OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.xx SneakPeak!

NeMesiS

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

As you can see the DVD bezel is just like, a fucking MICROMETER up too high, but I doubt it would be noticed.

Yea, every console is slightly different and not every print is the same, it's difficult to get it to be 100% perfect every time.

Xerc also works just fine and it's fun to play with a feature that I've only heard about but never actually installed.

Glad you like it, wasn't a product that sold very well so I'll probably discontinue the XERC with a better idea I have.

Good kit, Nem! Very cool and nice work. It assembles and performs as well as any well designed 3d printed kit can. I'm impressed.

Thanks for the feedback @Bowlsnapper

Sigh... I'm gonna have to put LEDs in this thing, I already know...Fuck.

LoL... I got a RGB bundle for that with XERC implementation.

AIL4fc8ltm3rUIT6e8eIUpRNGn610VMCbkbKqRLe

AIL4fc_YtNnjwPT7br15kpwbrYXCMMb1Vvyb-F0n

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

As you can see the DVD bezel is just like, a fucking MICROMETER up too high, but I doubt it would be noticed.

Actually, it could be the tabs on the RF shielding that sometimes pushes the DVD bezel bracket backwards creating that gap. I didn't think that was going to be an issue with this bracket as it butts up to the HDD caddy. But what I did for the slimmer standalone bracket was add a couple of screws on the underside to allow some adjustment.

AIL4fc_bogsr4ogbgHqsh8kSFNgHTS55bvRI0Vsb

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Yea, every console is slightly different and not every print is the same, it's difficult to get it to be 100% perfect every time.

Glad you like it, wasn't a product that sold very well so I'll probably discontinue the XERC with a better idea I have.

Thanks for the feedback @Bowlsnapper

LoL... I got a RGB bundle for that with XERC implementation.

AIL4fc8ltm3rUIT6e8eIUpRNGn610VMCbkbKqRLe

AIL4fc_YtNnjwPT7br15kpwbrYXCMMb1Vvyb-F0n

........ I need that now. Lol.

AIL4fc89rdrVIBDKt47yxhVr47w-_QUvBi25YCjo

AIL4fc91biLsRGGFR1qaQxFYhusXB1Rg3Fu7122q

AIL4fc_hh7gicJcSJUv9kySSR7cJ-ovEKfZ7ZYHh

Someone asked me this mourning if they could program an "OpenXenium" with the "XeniumPGR". Well, they can now with this adaptor board...

Why wouldn't they just use XBlast? Interesting...

Actually, it could be the tabs on the RF shielding that sometimes pushes the DVD bezel bracket backwards creating that gap. I didn't think that was going to be an issue with this bracket as it butts up to the HDD caddy. But what I did for the slimmer standalone bracket was add a couple of screws on the underside to allow some adjustment.

AIL4fc_bogsr4ogbgHqsh8kSFNgHTS55bvRI0Vsb

You and Trench have the right idea! :) I like it! :)

• Like 1

Hey @NeMesiS, if you're selling the kits on your site, I would definitely throw in the ice kit or maybe as a package option, but the Xerc may be so cheap, I would try to bundle that in. How many people actually choose to install it when they receive it? I can't imagine why they wouldn't. Not saying you're a liar though! :P

I noticed that I was getting some blowback from the caddy fans with your setup, so I'm assuming that not all the airflow is being taken advantage of, but then that got me thinking: where is the caddy pulling it's air from up top? Are you sure it's actually doing it's job? Or is it just kinda swashing the air around? Looked like my temps were fine, including the GPU which used to have a fan on it since it's a 1.0, but I truthfully never placed it under a load. I will today.

Edit: Does the Xerc interact with the Ice bundle?

I really wish there were a way to secure the solderless adapter without bolting the mobo to the case. I hate detaching and reattaching a modchip to the motherboard every time I take it out. Makes me fuckin' nervous.

