OGXbox.com

Is there really no way to compile an .xbe without a Windows XP VM and Visual C++ 2003?

IoI_xD

The .xbe file format seems to be reverse engineered, but as far as actually compiling them goes, you still need to use Microsoft's official tools from 2003? Which also means not being able to use modern C/C++ features...?

I'm having a hard time believing this. Are my Googling skills just bad, or has nobody bothered to fork gcc or clang or modern?

Edited by IoI_xD
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, IoI_xD said:

The .xbe file format seems to be reverse engineered, but as far as actually compiling them goes, you still need to use Microsoft's official tools from 2003? Which also means not being able to use modern C/C++ features...?

I'm having a hard time believing this. Are my Googling skills just bad, or has nobody bothered to fork gcc or clang or modern?

I wonder this too sometimes... I think so, yeah.

On 7/30/2023 at 2:46 AM, antonic901 said:

You have NXDK which is open source development software suite for original xbox. Hovever it's not near complete, the biggest drawback is that it doesn't offer any API similar to DirectX. But it offers C++20, Micropython, JSON support etc.

Indeed, when I made that post I didn't see that it came with an "exe to xbe" converter. So I guess that's the answer here.

2 hours ago, IoI_xD said:

Indeed, when I made that post I didn't see that it came with an "exe to xbe" converter. So I guess that's the answer here.

Um, I remember that being a part of CXBX... didn't do what I thought it did, and there's no way to really debug or test the software in that state...