OGXbox.com

1.0 with crackly audio?

Shmingers

Hi everyone, I picked up a never-opened "for repair" 1.0 Xbox...the previous owner mentioned it would boot, but had audio issues. I've seen many issues that turned out to very minor fixes, so I said what the heck I'll give it a shot.

He was right. It boots fine, but the audio has severe crackling whenever a sound should be playing. Boot sequence, main menu, games, all have crackling noise over the audio.

I've tried the obvious things like changing the IDE cable, cleaning all contact points in the AV port, opening it and giving it a thorough cleaning, plus removing the clock cap. There was some clock cap leakage, but nothing too severe. I checked the traces and everything seems in order. I even tried cleaning the spots under the screws to make sure there was proper grounding.

Is it possible there's clock cap acid damage to the audio hardware? Does the MCPX chip control the audio?

I'm trying to determine whether this board can be salvaged, or whether I should just stop trying and just replace it. Thanks all in advance!

9 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Looks like you’ve tried a lot so far. I can’t help but notice that you didn’t mention trying a different composite or component cable. That would have been the very first thing that I tried to save some time. 

Hi, yes sorry I didn't mention that I tried it with the original composite AV cable it came with, the composite AV cable from my own Xbox, and a Pound cable I keep for testing. No luck on any of the three. Exact same problem.

6 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

How do the other Caps look?

The other caps on the board are flat with no leakage, including the power rail caps. TBH I assumed it was those myself, until I opened it.

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Also, what happens when you set the output to "stereo" instead of DOLBY SURROUND?

In fact, what ARE your audio settings?

Out of curiosity, I soft-modded the unit to see if broader access to the settings would help, but no. And yes it's in stereo.  :(

10 hours ago, Shmingers said:

Hi, yes sorry I didn't mention that I tried it with the original composite AV cable it came with, the composite AV cable from my own Xbox, and a Pound cable I keep for testing. No luck on any of the three. Exact same problem.

The other caps on the board are flat with no leakage, including the power rail caps. TBH I assumed it was those myself, until I opened it.

Out of curiosity, I soft-modded the unit to see if broader access to the settings would help, but no. And yes it's in stereo.  :(

That's a major let down. Just wanted to see if that might kick it out of its stubbornness. :P sometimes it really is that simple.

• Like 1