Looking at your bundle tier post, I can see you've already put thought into what you're bundling.

So, what's the difference between a regular openxenium and the Ice version? I feel like I'm missing something very major with all this. I guess the Ice interacts with the lighting controller maybe?

3 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

Yup.

The EEPROM of the chip only works when enabled? Or does it overwrite the xboxes EEPROM also and mirror the video/audio settings and whatever else? I'm fuzzy on that. ... Or is it only the mobo EEPROM that mages that and the chip EEPROM just manages chip settings? Where does it begin and end?

Is there any reason why anybody would flash the cpld of a xenium other than to match a bios update with extra features and settings?

9 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The EEPROM of the chip only works when enabled? Or does it overwrite the xboxes EEPROM also and mirror the video/audio settings and whatever else? I'm fuzzy on that. ... Or is it only the mobo EEPROM that mages that and the chip EEPROM just manages chip settings? Where does it begin and end?

Is there any reason why anybody would flash the cpld of a xenium other than to match a bios update with extra features and settings?

No, nothing to do with the Xbox Eeprom.

In essence it's really dead simple. The Xbox has the inbuilt option from factory to load either the onboard flash (TSOP) or if and only if, either D0 or LFrame are grounded the MCPX then says ignore the TSOP, we need to load the BIOS from the LPC port.

Now, you can just have another flash chip sat on the LPC port (cheapmod) without any CPLD, and it will load the BIOS from there instead, like a second TSOP.

Where the CPLD comes into play is for say bios bank selection or OS system load instead of a dumb flash chip.

So you have the VHDL code to program the CPLD, this is the instruction set, and the 2mb Flash on the chip has 1mb reserved for the xenium OS to sit there. So once the CPLD says right, access that OS bank it fires up the Xenium OS from the onboard flash. You can then load your BIOS you select and all your other options.

That's it in basic terms, so to speeak. Then the BIOS takes over as you know.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

You write the CPLD in the corresponding ISE suite for the CPLD with the Jed file. Occasionally Ryzee will issue an update for the CPLD code to fix issues etc or improvements. This must be done via JTAG to the CPLD JTAG points which is what Nem has added there. Also he added the option to program the flash with the XeniumOS, which you can't do with Xblast etc, you need the Xenium program or you can use a JTAG chain and external programmer, which is why he added it.

You could just solder onto the pads of Nem's chip to update it in the Xilinx ISE suite, or some other JTAG software some use (forgot the name) I used the Xilinx Suite myself when I was making loads of chips as it has the extra features etc.

But you know Nem with his OCD :) He doesn't sleep well when nonces start soldering wires onto his masterpiece leaving residue afterwards haha

You could prolly get away with just holding the JTAG pins against his chip pads as it only takes 7 seconds to burn the fuse map onto the CPLD.

Again, he'd prolly cringe at that lol

1 hour ago, trencherfield said:

You could prolly get away with just holding the JTAG pins against his chip pads as it only takes 7 seconds to burn the fuse map onto the CPLD.

Again, he'd prolly cringe at that lol

I actually had to do this with the older XeniumICE design. Super pain in the bum when you're doing hundreds of them. CLPD pads are on the underside (component side) on the newer XeniumICE modchip design and LPC pads are on the topside. The programmer was mostly for myself to make my job easier, but I think there are some in the community that could use it also.

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I noticed that I was getting some blowback from the caddy fans with your setup, so I'm assuming that not all the airflow is being taken advantage of, but then that got me thinking: where is the caddy pulling it's air from up top? Are you sure it's actually doing it's job? Or is it just kinda swashing the air around?

Perhaps the fan speed is to high not allowing enough time for the escaping air to be exhausted (at a guess). How high do you have the 80mm fans set to?

Edit: Does the Xerc interact with the Ice bundle?

A little bit but nothing special. Since I had much of the traces running through the hub, integrating XERC into the design would make the installation of XERC much easier.

