OGXbox.com

Is anyone working on a way to disable anti-ailising?

The checkerboard picture does a better job illustrating the issue, and FBX explains what’s happening over at shmups: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1289166#p1289166

Followup on my hair-pulling struggle trying to find optimal H. samplerate on 480p for XBOX:

It turns out the default value of 858 for 720x480p really was correct for XBOX after all. Strange as it may seem, the software itself is stretching the graphics of games, causing internal linear interpolation of some of the graphics. In Capcom vs SNK EO for example, the original 640 horizontal graphics are extended to 654, and pre-drawn graphics are getting partially interpolated. This shows up really nice and ugly on the S-N-K groove meters that have grid sections. They were pre-drawn at 640 res, and then the 656 stretch makes them look like shit. 

I wish there was some way to turn this off and 'force' XBOX to output 1:1 pixel ratios, but at least now I know I'm no going crazy with why my OSSC techniques weren't working on the XBOX 480p mode.”

Edited by ChronicHedgehog

2 minutes ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

The check board picture does a better job illustrating the issue, and FBX explains what’s happening over at shmups: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1289166#p1289166

Followup on my hair-pulling struggle trying to find optimal H. samplerate on 480p for XBOX:

It turns out the default value of 858 for 720x480p really was correct for XBOX after all. Strange as it may seem, the software itself is stretching the graphics of games, causing internal linear interpolation of some of the graphics. In Capcom vs SNK EO for example, the original 640 horizontal graphics are extended to 654, and pre-drawn graphics are getting partially interpolated. This shows up really nice and ugly on the S-N-K groove meters that have grid sections. They were pre-drawn at 640 res, and then the 656 stretch makes them look like shit. 

I wish there was some way to turn this off and 'force' XBOX to output 1:1 pixel ratios, but at least now I know I'm no going crazy with why my OSSC techniques weren't working on the XBOX 480p mode.”

... Can anybody explain this in more lay terms? Why was widescreen 480 the proper resolution? Is shit getting crushed when in 4:3 and causing improper scaling?

48 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

... Can anybody explain this in more lay terms? Why was widescreen 480 the proper resolution? Is shit getting crushed when in 4:3 and causing improper scaling?

Its a software problem in game code, like it was said in the post.

nvidia chip outputs native 640x480, goes trough encoder transform that resolution into industry standard for SDTV 720x480p

Widescreen is same resolution as 4:3, but anamorphic. Actually widescreen is less sharp.

xboxHD is tapping into raw 640x480, is up to xboxHD chip to output it

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, prtscn said:

Its a software problem in game code, like it was said in the post.

Well soreeee! 😛

18 hours ago, prtscn said:

nvidia chip outputs native 640x480, goes trough encoder transform that resolution into industry standard for SDTV 720x480p

Widescreen is same resolution as 4:3, but anamorphic. Actually widescreen is less sharp.

xboxHD is tapping into raw 640x480, is up to xboxHD chip to output it

17 hours ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

To elaborate, rather than simply place the 640x480 inside of a 720x480 frame, the Xbox stretches the image to another resolution first. This is responsible for the blurred and uneven pixels.

Thank you guys for the explanation. I understood that. I HATE improper scaling management. I'm surprised that that's how things were done. I DO know that the widescreen patches (non-720p) were anamorphic and they never looked good to me. The origins games (not sure if this is just how 4:3 looks when displaying in widescreen) are all stretched out and it really really bothers me. I feel like anything that's not 720p should just be played on a 4:3 CRT.