error 13 code....then boot me into Cerbios Safe Mode. No problem, the TSOP wasn't ruined or anything, so I was able to re-flash it, this time with UDMA2. The things you learn....

I'm just going to put this console on the shelf for now until I'm ready to do the rest of my mods. I plan on using UDMA5 with a cheap IDE-to-SATA adapter that I've used successfully on three other TSOP'ed machines.

41 minutes ago, Marty said:

I prepped a version 1.2 today for TSOP flashing. Everything went well, I flashed Evox M8 BIOS to it and set up the disk with the latest Hexen disk.

This is a stock hard drive, so when I would boot up, it would give me an error 13 code....then boot me into Cerbios Safe Mode. No problem, the TSOP wasn't ruined or anything, so I was able to re-flash it, this time with UDMA2. The things you learn....

I'm just going to put this console on the shelf for now until I'm ready to do the rest of my mods. I plan on using UDMA5 with a cheap IDE-to-SATA adapter that I've used successfully on three other TSOP'ed machines.

Yes, the automatic Safe Mode a nice feature.  If for some reason Cerbios didnt detect a wrong UDMA mode, you could also boot in to safe mode yourself by powering on the Xbox with the eject button.  Its a really good BIOS although Im still not a big fan of the logo.

14 hours ago, Marty said:

Make sure the cheap adapter you buy has a jumper for master/slave/cable select unless you're willing to loose access to the DVD drive.  I've learned the hard way that not all cheap adapters are made equal and ended up ordering a startech at 2.5x the price when the cheap one I got didn't have the jumper.  Given the reputation of the startech though, I don't think I'll be disappointment when it arrives.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Make sure the cheap adapter you buy has a jumper for master/slave/cable select unless you're willing to loose access to the DVD drive.  I've learned the hard way that not all cheap adapters are made equal and ended up ordering a startech at 2.5x the price when the cheap one I got didn't have the jumper.  Given the reputation of the startech though, I don't think I'll be disappointment when it arrives.

Yes sir. Don't get stuck without a jumper. Both of the startechs I've used work great. I had to use Master this time with my second one, instead of Cable Select. BFM installers may not work unless preformatted with fatxplorer for Cerbios. That was a fuckin weird problem. Couldn't use cable select or I would get an error. But yeah, it works well.

• Like 1