So, what's the difference between a regular openxenium and the Ice version? I feel like I'm missing something very major with all this. I guess the Ice interacts with the lighting controller maybe?

OpenXenium and XeniumICE both use the same firmware and OS so there essentially the same but my hardware design was a replica of the original XeniumICE deisgn by TeamXodus/ozXodus.

Edited by NeMesiS

11 hours ago, pgrablow said:

Is there already an estimated release date for this awesome fan mod? I would buy it immediately, even if the shipping costs to Germany hurts.

Great work!! 👍🏻👍🏻

10 hours ago, LM666 said:

Likewise waiting on the fan mod. Happy to pay whatever it costs honestly, looks so damn good!

I'll have to start working towards 3D printing the dual fan caddies. I just checked how much filament I have in stock and I don't have enough to produce more than a couple of caddies. This might give us the opportunity to discuss filaments...

So, for the past 2-3 years that I've been 3D printing I had been using PLA+ from "www.3dfillies.com". I've had a good experience using PLA+ as it has alot more flexibility than standard PLA which can be brittle and break easily.

With the sort of temps that were getting I don't think there will be any issue with continuing to use PLA+. However, with my new printers I could print with PETG but will ultimately cost more due to the higher temps and slower prints speeds required plus that PETG cost's around 50% more than PLA+ filament.

And if you add up all the components that need to be printed there's quite alot of hours of printing involved for a complete kit (including the HDD caddy, etc.). Constantly monitoring and resetting printers for more prints nonstop for 3-4 weeks at a time it takes a toll. I fear that PETG will just increase my workload and unnecessarily increase the price of manufacturing the product.

And this is why I would like to eventually get things plastic mold injected. The problem being the initial cost of a mold but after that it should be relatively smooth sailing. I live in a large town about and fortunately there are a couple of mold injection businesses local to me, potentially saving on shipping and storage fees for the molds.

In the long run mold injection could be the cheaper option compared to 3D printing. Especially if a can get a steady rate of sales for a particular 3D design like the dual fan caddy as for example.

Edited by NeMesiS

3 hours ago, trencherfield said:

No, nothing to do with the Xbox Eeprom.

In essence it's really dead simple. The Xbox has the inbuilt option from factory to load either the onboard flash (TSOP) or if and only if, either D0 or LFrame are grounded the MCPX then says ignore the TSOP, we need to load the BIOS from the LPC port.

Now, you can just have another flash chip sat on the LPC port (cheapmod) without any CPLD, and it will load the BIOS from there instead, like a second TSOP.

Where the CPLD comes into play is for say bios bank selection or OS system load instead of a dumb flash chip.

So you have the VHDL code to program the CPLD, this is the instruction set, and the 2mb Flash on the chip has 1mb reserved for the xenium OS to sit there. So once the CPLD says right, access that OS bank it fires up the Xenium OS from the onboard flash. You can then load your BIOS you select and all your other options.

That's it in basic terms, so to speeak. Then the BIOS takes over as you know.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I finally understand. Lol. I didn't know xeniumos took up a whole meg. Wow. 

10 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

I'll have to start working towards 3D printing the dual fan caddies. I just checked how much filament I have in stock and I don't have enough to produce more than a couple of caddies. This might give us the opportunity to discuss filaments...

So, for the past 2-3 years that I've been 3D printing I had been using PLA+ from "www.3dfillies.com". I've had a good experience using PLA+ as it has alot more flexibility than standard PLA which can be brittle and break easily.

With the sort of temps that were getting I don't think there will be any issue with continuing to use PLA+. However, with my new printers I could print with PETG but will ultimately cost more due to the higher temps and slower prints speeds required plus that PETG cost's around 50% more than PLA+ filament.

And if you add up all the components that need to be printed there's quite alot of hours of printing involved for a complete kit (including the HDD caddy, etc.). Constantly monitoring and resetting printers for more prints nonstop for 3-4 weeks at a time it takes a toll. I fear that PETG will just increase my workload and unnecessarily increase the price of manufacturing the product.

