OGXbox.com

XBMC4Gamers DVD Drive not reading

Hacktivist

Hello!

To start, I have successfully completed a stellar HD+ install on my 1.0 Xbox. I was using it all fine with no issues and a stock HDD for a few weeks now. I finally decided to upgrade my HDD to a 4TB for game storage and run a custom dashboard. Went though the process via the Project Stellar tool and the drive reads correctly and is formatted the right way.

I successfully installed the dashboard through FTP and downloaded the stock one through the downloader (the main reason I went with this dash was for the downloader) and now my disc drive won't read any games that I know work. I have tested multiple IDE Cables (both 40 and 80 wire) and 3 dvd drives that I know work for sure and none are able to read discs anymore in this console.

I'm still fairly new to this scene so I do not know what to troubleshoot. I've tried google and found nothing so I figure I'll try the site where all the Pro's are at who may have experienced this issue before. Let me know if I can provide any more info to help figure this out.

Thanks

IDE cable, wether 40 or 80 wire, shouldn’t t have any bearing on the drive not reading discs. I could be wrong. 

The more details you can provide, the easier it will be to troubleshoot. 

Does the disc spin at all?

Are you certain you plugged the drive back in during assembly? 

Did it work fine before installation of stellar? 

it’s highly possible that you borked the mobo by accident, during installation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the questions to jog my memory.

Disc spins and I can hear the drive turn on. I know for sure its fully plugged in as I verified it.

DVD drive worked after install of stellar and HDMI mod. I was only using discs. Issue only came up after I installed a new drive and FTP'd xbmc4gamers. I know the motherboard is working fine from testing a game backup I FTP'd over. The spinning disc in xbmc4 shows up spinning as busy, and then nothing. When I press start to launch the disc nothing happens. 

DVD2Xbox freezes once the disc is read (assuming it reads the disc since it works without a disc and only freezes up when I put one in after a few seconds of reading it).

The drive I put in was a WD Blue 4tb from best buy with an amazon sata adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZC9B2NR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blue-4tb-internal-sata-hard-drive-for-desktops/9026007.p?skuId=9026007

I will swap the original drive back in since it was not wiped after work and update if that fixed my issue. If it does I'm guessing this could be compatibility with project stellar. I did not think it was at first since the console did fully work before HDD swap. I did find a log feature after playing around with xbmc I can provide after work as well.

Thanks for your time guys!

maybe good to double check if the jumpers are correct, so master - slave. And does the game boot from disc if you turn on XBOX with disc in it? It can show if it is maybe a dashboard issue. Could also be a region thing. Check if your XBOX region matches that of the discs. You can switch it with Enigmah

• Like 1

You might totally be right!

I believe I forgot to check the jumper for the correct setting. Hopefully it is something as simple as that. Could that cause this issue even though the drive itself works and FTP's successfully?

From fresh boot with a disc in it, it goes right into xbmc even with the auto launch setting on.

I can say that I don't think region is an issue as I did play several games before swapping the HDD. Project stellar supposedly unlocks regions/changes them on the fly and that setting is enabled in the Stellar bios. It is a Japanese motherboard since the build is in a skeleton black Xbox with the original motherboard so if it was region issues I would assume this issue or something else would have happened already given my collection is almost entirely NTSC-U.

I'll make sure the region checks out with Enigmah should the jumper be set correctly already.

Different hard drives have different power requirements.  It could be the hard drive you installed in your system is drawing too much power causing the DVD drive to malfunction as the DVD drive is not getting the power it needs.   That is why I would be curious if installing your old hard drive fixed the issue.

In conjunction, you could also have some capacitors starting to go bad in either the DVD drive and/or Xbox motherboard/power supply.  It may be the Xbox is still running fine with a couple of capacitors starting to fail but when you put in a hard drive that consumes more power you see problems in the system that you normally wouldnt if all the capacitors were new.

Edited by RMM
  • Like 1

Update -

Old hard drive works and reads games without issue through the dvd drive. Boots to regular bios and inserting games works as intended. I'm leaning toward the power issue with the drive pulling too much unless there are any other ideas. Going to test switching the jumper here now.

I do not think it is board capacitors as I recapped the board successfully with no issues. I have not touched the power supply because I didn't want to mess with the goop on the caps lol, hopefully it isn't that.

It turned out to be the sata adapter for the HDD!

I checked the adapter out compared to the image on the listing and there wasn't even a jumper on it! Do not buy from that link as the entire board looks different from the advertisement. This is why I didn't even think to check the jumper from the get go.

I remembered I had an old one laying around from a previous Xbox purchase, did some digging and found it. Popped it in after checking the jumper and worked great. So glad it wasn't a serious hardware issue!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted.
Just a tip for the future that you may already be aware of…

You may experience ongoing complications with cheaper SATA adapters. They can also cause extremely slow boot/load times and most importantly, probably can’t support the ideal UDMA of your HDD. Startech adapters are the most popular these days  for good reason. I’m sure there are some others out there that are comparable, but I’ve yet to find them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Glad you got it sorted.
Just a tip for the future that you may already be aware of…

You may experience ongoing complications with cheaper SATA adapters. They can also cause extremely slow boot/load times and most importantly, probably can’t support the ideal UDMA of your HDD. Startech adapters are the most popular these days  for good reason. I’m sure there are some others out there that are comparable, but I’ve yet to find them. 

Startech is the only way to go from my experience. I've had nothing but problems out of other IDE SATA adapters.