And this is why I would like to eventually get things plastic mold injected. The problem being the initial cost of a mold but after that it should be relatively smooth sailing. I live in a large town about and fortunately there are a couple of mold injection businesses local to me, potentially saving on shipping and storage fees for the molds.

In the long run mold injection could be the cheaper option compared to 3D printing. Especially if a can get a steady rate of sales for a particular 3D design like the dual fan caddy as for example.

Mate, you do what is ultimately best for you. If you setup a patreon or a gofund etc, feel free to message and ill flick some cash. Legitimately love the work you are doing. Otherwise, best i can offer is use of my printer as i'm approx 1hr from you (however i know you wish to keep stl's etc close to you so will not ask)

Keep innovating, your products are part of the reason i fall back in love with modding consoles again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LM666 said:

Mate, you do what is ultimately best for you. If you setup a patreon or a gofund etc, feel free to message and ill flick some cash. Legitimately love the work you are doing. Otherwise, best i can offer is use of my printer as i'm approx 1hr from you (however i know you wish to keep stl's etc close to you so will not ask)

Keep innovating, your products are part of the reason i fall back in love with modding consoles again.

Thanks mate, much appreciated...

Yea, while I'm still developing hardware I think it would be best to stick with PLA+ for the time being as if I were to start printing PETG I would have to create new slicing profile to suit and to try and match the level of quality I'm currently getting with PLA+.

It took me a solid week to tweak the settings for PLA+ filament.

My regular supplier of PLA+ filament is currently out of stock of black PLA+ filament and has been for over a month now "www.3dfillies.com". So, I'm going to try out a few rolls of "Sunlu" PLA+ and see how it compares. "Sunlu" could be the better option as I'm able to get them from multiple sources unlike "3dfillies".

7 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

My regular supplier of PLA+ filament is currently out of stock of black PLA+ filament and has been for over a month now "www.3dfillies.com". So, I'm going to try out a few rolls of "Sunlu" PLA+ and see how it compares. "Sunlu" could be the better option as I'm able to get them from multiple sources unlike "3dfillies".

In my experience, Sunlu has been junk PLA+ that needs repeated attempts in a dehydrator to get reliable. I personally recommend eSun filament as it rarely lets me down. Attached is a print i had done before i and adjusted my slicer profile and upgraded printer (was mostly a stock e3v2)

pump_case.jpg

4 minutes ago, LM666 said:

In my experience, Sunlu has been junk PLA+ that needs repeated attempts in a dehydrator to get reliable. I personally recommend eSun filament as it rarely lets me down. Attached is a print i had done before i and adjusted my slicer profile and upgraded printer (was mostly a stock e3v2)

pump_case.jpg

Damn... I just paid for 4 rolls on eBay, hopefully I can cancel it since I only just placed the order. What I might do is order 1 of each to see what results I get from my printers to play it safe. Using 3x Ender-3 S1 Pro's, failures have been at a minimum with these things. I would expect some different results using direct extrusion.

So, I'm having a bit of a grace period before ordering the next prototype batch in case any last ideas pop up. This will also give me a bit of time to catch up on things at home...

Been thinking that I would really like an intro video for YouTube videos and Cerbios. I like things to have a bit of a nostalgic vibe to them. Funny enough I watched "RoboCop" the other night and the "Orion" intro gave me that vibe.

AIL4fc9YcHtrBDb7pRG_5YCIXByPW28KppTwPSMN

Would like to do an "Xenium" themed intro based on the "Orion" intro, the colors are rather fitting being "blue", "black" and "white". Instead of that cluster of stars outlining the "O" in orion, we could have a star outlining each letters for "Xenium". Came across the above wallpaper which I thought would make a great background.

Interested in what the community think of the idea...

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1